Does Lumar have a perpendicularity? (SP1 spoilers)

Authorspren

Question

Obviously, Secret Project 1 spoilers ahead.

Tress takes place in the future of the Cosmere, and spaceships are a thing. However, that doesn't necessarily explain the presence of Hoid. How did he get there? It could have been on a spaceship, but we never see any evidence of him having one.

Lumar has no shards, but that's not the only way to have a perpendicularity. As we know, a large concentration of Investiture in one place can create a perpendicularity. The entire planet has oceans of Invested aether spores, and is surrounded by twelve Invested moons. I guess my question is, could a high enough aether concentration cause a perpendicularity, or at least some way to travel between realms?

And that brings to mind a second question: in the space age, when people begin to think about the vastness of space, will the space between worlds in the Cognitive Realm increase and make worldhopping via perpendicularities take longer?

7 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Authorspren said:

Tress takes place in the future of the Cosmere, and spaceships are a thing. However, that doesn't necessarily explain the presence of Hoid. How did he get there? It could have been on a spaceship, but we never see any evidence of him having one.

Probably either a spaceship or some kind of Magitech from Roshar that can allow a person to use the Surge of Transportation, Nale had one that could use Progression that he used to heal Szeth so I can imagine that there were other such devices for other Surges.

Lumar has no shards, but that's not the only way to have a perpendicularity. As we know, a large concentration of Investiture in one place can create a perpendicularity. The entire planet has oceans of Invested aether spores, and is surrounded by twelve Invested moons. I guess my question is, could a high enough aether concentration cause a perpendicularity, or at least some way to travel between realms?

I wouldn't have the slghtest clue, but to me it seems like Aether's don't just radiate Investiture like a Shard or really big Splinter would, they need a catalyst (water) to produce a finite amount of Kinetic Investiture. So I don't think that Aethers can suffuse a Planet enough for a Perpendicularity to form.

And that brings to mind a second question: in the space age, when people begin to think about the vastness of space, will the space between worlds in the Cognitive Realm increase and make worldhopping via perpendicularities take longer?

I know there is a WOB on it somewhere in the Arcanum but I don't think that Brandon has said much about it. He did say that there would likely be an effect like what you're saying.

5 hours ago, Authorspren said:

Obviously, Secret Project 1 spoilers ahead.

Did you read SP 3?

Hoid likely has either a spaceship or his own way of traveling between realms and worlds. Lightweavers can enter CR on their own, so Hoid needs just a way to exit. There are many ways to access CR. But this story takes place in the far future, there are several nations capable of FTL - I think the most reasonable assumption is that they establish interplanetary trade routes in PR and Hoid just used their ship to reach Lumar. This is supported by Lumarans calling worldhoppers as "visitors from the stars" - they certainly came to Lumar on a spaceship.

Spoiler

Nepene

I suppose one thing to wonder is how do you enter Shadesmar? We know of a number of people who are jumping from world to world through Shadesmar. Grump Thinker and Blunt, Hoid too. How are they accessing the cognitive plane to transport themselves across the lands?

Presumably Shallan's bond with the truthspren let her get in. How does this work? If she had only a dim sphere then does it not require any stormlight, any spiritual power? Is it a purely cognitive change? I could see some advantages to that. You could hop into this alternative dimension at will if you were being attacked, even with little power.

The scholars earlier talk of whether there is food in Shadesmar, so presumably others have visited it. Can non soulcasters visit it? Is there some fabrial that grants you access? Are they only referring to the distant past, when KR had the power to access it? Is it purely a thing of the mind that anyone can learn? Is it only possible if you have access to a splinter of a shard?

Brandon Sanderson

There are many ways to enter Shadesmar. You'll see more of this in the future. One thing to keep in mind about Shadesmar is that space where things are thinking is expanded, while space where there is nothing to think is contracted. In other words, in an empty void, you get almost no Shadesmar. This makes distances as we think of them very different there.

General Reddit 2013 (March 14, 2013)

Large concentration of investiture can indeed spawn a perpendicularity but you need a lot to achieve that. Aethers' spores are invested, but the investiture density in Aethers' spores seem to be quite low. I doubt Lumar has a perpendicularity. And a perpendicularity on Lumar's moons won't help to get on Lumar. 

Regarding the second question, yes, the interplanetary space in CR will grow because of human presence and perception of it. But that change won't be that big. New places might spawn (like space stations) but the scale of it won't be that troublesome.

Spoiler

Nico Bufasassa

If everyone in the Cosmere begins to understand that there is space travel, does that change the distance needed to travel around in Shadesmar considering it's made up of the beliefs of the people?

Brandon Sanderson

What's going to happen is it is going to make the travel distances longer. However, people cannot conceive the immensity of space. The amount different it's going to make it is not going to be so vast that it's insurmountable. It's not going to come one fractional piece of what the actual distance is.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 5 (Dec. 2, 2022)

Spoiler

Questioner

In the Cosmere, as space becomes more developed...*inaudible* outer space.

Brandon Sanderson

It's an interesting question that I've had to ponder. Would the space race happen more slowly because there's an alternative, or would it happen more quickly because you know other planets are inhabited. I'm not going to answer what I came up with, because it's a plot point in the books. So I'll give you a RAFO card, but that's the question to ask yourself.

Questioner

That wasn't my question! My question was, in the Cognitive Realm, with the gap between planets...

Brandon Sanderson

Oh! Will the gap between planets get larger as more people travel in between it. So, barring things like space stations, there's going to be so few minds in between, that I don't expect space to become larger because of that.

I don't expect it to be a factor, except--barring--there will be possibilities of certain regions popping up.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

5 hours ago, alder24 said:

Regarding the second question, yes, the interplanetary space in CR will grow because of human presence and perception of it. But that change won't be that big. New places might spawn (like space stations) but the scale of it won't be that troublesome.

Hide contents

Nico Bufasassa

If everyone in the Cosmere begins to understand that there is space travel, does that change the distance needed to travel around in Shadesmar considering it's made up of the beliefs of the people?

Brandon Sanderson

What's going to happen is it is going to make the travel distances longer. However, people cannot conceive the immensity of space. The amount different it's going to make it is not going to be so vast that it's insurmountable. It's not going to come one fractional piece of what the actual distance is.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 5 (Dec. 2, 2022)

Hide contents

Questioner

In the Cosmere, as space becomes more developed...*inaudible* outer space.

Brandon Sanderson

It's an interesting question that I've had to ponder. Would the space race happen more slowly because there's an alternative, or would it happen more quickly because you know other planets are inhabited. I'm not going to answer what I came up with, because it's a plot point in the books. So I'll give you a RAFO card, but that's the question to ask yourself.

Questioner

That wasn't my question! My question was, in the Cognitive Realm, with the gap between planets...

Brandon Sanderson

Oh! Will the gap between planets get larger as more people travel in between it. So, barring things like space stations, there's going to be so few minds in between, that I don't expect space to become larger because of that.

I don't expect it to be a factor, except--barring--there will be possibilities of certain regions popping up.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

I will take his newest one as more valid, which doesn't exactly support what you are saying. He implied that it would be a rather large factor, it simply wouldn't be like, lightyears. I feel that as time passes it would become large enough that it begins to become inefficient, just never impossible.

This does leave me wondering what exactly the space between systems would look like as it expands. Where you have neither solid nor fluid, nor objective direction in general. We have seen between planets within the same system, but that I feel would be effected by the perception of those in the system far more, and anyway, we have only seen a little outside, I feel it would get weirder and weirder as you get further from the subastral. 

1 hour ago, Firesong said:

I will take his newest one as more valid, which doesn't exactly support what you are saying. He implied that it would be a rather large factor, it simply wouldn't be like, lightyears. I feel that as time passes it would become large enough that it begins to become inefficient, just never impossible.

This does leave me wondering what exactly the space between systems would look like as it expands. Where you have neither solid nor fluid, nor objective direction in general. We have seen between planets within the same system, but that I feel would be effected by the perception of those in the system far more, and anyway, we have only seen a little outside, I feel it would get weirder and weirder as you get further from the subastral. 

I don't see those WoBs as mutually exclusive, rather the new one expanding on the old one. The space in CR is highly dependent on actual minds present in PR, not just perception. Perception matters, but the amount of thinking life present in that space matters even more, and there would still be no life present in the space. Some space stations will pop up, but while the distance in general will grow, because people will start thinking about the vastness of space, it won't become hugely inconvenient (from a few steps to a few weeks/months of travel or something like that - it will grow).

You saw the space in between planets in SH - it's obsidian ground.

Spoiler

Questioner

So like as far as distance traveled in Shadesmar. So when Kelsier is in Shadesmar, he meets the Ire, who are presumably Elantrians. How far did he travel? Is that still within Scadrial's realm of the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's within-- By the time he meets them he has slipped right to the edge of the Cognitive Realm on Scadrial and into, kind of, the darkness between planets. 

Questioner

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

He's close enough that he can get there. But he's kind of suffused with Scadrian Investiture then, to a point that it would be harder--you saw in there--for him to get further. I would say that he's like... He has entered space between planets, but he's not out of the solar system.

Questioner

Okay, so he's still in the Scadrian system, just not--just edging a bit there.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yep. That's what I'd say if I had to actually point him in that <a map>. It gets really fuzzy though, because it wouldn't be too much longer before he enters another solar system. Like, he would pass lightyears in steps as he starts getting further, if that makes any sense.

Questioner

That makes sense, because, I mean, with worldhopping in general it's like... You can only... I mean it's... I don't know how the time dilation works per se, but...

Brandon Sanderson

It's not-- there's not much time dilation. What you've got going on is... Things that people aren't around to think about, things without minds or any sort of life, don't manifest on Shadesmar very much at all. And so the space between planets gets really small, unless there's another planet out there with thinking beings or at least some sort of life on it. Like even lower lifeforms, you'll get something manifesting on Shadesmar. But yeah

Questioner

Okay. So the Cognitive Realm, in Shadesmar... It's kind of the... Any kind of sentient or cognitive life-- that's what is building Shadesmar? So like anything where there's blackness... is like... condensed or--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, yes. Particularly if no one's thinking about it. If people are thinking about it - like, for instance, an island in the ocean that was scoured of all life and even bacteria would still manifest in Shadesmar on that planet because people are aware of it and things like this. But one on the other side of the planet, that no one ever knew about it, probably wouldn't.

Questioner

So that same island, if people just stopped thinking about it or like stopped being aware of its presence, would it...

Brandon Sanderson

It could slowly vanish, yes. And so-- But that's more of a thought experiment. You're never gonna have a planet that that happens to, you know cause-- but thought experiment wise, yes, that would eventually kind of get consumed by Shadesmar and vanish. The same thing would happen to a planet that you strip the atmosphere from--all the bacteria and life dies on it--you know, slowly going to vanish. But a moon will still manifest because people are thinking about it. It'll just not-- it won't-- it'll be hokey, it'll be weird--the moon will be. Like you might find a little patch that represents the moon. Something like that.

Questioner

That's interesting.

Brandon Sanderson

You're not gonna find the full landscape of the moon until people start visiting it. And it's gonna grow on Shadesmar.

White Sand vol.1 release party (June 28, 2016)

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Shadesmar- you can WALK to the other planets. It’s a pretty far ways away (at least days, if not more), but you can go to Shadesmar, walk in the directions where it says "The Realm of the Vapors" and it runs into Scadrial (which is confirmed). In Shadesmar all of that empty space doesn't really have any human interaction, so it doesn't really have an aspect in the cognitive realm, so all of that place gets shortened immensely. Whenever a planet has enough thinking life on it that's it's considering it a planet, it drops into Shadesmar.

Eventually, he’ll come out with a Shadesmar map of the Cosmere, and a Starmap as well.

Orem signing 2014 (Dec. 6, 2014)

Spoiler

Nepene

I suppose one thing to wonder is how do you enter Shadesmar? We know of a number of people who are jumping from world to world through Shadesmar. Grump Thinker and Blunt, Hoid too. How are they accessing the cognitive plane to transport themselves across the lands?

Presumably Shallan's bond with the truthspren let her get in. How does this work? If she had only a dim sphere then does it not require any stormlight, any spiritual power? Is it a purely cognitive change? I could see some advantages to that. You could hop into this alternative dimension at will if you were being attacked, even with little power.

The scholars earlier talk of whether there is food in Shadesmar, so presumably others have visited it. Can non soulcasters visit it? Is there some fabrial that grants you access? Are they only referring to the distant past, when KR had the power to access it? Is it purely a thing of the mind that anyone can learn? Is it only possible if you have access to a splinter of a shard?

Brandon Sanderson

There are many ways to enter Shadesmar. You'll see more of this in the future. One thing to keep in mind about Shadesmar is that space where things are thinking is expanded, while space where there is nothing to think is contracted. In other words, in an empty void, you get almost no Shadesmar. This makes distances as we think of them very different there.

Spoiler

Questioner

If a planet has no sentient life, does it have a Cognitive representation? If not, would the Cognitive area generate in Shadesmar whenever sentience appeared there?

Brandon Sanderson

People have started to talk about this, because it is a legit thing. So, if there is no sapient life, or even sentient life, if it's a dead rock out in space and nobody knows it's there, its manifestation in Shadesmar will be basically nothing. I say basically because the Shards are aware of it, so there's probably going to be some bit of something that manifests, but until the attention of sapient beings starts focusing on it, it's not going to manifest very much in Shadesmar. It might be like a patch of ground that is a couple feet wide. It is going to start growing as soon as they do, which distorts space in Shadesmar, and makes routes between planets change and more distance come between them. Which is very very odd, and very very interesting, and it's one of my favorite parts about the whole thing. It should kind of break your brain, and it shouldn't really make sense with our physics.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 4 (June 16, 2022)

4 hours ago, alder24 said:

I don't see those WoBs as mutually exclusive, rather the new one expanding on the old one. The space in CR is highly dependent on actual minds present in PR, not just perception. Perception matters, but the amount of thinking life present in that space matters even more, and there would still be no life present in the space. Some space stations will pop up, but while the distance in general will grow, because people will start thinking about the vastness of space, it won't become hugely inconvenient (from a few steps to a few weeks/months of travel or something like that - it will grow).

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

So like as far as distance traveled in Shadesmar. So when Kelsier is in Shadesmar, he meets the Ire, who are presumably Elantrians. How far did he travel? Is that still within Scadrial's realm of the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that's within-- By the time he meets them he has slipped right to the edge of the Cognitive Realm on Scadrial and into, kind of, the darkness between planets. 

Questioner

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

He's close enough that he can get there. But he's kind of suffused with Scadrian Investiture then, to a point that it would be harder--you saw in there--for him to get further. I would say that he's like... He has entered space between planets, but he's not out of the solar system.

Questioner

Okay, so he's still in the Scadrian system, just not--just edging a bit there.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yep. That's what I'd say if I had to actually point him in that <a map>. It gets really fuzzy though, because it wouldn't be too much longer before he enters another solar system. Like, he would pass lightyears in steps as he starts getting further, if that makes any sense.

Questioner

That makes sense, because, I mean, with worldhopping in general it's like... You can only... I mean it's... I don't know how the time dilation works per se, but...

Brandon Sanderson

It's not-- there's not much time dilation. What you've got going on is... Things that people aren't around to think about, things without minds or any sort of life, don't manifest on Shadesmar very much at all. And so the space between planets gets really small, unless there's another planet out there with thinking beings or at least some sort of life on it. Like even lower lifeforms, you'll get something manifesting on Shadesmar. But yeah

Questioner

Okay. So the Cognitive Realm, in Shadesmar... It's kind of the... Any kind of sentient or cognitive life-- that's what is building Shadesmar? So like anything where there's blackness... is like... condensed or--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, yes. Particularly if no one's thinking about it. If people are thinking about it - like, for instance, an island in the ocean that was scoured of all life and even bacteria would still manifest in Shadesmar on that planet because people are aware of it and things like this. But one on the other side of the planet, that no one ever knew about it, probably wouldn't.

Questioner

So that same island, if people just stopped thinking about it or like stopped being aware of its presence, would it...

Brandon Sanderson

It could slowly vanish, yes. And so-- But that's more of a thought experiment. You're never gonna have a planet that that happens to, you know cause-- but thought experiment wise, yes, that would eventually kind of get consumed by Shadesmar and vanish. The same thing would happen to a planet that you strip the atmosphere from--all the bacteria and life dies on it--you know, slowly going to vanish. But a moon will still manifest because people are thinking about it. It'll just not-- it won't-- it'll be hokey, it'll be weird--the moon will be. Like you might find a little patch that represents the moon. Something like that.

Questioner

That's interesting.

Brandon Sanderson

You're not gonna find the full landscape of the moon until people start visiting it. And it's gonna grow on Shadesmar.

White Sand vol.1 release party (June 28, 2016)

Reveal hidden contents

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Shadesmar- you can WALK to the other planets. It’s a pretty far ways away (at least days, if not more), but you can go to Shadesmar, walk in the directions where it says "The Realm of the Vapors" and it runs into Scadrial (which is confirmed). In Shadesmar all of that empty space doesn't really have any human interaction, so it doesn't really have an aspect in the cognitive realm, so all of that place gets shortened immensely. Whenever a planet has enough thinking life on it that's it's considering it a planet, it drops into Shadesmar.

Eventually, he’ll come out with a Shadesmar map of the Cosmere, and a Starmap as well.

Orem signing 2014 (Dec. 6, 2014)

Reveal hidden contents

Nepene

Brandon Sanderson

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

If a planet has no sentient life, does it have a Cognitive representation? If not, would the Cognitive area generate in Shadesmar whenever sentience appeared there?

Brandon Sanderson

People have started to talk about this, because it is a legit thing. So, if there is no sapient life, or even sentient life, if it's a dead rock out in space and nobody knows it's there, its manifestation in Shadesmar will be basically nothing. I say basically because the Shards are aware of it, so there's probably going to be some bit of something that manifests, but until the attention of sapient beings starts focusing on it, it's not going to manifest very much in Shadesmar. It might be like a patch of ground that is a couple feet wide. It is going to start growing as soon as they do, which distorts space in Shadesmar, and makes routes between planets change and more distance come between them. Which is very very odd, and very very interesting, and it's one of my favorite parts about the whole thing. It should kind of break your brain, and it shouldn't really make sense with our physics.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 4 (June 16, 2022)

You keep completely ignoring what I say when I mention that part. You keep doing this. 

Brandon Sanderson

This one quote instantly invalidates your rebuttal, as it instantly shows that what you are saying is completely wrong. We have not seen the area between systems. Just the area only a slight bit past the edge of one planet (and I brought up that I feel the area only slightly beyond one planet would be very different from an area much further from it). Which fits exactly with what I said. Please read my comments properly before attempting to make rebuttals like this. 

Sorry for getting annoyed and/or aggressive, but you always tend to ignore what I say when I bring up this, and try to really stretch that one WoB to say that literally every single part of Shadesmar without exception looks exactly like that one area. And the repetition is getting annoying. Sorry again. 

I get that that is your headcanon, and I would be fine with it if it was communicated as a headcanon, but it is not supported by the things that you keep bringing up. So it ultimately is just a headcanon borne of extrapolation and unsupported by evidence, not a factual observation of cosmere mechanics. We have not seen the area very far from a subastral, or between systems, therefore we cannot make such assumptions. He was literally so close to Scadrial at that point that his Connection basically still considered him as being on Scadrial. Thus, logically, he was not extremely far from it, but only a tiny bit outside. So little outside that he could not only actually reach there, but to the extent that he didn't even reach what little there is of Aagal Nod, despite how compressed the distance is. Which further proves how absurdly close he was to the Scadrian subastral. 

Thus, I interpret the way it manifests to still be heavily influenced by the subastral, instead of being the pure and unaffected-by-cultural-perception manifestation of empty space. But just a place where the Scadrian perception is still molding it. The way that we saw it work, with Scadrian aspects melting away over time, I feel implies that what we see is still effected, just to a lesser extent than before, but still to an extent. It is part of the same System, after all. 

Therefore, my idea that we have not seen an area far from a subastral is still held true. You seem to think that when Brandon said "space between planets" that he was instantly like, 50 AU away or something. When the text itself implies that we was only a little outside. Furthermore, we know that there is a CR manifestation of space, it is just absurdly contracted, but he implies that there is some manifestation there. This is also supported by everything we have seen, I feel. 

Edited by Firesong

14 hours ago, Firesong said:

You keep completely ignoring what I say when I mention that part. You keep doing this. 

I said: 

18 hours ago, alder24 said:

Planets, not systems... The space between planets is no different than the space between stars. That's why I believe that they look the same, as obsidian ground of CR is the same in both Scadrial and Roshar. Potentially, the other possibility is what was in MeLaan's epilogue in TLM - infinite, transparent, black liquid. That fit to space.

However the bead sees in Rosharan subastral and Mists sees in Scadrial's subastral are representations of minds of objects in PR. In the vacuum of space there are no objects, no minds, nothing - there is nothing which could create any sea. For me that’s another indication that the space in between stars would be a solid ground. Also Brandon says that you can walk to other systems, not swim, not sail, but walk - that is another argument for the solid ground making up the interstellar space in CR. 

14 hours ago, Firesong said:

You seem to think that when Brandon said "space between planets" that he was instantly like, 50 AU away or something. When the text itself implies that we was only a little outside.

No, just outside Scadrial (the same way ISS is it "the space between planets", maybe even just outside of the Scadrian Hill sphere. But that doesn't matter. Being bound to the planet is almost no different than being bound to the system. He could get to other planets in the Scadrian system, but not outside of it, just like Heralds can. But getting to gas giants would probably be very hard for him. 

I do apologize for not reading your second part of the post carefully and responding to it thoughtfully - I’ve caused unnecessary confusion and tension. 

1 minute ago, alder24 said:

I said: 

Planets, not systems... The space between planets is no different than the space between stars. That's why I believe that they look the same, as obsidian ground of CR is the same in both Scadrial and Roshar. Potentially, the other possibility is what was in MeLaan's epilogue in TLM - infinite, transparent, black liquid. That fit to space.

However the bead sees in Rosharan subastral and Mists sees in Scadrial's subastral are representations of minds of objects in PR. In the vacuum of space there are no objects, no minds, nothing - there is nothing which could create any sea. For me that’s another indication that the space in between stars would be a solid ground. Also Brandon says that you can walk to other systems, not swim, not sail, but walk - that is another argument for the solid ground making up the interstellar space in CR. 

No, just outside Scadrial (the same way ISS is it "the space between planets", maybe even just outside of the Scadrian Hill sphere. But that doesn't matter. Being bound to the planet is almost no different than being bound to the system. He could get to other planets in the Scadrian system, but not outside of it, just like Heralds can. But getting to gas giants would probably be very hard for him. 

I do apologize for not reading your second part of the post carefully and responding to it thoughtfully - I’ve caused unnecessary confusion and tension. 

Don't worry, I apologize as well. I was too aggressive, I was having a bad day and was thus not in the best of moods. 

And on Kelsier leaving the system, I feel it is a bit different for him. As the only other planets in the Scadrian system are very far away from Scadrial and completely uninhabited. I also feel the Heralds being able to go to Braize and Roshar was by design, like, they are given a very strong Connection to both planets, and not something that any CS strongly Connected to a planet would inherently be able to do.