Would you rather be stuck in a highstorm with:

Tamriel Wolfsbaine

Would you rather be stuck in a high storm with:  

31 members have voted

1. 1. As an unpowered human which Radiant order would you rather be stuck in a highstorm with?

• Wind Runner
    • Skybreaker
    • Dustbringer
    • Edgedancer
    • Truthwatcher
    • Lightweaver
    • Elsecaller
    • Willshaper
    • Stoneward
    • Bondsmith

Pretty simple question. If you were stuck in the middle of a large desert with no shelter available which order would you rely on to keep you alive?  They have enough stormlight for some basic surgebinding to start. 

Would your answer change if you were there with a group of people?  Massive family reunion perhaps? 

I feel like there are only a couple orders that are fairly limited in what they could do. I wonder if the stoneward could stoneshape a whole city for the family in the duration of a highstorm given they would have pretty near infinite supply of stormlight once the storm is upon you. Just starting with enough shelter for the initial hit to not lose their protectee(s).  

22 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Pretty simple question. If you were stuck in the middle of a large desert with no shelter available which order would you rely on to keep you alive?  They have enough stormlight for some basic surgebinding to start. 

Would your answer change if you were there with a group of people?  Massive family reunion perhaps? 

I feel like there are only a couple orders that are fairly limited in what they could do. I wonder if the stoneward could stoneshape a whole city for the family in the duration of a highstorm given they would have pretty near infinite supply of stormlight once the storm is upon you. Just starting with enough shelter for the initial hit to not lose their protectee(s).  

Deserts on Roshar are rocky, not sandy.

Do I need to remain in the Highstorm? Because Windrunners and Skybreakers can fly me above it so I can just wait through it. Lightweavers and Elsecallers can soulcast a storm bunker around me, Elsecallers and Willshapers can transport me into CR where I can safely wait for Highstorm to end, Edgedancers  and Truthwatchers can heal me constantly, Willshapers and Stonewards can build a storm bunker around me. Maybe even Dustbringers and Edgedancers could reduce my friction to 0, so winds would just slip around me. And Bondsmith, well, he can connect me to the ground like Ishar did or open perpendicularity to transport me to CR. 

Highstorm itself would provide limitless Stormlight for Radiants.

Windrunner seems obvious. . . at first. We've seen Kaladin deflect a Highstorm briefly to protect people, after all. Plus, they (and Skybreakers) could fly you up away from the storm to safety.

Other Orders could protect too though. 

Willshaper and Stoneward could bury you beneath Roshar's stone to keep you safe.

Elsecallers could send you to Shadesmar to stay safe, though that may end up becoming more dangerous than the storm in the long run.

Elsecaller and Lightweaver could create bunker to keep you safe.

Dustbringer could carve out a cubby to hide in more easily that just with a blade.

Bondsmith, so long as they're Bonded to the Stormfather, just tell the storm to go around them (could also open up an easier path to and from Shadesmar than Elsecaller if needed). So, I choose Bondsmith if they're the Stormfather's Bondsmith. Otherwise, I choose Windrunner due to their flight, pressure manipulation, and natural inclination to protect.

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

Windrunner seems obvious. . . at first. We've seen Kaladin deflect a Highstorm briefly to protect people, after all. Plus, they (and Skybreakers) could fly you up away from the storm to safety.

Other Orders could protect too though. 

Willshaper and Stoneward could bury you beneath Roshar's stone to keep you safe.

Elsecallers could send you to Shadesmar to stay safe, though that may end up becoming more dangerous than the storm in the long run.

Elsecaller and Lightweaver could create bunker to keep you safe.

Dustbringer could carve out a cubby to hide in more easily that just with a blade.

Bondsmith, so long as they're Bonded to the Stormfather, just tell the storm to go around them (could also open up an easier path to and from Shadesmar than Elsecaller if needed). So, I choose Bondsmith if they're the Stormfather's Bondsmith. Otherwise, I choose Windrunner due to their flight, pressure manipulation, and natural inclination to protect.

I will @alder24 as well for this.

in the case of gravitation I feel like the magic is breaking a few other laws. I totally am on board with the idea that stormlight fixes the radiant and prevents them from suffering from altitude sicknesses and dying a horrible death to HAPE. I have also accepted that teleporting via magic and ending up at a much higher elevation protects the user (or groups that the user sends to a new place via the oathgates).  

But what about flying crews of non magic users above a storm?  In my mind I have to assume that having a lashing placed on you provides protection from the changes in barometric pressure. What would happen if the stormlight holding that lashing went out?  

I would really have to refer back to other books and I just listen so that makes skimming hard.  

But did any of the crews when testing flying other people around ever have to quickly save someone who's lashing ran out?  

Did the guy that Szeth flung into the air scream as he fell to his death or was he already dead from the asphyxiation that one could expect from having horrible flash pulmonary edema?  

Trying to figure out how risky the windrunner option is vs the other, more grounded options. 

4 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

But what about flying crews of non magic users above a storm?  In my mind I have to assume that having a lashing placed on you provides protection from the changes in barometric pressure. What would happen if the stormlight holding that lashing went out?  

Windrunners would just refill the Lashing. 

6 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Did the guy that Szeth flung into the air scream as he fell to his death or was he already dead from the asphyxiation that one could expect from having horrible flash pulmonary edema?  

He died after hitting the ground.

7 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Trying to figure out how risky the windrunner option is vs the other, more grounded options. 

Well, not so much it seems. Adolin traveled with Kaladin to Kholinar with Highstorm in OB, Navani flew with them in RoW without Highstorm, others were also traveling like that in a few moments - it seems like traveling over the Highstorm doesn't cause immediate danger to non-Radiants. Weird.

14 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Windrunners would just refill the Lashing. 

He died after hitting the ground.

Well, not so much it seems. Adolin traveled with Kaladin to Kholinar with Highstorm in OB, Navani flew with them in RoW without Highstorm, others were also traveling like that in a few moments - it seems like traveling over the Highstorm doesn't cause immediate danger to non-Radiants. Weird.

It is most likely just some oversight while writing. I feel like I have read some WoB talking about why they didn't all die in Uritheru after the use of the oathgate and it having some sort of dome of protection or something... I imagine that can easily just be retconed to say that Roshar is so highly invested that atmospheric pressure doesn't matter.  

I guess in the case of the falling after the stormlight runs out you could argue that he wasn't thrown nearly high enough to have the issue or he decended at such a rate that it didn't matter much. 

My question is do we have other examples of a person using investiture on another person for reason X and that investiture, with no ties to the target, protecting them from the outside physics of it?  

We see investiture protect its user all of the time in the cosmere.  But when it is being used on another person will it go out of its way to protect that person from the other unintended issues?  

Super nitpicky. I know.  

31 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

But did any of the crews when testing flying other people around ever have to quickly save someone who's lashing ran out?  

They used masks:

Spoiler

OB Ch 60:

King Elhokar was at the front. They couldn’t bring their suits of Shardplate; Lashings didn’t work on those. Instead, the king wore thick clothing and a strange kind of glass-fronted mask . . . 

Skar and Drehy handled their own flight about twenty feet below the group, watching in case anyone dropped for some reason. Lashings renewed, Kaladin maneuvered himself into line between Shallan and King Elhokar. The king stared forward through the mask, as if oblivious to the wondrous storm beneath.

RoW Ch 9:

Spoiler

Dalinar, however, had no such protection. He flew in the line—kept aloft by a Windrunner—and wore a face mask with goggles to keep his proud nose from freezing right off.

Just as Navani uses the skimmer, in part for cabin pressure and wind protection. 

6 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I will @alder24 as well for this.

in the case of gravitation I feel like the magic is breaking a few other laws. I totally am on board with the idea that stormlight fixes the radiant and prevents them from suffering from altitude sicknesses and dying a horrible death to HAPE. I have also accepted that teleporting via magic and ending up at a much higher elevation protects the user (or groups that the user sends to a new place via the oathgates).  

I would really have to refer back to other books and I just listen so that makes skimming hard.  

Well, I do remember that Kaladin mentions being able to change windstreams or pressure to a degree when he guides his team to land outside of Kholinar city in OB. I don't have the book on me right now but I'd recommend going and reading that chapter to see.

Basically, Windrunners are capable of effecting atmospheric pressure as well as gravitation. They can make pockets of more survivable air pressure for people they fly around.

Does that answer your questions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 8:37 PM, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

It is most likely just some oversight while writing. I feel like I have read some WoB talking about why they didn't all die in Uritheru after the use of the oathgate and it having some sort of dome of protection or something... I imagine that can easily just be retconed to say that Roshar is so highly invested that atmospheric pressure doesn't matter.  

Navani found out that the pressure at Urithiru rises before a strom, which shows that Urithiru has the power to regulate its own pressure:

"More proof; the data was growing as mountainous as these peaks. The tower could regulate temperature, pressure, humidity. If Urithiru could be made fully functional, life up here would improve dramatically."

On 9/19/2023 at 10:45 AM, Ancient Elantrian said:

I'm surprised more people didn't say Elsecaller, Willshaper, or Lightweaver. Lightweavers and Elsecallers can both soulcast shelter, and an Elsecaller and a Willshaper could pull you into the cognitive realm.

As Jasnah found out the hard way, traveling to Shadesmar can be very dangerous and it can be very difficult to return to the Physical Realm. Bondsmith Perpendicularities should work better though.