Clean Fantasy

Atilium

Atilium, I do feel you in this regard because I used to be particular about clean fantasy. These days, I just flip and keep flipping :P (I kind of feel the need to clarify that it's really just because those things sort of bore me...)

You asked about Peter V. Brett, about Downum's Necromancer Chronicles, Dalgish's Shadowdance, and Blood Song. These at least are the ones I've read, but I'm going to leave a disclaimer here: it's been a while since I read some of them, so I can't entirely be certain. Also, I flip, as I've said, so I might be mistaken. I'm going to read your mention of "full-on" scenes as being steamy, or on the borderline of PWP, for the purposes of this analysis.

1. Peter V. Brett

My impression is, in the first book, there's a bit going on between two characters, at one point, near the ending but I think it can be bypassed without too much trouble. With regard to the second and third book, I can't recall.

2. Necromancer Chronicles

Yes, there are a few encounters going on in here. I actually admire Downum's writing, but I have to admit her characters really do get around. It's nothing especially prolonged or explicit, and can be flipped past, but it's most definitely not 'clean' fantasy. In fact, I think I'd say it's been on a few lists for queer fantasy (as a side-note; not related to it being clean or not being clean.)

3. Shadowdance

Another one that's been a while for me. I don't remember any scenes, in particular, but there might've been, and I'd further say that it's still pretty dark, given it's set in a city's underworld, so as to speak.

4. Blood Song

Pretty clean. Rather interesting too, I'd say.

I'll second Rirya revelations, terry prachett, and Codex alera as a 14 year old with the same problem. Abraham's dagger and coin series... Fringe. Mercedes lackey is alright, especially the Joust series. Ooh, also, Good Omens by Gaiman and prachett is hilarious and mostly clean, and Orson Scott Card's Alvin the Maker and the one about gods are both good

Honestly, no. It's an important character thing for Kvothe - you could skip it, I guess. Or at least skim the description. But that's about a hundred thousand words away, so worry about it when you get to it.

I mean, for what it's worth, the prose is excellent as always. And it's worth it for the dialogue, which is all in iambic pentametre on one side.

Basically, it's your call. The novel doesn't devolve into graphic lewdity after that.

I understand your position and I can respect that. Some people just don't care about sex or reading about it. So don't think my next comment is anything against you, it just reminded me of the comment George R.R. Martin made.

See one of this I had to put censure on it just to keep it proper ... other ,which is so much worse, I didn't have to. We have to ask our selves where did we go wrong as society that books filled with blood and gore, betrayal and murder, wars and struggle are considered "clean" but if you add sex to than it turns in to something "unclean" and "dirty".

Don't mind my ramble. I am just killjoy at the moment and had to argue semantics and figure of speech :lol:

But I have to agree on sex scenes which serve no purpose. Having lengthy descriptions of sex just for sex sake is cheap way to keep readers attention.

Sorry I couldn't help you on the topic question. I don't really pay attention if there is sex in the book or not ... I just read. Only sex scene I really wanted to read about is in Dresden Files and Jim Butcher cheated in last book. Poor Harry goes years with no lady friends. ;)

Haha, I must say you (and GRRM) have a point. 

Seconding (or thirding or whatevering) both David Eddings (specifically the Belgariad and Mallorean books) and Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders book (Pern).

Garth Nix's Old Trilogy Kingdom was rather clean, if I recall correctly... and quite good, as well.

Been trying to get hold of the first book for years! I must say I LOVE Garth Nix, A Confusion of Princes was awesome :D

Yeah, the old kingdom trilogy is really good. You can also get audio books of Tim Curry reading them, which is utterly wonderful.

Very yes! Dragonriders of pern.

And as was mentioned wheel of time is relatively clean, a few vague references and beginning of a scene followed by a cut to afterwards, without showing "on stage" the scene itself.

The Seven Towers was remarkably good, despite the page count per book and being YA. I wish I could recommend everything Neil Gaiman. Unfortunately, I can't because he doesn't really bother with keeping it clean. On the other hand, my entire family listened to Anansi Boys in the car when I was 8 or 9. So there's that.

Actually, I remember Gaimans Neverwhere being quite clean.

I also remember not really liking it though, so... take that with what it's worth.

Atilium, I do feel you in this regard because I used to be particular about clean fantasy. These days, I just flip and keep flipping :P (I kind of feel the need to clarify that it's really just because those things sort of bore me...)

You asked about Peter V. Brett, about Downum's Necromancer Chronicles, Dalgish's Shadowdance, and Blood Song. These at least are the ones I've read, but I'm going to leave a disclaimer here: it's been a while since I read some of them, so I can't entirely be certain. Also, I flip, as I've said, so I might be mistaken. I'm going to read your mention of "full-on" scenes as being steamy, or on the borderline of PWP, for the purposes of this analysis.

1. Peter V. Brett

My impression is, in the first book, there's a bit going on between two characters, at one point, near the ending but I think it can be bypassed without too much trouble. With regard to the second and third book, I can't recall.

2. Necromancer Chronicles

Yes, there are a few encounters going on in here. I actually admire Downum's writing, but I have to admit her characters really do get around. It's nothing especially prolonged or explicit, and can be flipped past, but it's most definitely not 'clean' fantasy. In fact, I think I'd say it's been on a few lists for queer fantasy (as a side-note; not related to it being clean or not being clean.)

3. Shadowdance

Another one that's been a while for me. I don't remember any scenes, in particular, but there might've been, and I'd further say that it's still pretty dark, given it's set in a city's underworld, so as to speak.

4. Blood Song

Pretty clean. Rather interesting too, I'd say.

I'll second Rirya revelations, terry prachett, and Codex alera as a 14 year old with the same problem. Abraham's dagger and coin series... Fringe. Mercedes lackey is alright, especially the Joust series. Ooh, also, Good Omens by Gaiman and prachett is hilarious and mostly clean, and Orson Scott Card's Alvin the Maker and the one about gods are both good

To clarify, I don't mind the occasional short scene. So long as there isn't a scene in every chapter (and there's no rape or incest or something). For frame of reference, nothing really beyond The Black Prism or The Dragon's Path.

Thank you very much for the recommendations everyone! Though I have read a few of the things mentioned (Rirya, for example) a lot are new to me. I'll be certain to check them all out (:

Off topic, does anyone know how to pronounce Riyra. I've read all eight books and I can just never decide weather its rie-ear-ee-ya or Rie-rah. 

I have to admit that The Black Prism and The Dragon's Path are both on my to-read list, so those flew past me a little >>

If you're considering Shadowdance, then you should probably know Dalglish has a whole wider fantasy series anyway, so if Shadowdance turns out being to your taste, that might be something for you. Just to throw out even more possibilities: if your idea of 'fantasy' includes the Napoleonic wars, then you can consider the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.

Listing the rest:

-David Gemmell's Troy series (Gemmell can write a bit dark, so there's that. He's definitely not grimdark though.)

-Fire of Heaven trilogy by Russell Kirkpatrick (It begins a bit like your typical high fantasy, so be warned. But there are no elves or dwarves.)

-Tamora Pierce (I hesitate to suggest this, since these are pitched at a YA audience, but she definitely writes clean fantasy.)

-Shadow Prowler by Alexey Pehov (Interesting setting, I'd say, and pretty clean. Can't remember what the series is called though.)

-Dennis L. McKiernan (Generally clean, but YMMV with regard to how good you find his writing. Can get repetitive after a while, same problem as Lackey.)

-Deborah Chester (In particular, 'The Sword', 'The Ring', and 'The Chalice', as I think there's one point later on in following books where it gets a bit fishy in terms of implied dubious consent, so I'd say stop there if you want me to be conservative about an estimated recommendation.)

I think you're swimming in recs enough to last you for half a year at the moment, so I'll leave it at that :)

And I've always thought it was Riyria, but no idea how to pronounce it either.

Eh, theres some minor character development for Kvothe, but really nothing important. I'd skip it if I reread the book. The you'll notice when the section starts and I believe it ends at the end of a chapter so just skim read whatever you want.

There's some stuff later on, but its not as graphic and can be skimmed very easily.

Can't agree with that. First off it has important character development. There's a big confidence leap between Kvothe before Felurian and after. Especially when interacting with women. Whole redheaded waitress part proves that. Then there's a lot of information about world and some of the legends get touched. And as far as I'm concerned there hasn't been anything in these books that was unimportant. It might look that way right now to some of that but I doubt it won't play some kind of role in part 3.

I read both books when I was 16 and didn't even think about it.

Edit: Just remembered that it was recommended by 15 year old girl............

Edited by Cracknut

SmurfAquamarineBodies, on 25 Jul 2014 - 7:38 PM, said:

I'm sad to say but at 23 Tamora pierce remains one of my favourite authors to date. I would recommend her books to anyone.

Fair enough; I greatly enjoy her books, but I've also heard some criticism about how she's handled some issues, so with regard to recommending her books, I guess I'm somewhat divided :P

1. Peter V. Brett

Toward the end there is an offscreen rape followed by onscreen sex. And at the beginning there's some sex-almost-happens. I wouldn't call it clean. I didn't read the sequels.

If you don't want sex scenes, you should not even go near Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle series. There is a disgusting amount of rape happening on screen. So much so I literally considered smashing my e-book reader to the wall while reading it. There is a fair amount of consensual sex as well. Which, for the most part, doesn't affect the plot at all. I thought it got pretty boring after a while. That is one of the reasons I haven't enjoyed the series as much as I probably would otherwise. The other being that bumpkin accent everybody speaks with.

Oh, and Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow is fine. I mean the main character is a warrior-monk with a chastity oath after all.

Edited by cem

I would second reading the Fire of Heaven trilogy. It isn't the best but i thoroughly enjoyed it when I did read it. Written by a lecturer at my university whose main love is map making so a quite large portion of the books is travelling around but it stays engaging. And is definitely clean.

If you like history, try Naomi Novik's Temeraire/His Majesty's Dragon. Pretty much clean as far as I remember, it's Napoleon with dragons, from the perspective of a British naval officer who finds a dragon egg and joins the air force.

I'm sad to say but at 23 Tamora pierce remains one of my favourite authors to date. I would recommend her books to anyone.

I used to *love* Tamora Pierce. When I went back to read the Alanna and Daine books later I noticed the writing quality wasn't as good as later books though, which can be expected since they were written many years earlier, I think. My favourite were the Trickster books, and the Circle of Magic 2nd series. I'd definitely recommend these. :)

A YA fantasy I recently fell in love with is 'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' by Laini Taylor. I haven't been able to get hold of anything beyond the first book, but it was very clean (nothing beyond kissing as far as I recall), and it's definitely not simplistic. Very original story, I could never quite guess where it was going, with a very nuanced and complex war in which neither side is entirely right or entirely wrong. I can't recommend it enough.

I'll also recommend, more on the sci-fi side, Dan Well's 'Partials'. It's YA, but treats the reader like an intelligent person and actually includes real science (!) that was engaging but not too hard for me as a non-scientifically-inclined person to understand. Also his 'I Am Not A Serial Killer' is rather dark (the first scene takes place inside a morgue), but is fantastic nonetheless.

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. Can't believe I haven't recommended them yet. The first books starts out pretty slow but if you can get through about the first 2/3s to 3/4s then the entire series suddenly gets really good.