Philosopher's Academy

Boot me if I'm off base on this but I think I have something to join in on the fun with. Mind you I'm not very versed in the logical arguments and structures of classic philosophy so I'll do my best to represent myself usefully. 

First: how do we define a sandwich? What are the necessary components / structure to satisfy the minimum definition of sandwich? Is a Sandwich even the broadest useful definition we should be using? 

The question ultimately boils down to where do we draw the line? Obviously a turkey & Swiss on rye is A-ok. But does a taco being of basically the same elements not satisfy the requisite components? Or what about a Calzone? For that matter, why is pizza not a sandwich? 

Finally, if every taco is a sandwich, does that mean that every sandwich is a taco? 

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Aeoliae said:

How is cake a cube? What about soup?

Exceptions aside cakes are often layered. Think 3 layers and it satisfies the example.

Soup is amorphous so this graphic is rendered useless against it. Unless you put it as a salad. 

1 minute ago, Eluvianii said:

Exceptions aside cakes are often layered. Think 3 layers and it satisfies the example.

Soup is amorphous so this graphic is rendered useless against it. Unless you put it as a salad. 

What about... Cooking vegetables?

What about... Cooking vegetables?

I guess the picture was designed mainly around food with bread containers (sushi is the exception since it isn't bread but still a container). So anything without one would fall into salad.

So like I said, the flaws make it better. Everything is a salad. 

Just now, Eluvianii said:

I guess the picture was designed mainly around food with bread containers (sushi is the exception since it isn't bread but still a container). So anything without one would fall into salad.

So like I said, the flaws make it better. Everything is a salad. 

Even mars?

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

... *  s  i   g   h   *

aight imma railroad you guys.

LADIES, GENTS, AND GENDERBENTS - I am going to present you with perhaps the most famous Philosophical equation ever:

I will start you off now with this:

Can you prove that you are real?

In programming (something I've been enjoying) there is something called a turing test. The idea is that if a computer can pass it, it is sentient. 

Also reCAPTCHA exists for this reason to prove you aren't a robot and are real.

4 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

very well. Can you provide us with some different versions of Real?

Of course.

It can mean tangible; you are a physical being, not a ghost or spirit.

It can mean that you are in control of yourself, your actions, your thoughts.

Real can simply mean that you exist, that you are what you believe you are; a human who lives on earth.

It could mean that you are unique, not simply an imitation or a repeat of something that has already existed.

There are more definitions, but off the top of my head and in this context, there are a few.

Edited by Edema Ruh

2 minutes ago, Aeoliae said:

Depressing stuff:

Hide contents

The idea that nothing you do matters, nothing matters since it is all meaningless in the end.

Well now we need your definition of meaningless, because you could be absolutely right or completely wrong, depending on the definition.

2 minutes ago, Aeoliae said:

Depressing stuff:

Reveal hidden contents

The idea that nothing you do matters, nothing matters since it is all meaningless in the end.

5 minutes ago, Edema Ruh said:

I can believe them all. What I want to know is which one you need for the context. Is it one of these? Multiple? None?

Indeed, that is the question. As Philosophers-In-Training, this is your task.

Just now, Edema Ruh said:

Well now we need your definition of meaningless, because you could be absolutely right or completely wrong, depending on the definition.

The idea of me explaining my definition of meaningless is meaningless, if that helps

No purpose or not worth is my definition 

The idea of me explaining my definition of meaningless is meaningless, if that helps

No purpose or not worth is my definition 

I think that we’ve reached the peak of philosophy here :P

Highest point of something. Initially applying only to things like mountains but at some point humans decided "high" means "more" and therefore "peak" started meaning "most". It's interesting though. Humans could just as easily have started looking at holes instead of mountains and suddenly "rock bottom" would mean "most". 

Questioning concepts like those is one of the few ways I can think to "prove" that I'm real. I guess I don't know what the word means either.