War chasmfeinds

Xiahida

So, what if Chasmfiend were domesticated and used for war? If different arts were mixed we can build a mount that can fulfill different uses. A Radiant who is also a Coinshot could launch themselves off a plate of metal on the chasmfiend to launch directly into enemy lines and shatter them. Those same plates can be used for maneuverability like when Kelsier was fighting that Inquisitor. Even just a Shardblade while riding one can be destructive. Aluminum plates can cover the legs so a Shardbearer can't immobilize it. Any other possibilities or uses?

1 hour ago, Xiahida said:

So, what if Chasmfiend were domesticated and used for war? If different arts were mixed we can build a mount that can fulfill different uses. A Radiant who is also a Coinshot could launch themselves off a plate of metal on the chasmfiend to launch directly into enemy lines and shatter them. Those same plates can be used for maneuverability like when Kelsier was fighting that Inquisitor. Even just a Shardblade while riding one can be destructive. Aluminum plates can cover the legs so a Shardbearer can't immobilize it. Any other possibilities or uses?

I have had similar ideas but with a pack of lifeless whitespines. A mobile group of killing machines all capable of being a launching pad for your next push or pull. 

I don't think lifeless chasmfiend would work as well as something smaller like whitespine. It has to do with the gemheart and if it is broken i don't know that a chasmfiend could move at all really. 

How would you tame one?  Maybe throw a hemalurgic spike or two or three into it and dominate it with emotional allomancy.  

Would it have the capacity to be manipulated via F duralumin?  

I am sure a bondsmith could belch in its direction and tame it via connection. 

Other ways to use it? You could awaken a ton of ropes and attach saddle bags full of large stones or explosives and use the ropes to launch them. Mobile artillery. 

The way I see is that young ones are taken from their parents and raised by humans. After breeding them for a while you have a good army. Spiking them can help for in depth control. The ropes would be an awesome use in war.

I think the chasmfiend bonds mandra and that is what the gemheart is for I think.

Breeding them is a better long term option in my opinion.

How does F duralumin manipulate them though?

There is a problem, they are sapient, they are very intelligent. I think trying to domesticate them might be morally questionable.

But they would indeed be very powerful assets in war, just one ramming into enemy ranks would destroy the whole formation, which your troops can easily follow and exploit. Shardblades are mostly useless against them, and if you fortify their legs with some invested or aluminum armor they're fully immune to them. Mount spikes and blades on legs for extra damage. They would be like Mumakils from LoTR but bigger and deadlier.

4 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

The way I see is that young ones are taken from their parents and raised by humans.

We don't know young Chasmfiends, they are making chrysalis and then emerge as Chasmfiends from it. We've never seen their young ones.

Please avoid double posting, you can edit your previous post to add new things:

Spoiler

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit and Options tools. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title.
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.
  • Next to Edit you will also find an "options" dropbox, you can use this to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting
  • At the top of a post you will find "Report Post"
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.

5 hours ago, alder24 said:

There is a problem, they are sapient, they are very intelligent.

Are they? Intelligence I get, sapience, I don't think so. It's called into question with the ending of RoW, but I still don't think they're sapient.

10 hours ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

Are they? Intelligence I get, sapience, I don't think so. It's called into question with the ending of RoW, but I still don't think they're sapient.

Yes, it's because of RoW that I think they are sapient. A Chasmfiend seemed to protect Timbre and decided that Eshonai is worthy to bond with her. The ending of RoW is another thing - a Chasmfiend saved Listeners when two storms hit and protected them ever since. I think those are big signs of sapience. Ryshadium also is sapient, Khriss in Arcanum Unbounded calls them like that.
Or at least both of them are above animal level intelligence, closing in on human level intelligence, nearly sapient, which in my opinion would make it morally questionable to treat them like that.

Spoiler

Questioner

Would a macaw be able to become a Radiant? Or do you need sentience?

Brandon Sanderson

You need sapience. A macaw could not become a Knight Radiant. A macaw could, theoretically, enter a symbiotic spren bond, which would have different effects. Like, Ryshadium or even most of the larger greatshells don't have sapience. But a lot of creatures on Roshar do have what I would term an in-between step between human-level intelligence and animal-level intelligence on Earth. Ryshadium are in this; chasmfiends, as well, are smarter than an animal can get on Earth.

Tor Instagram Livestream (Nov. 25, 2020)

2 hours ago, alder24 said:

Yes, it's because of RoW that I think they are sapient. A Chasmfiend seemed to protect Timbre and decided that Eshonai is worthy to bond with her. The ending of RoW is another thing - a Chasmfiend saved Listeners when two storms hit and protected them ever since. I think those are big signs of sapience. Ryshadium also is sapient, Khriss in Arcanum Unbounded calls them like that.
Or at least both of them are above animal level intelligence, closing in on human level intelligence, nearly sapient, which in my opinion would make it morally questionable to treat them like that.

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Would a macaw be able to become a Radiant? Or do you need sentience?

Brandon Sanderson

You need sapience. A macaw could not become a Knight Radiant. A macaw could, theoretically, enter a symbiotic spren bond, which would have different effects. Like, Ryshadium or even most of the larger greatshells don't have sapience. But a lot of creatures on Roshar do have what I would term an in-between step between human-level intelligence and animal-level intelligence on Earth. Ryshadium are in this; chasmfiends, as well, are smarter than an animal can get on Earth.

Tor Instagram Livestream (Nov. 25, 2020)

We don't know if they were influenced at all when they saved the Listeners, and Timbre's inhabiting and then leaving the Gemheart of a Chasmfiend may not have required any conscious thought from the Chasmfiend.

I can see why you think that, but we don't have anything quite concrete yet. Even so, I doubt they're sapient. Near-sapient like the Ryshadium maybe, but not sapient.

If they were sapient it would essentially be humans using Ryshandium for war. They also say they have bred greatshells to have bigger gemhearts so the morality of these actions could be debated.

Edited by Xiahida

10 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

If they were sapient it would essentially be humans using Ryshandium for war. They also say they have bred greatshells to have bigger gemhearts so the morality of these actions could be debated.

But humans don't keep and breed Ryshadium for war. Occasionally, individual Ryshadium can choose a rider and go with them to war, but Ryshadium are by no means controlled unless they choose to, which seems to be an individual choice. The fact that they choose to go to war makes it humane, so long as they're treated right, which if they weren't, they wouldn't stand for.

Regular Greatshells aren't sapient, so it's no more inhumane to breed and farm them as it is to breed and farm cows or other farm animals irl. There's something to be said about the conditions that breeding and farming takes place in, but it's not impossible to do it in a humane fashion.

Edited by Underwater_Worldhopper

I don't think they've said they are breeding greatshells to have bigger gemhearts, Shallan was talking about alternatives to chrysalis hunts. Chulls are bred but those aren't greatshells. From Coppermind:

Greatshells breed slowly, and for most species, their populations are generally small. They all reproduce the same way: an adult greatshell transforms (pupates) into a chrysalis, which eventually produces a number of young.[9] They do not seem to have a singular biome they thrive in; they can be found as far east as the Shattered Plains, as far west as Aimia, and as far north as the Reshi Isles.[4][2] Their sheer size makes domesticating most species unfeasible, although there are stories of greatshell riders in places like Kadrix.[2]

It would probably require a boon from the Nightwatcher to accomplish, but I think Chasmfiends are probably not the way to go.

Whitespines are more aggressive and breed faster.

If you are willing to put in the time and effort you might as well go with the Lanceryn as they have several advantages over Chasmfiends, namely flight and the ability to consume Investiture.

Edited by Frustration