Female Authors in Fantasy

Atilium

Honestly, unless it's an author I'm already familiar with, I tend not to notice the author's name at all. I'll pick up a book based on either a recommendation, or the title, cover, blurb and sometimes the first page. If I do happen to notice who the author is, it's usually so I can look for other books written by him/her, at which point I'm hooked anyway. :P So.....consciously at least, that the author's gender makes no difference to me.

Sorry if that's more over-complicated of an answer that what you were looking for. :)

Consciously, no. I'm not sure if I do have an implicit bias against reading female authors, though. (It's something I've always wondered about since they did that implicit bias test on CVs submitted by male and female scientists, but I don't want to derail this thread :) ) I would certainly hope I don't.

Here's what draws me towards/pushes me away from a fantasy book:

-The cover. I'm admittedly a little superficial like that, but some well-done covers really draw me. Boring-looking ones make me put it back down. I basically picked up Mercedes Lackey's and James Mallory's The Outstretched Shadow because of the cover art.

-The blurb. If the blurb is well-written. That's how I ended up picking The Name of the Wind.

-A quick flip through its contents. This is where I'm not really sure how to articulate things. I flip through the book and I see if the writing style interests me, if there's anything in there that captures my attention. If there is, I get it.

-Recommendation/a review from someone else. That is basically how I started on The Wheel of Time.

...maybe let me go the other way around. Here's what would make me not pick up a book by a female fantasy author: if the book appears as if it's going to focus on a lot of romance, I drop it. It's not really my cup of tea. I'm thinking particularly about urban fantasy (which I grant is a separate kettle of fish), but the female protagonist with love triangles/quandrangles/what-have-you seems to be becoming a trope I am slightly tired of. So I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up yet another of those. That being said, I do like Seanan McGuire's October Daye series, so there's that.

Interestingly enough, back when I read fanfiction, most of the authors I read from/enjoyed reading tended to be female authors, and I did read the fantasy sections, predominantly. I don't know if it's a demographic issue, but it does make me wonder...

When it comes to books, I usually don't even look at the author's name or picture, unless it's one I already like. 

First thing: Cover. If the cover is pretty or eye-catching, I'll move toward it. 

Second thing: Title. If it has an intriguing title, I'll open to the dust jacket or turn to the back cover to read the summary. 

Third thing: Summary. This is the most important factor of all. I can usually tell from the summary if the book is what I'm looking for. If the first few sentences describe a pretty girl, her two love interests, and some paranormal stuff hastily tacked on, I'll skip; but if the summary promises something unexpected, like a city ruled by Evil Superman, I'll read the first few pages. 

Fourth thing: Opening pages. I can usually tell from the opening pages whether or not the writing is decent. If it's amateurishly written, I'll usually put it down, but if the writing is good I'll keep going. 

I've noticed that I do tend to read more fantasy by male authors, but for that I blame the current market. It seems as though every fantasy written by a woman these days has a "plain but pretty" protagonist and a love triangle with two bare-chested hunks shoehorned in. I'm honestly not sure why, because a good deal of those books would have worked with one love interest or none at all, but I suspect it has something to do with publishers and Twilight's popularity; it made them think that love triangles are necessary to gain someone's interest. 

Male authors, on the other hand, seem to have more freedom in deciding what goes into their stories. 

I am very diffident over everything that I don't know, and as such I tend to only buy books/watch movies if someone whose judgment I trust recommends them to me. Only rarely I try something new on my own. it normally happens because i see something in the title or cover that catches my attention (but without being too obvious: if i get the feeling that something is done intentionally to provoke that kind of answer I turn away); in that case, I read the blurb, and if it makes me curious enough, then I try the book. but that happens very rarely.

So, to answer the original question, personally I'm not, but I could be indirecty: it depends on whether the people who recommend books to me are influenced by the gender of the author.

Gender of the author only matters to me if I'm buying urban fantasy. Male authors don't seem to write as many Twilight clone crap as female ones. Or at least they do, but don't get published. So female authors get more scrutiny from me. And if I see the words "sexy" and "vampire" in the blurb, I just run away screaming.

Because ick.

Gender of the author only matters to me if I'm buying urban fantasy. Male authors don't seem to write as many Twilight clone crap as female ones. Or at least they do, but don't get published. So female authors get more scrutiny from me. And if I see the words "sexy" and "vampire" in the blurb, I just run away screaming.

Because ick.

To me, vampires are just glorified mosquitoes. So a vampire romance may as well be a sentient mosquito romance. 

Honestly, unless it's an author I'm already familiar with, I tend not to notice the author's name at all. I'll pick up a book based on either a recommendation, or the title, cover, blurb and sometimes the first page. If I do happen to notice who the author is, it's usually so I can look for other books written by him/her, at which point I'm hooked anyway. :P So.....consciously at least, that the author's gender makes no difference to me.

Sorry if that's more over-complicated of an answer that what you were looking for. :)

This is how I am. The cover tends to be the most important part. It's the first thing you see and the most attention-grabbing. That's why i didn't read Mistborn the first few times I saw it. I honestly don't like the American covers for the hardback very much. It isn't appealing to me. Once I was recommended Brandon by my boss, I began to read him and immediately loved it all. But his first few covers aren't too appealing. The newer ones are great, don't get me wrong.

TwiLyghtSansSparkles, on 13 Jul 2014 - 03:36 AM, said:

To me, vampires are just glorified mosquitoes. So a vampire romance may as well be a sentient mosquito romance.

Way less dangerous than mosquitoes though :P (Had to say that was brilliant.)

This is how I am. The cover tends to be the most important part. It's the first thing you see and the most attention-grabbing. That's why i didn't read Mistborn the first few times I saw it. I honestly don't like the American covers for the hardback very much. It isn't appealing to me. Once I was recommended Brandon by my boss, I began to read him and immediately loved it all. But his first few covers aren't too appealing. The newer ones are great, don't get me wrong.

I actually skipped Elantris because the paperback had a cheap, dime-store-type cover. Then I read Steelheart on the strength of the blurb alone and absolutely loved it, which led me to overlook the less-than-appealing covers of some of Sanderson's other works. 

As long as the person is writing a story I'm interested in, writes well, and writes in a style I like; I'll read them. Gender doesn't matter, though, if I see the word romance, I'm pretty likely to flee. Not into romances, even if there's no love-triangle to speak of...

I actually skipped Elantris because the paperback had a cheap, dime-store-type cover. Then I read Steelheart on the strength of the blurb alone and absolutely loved it, which led me to overlook the less-than-appealing covers of some of Sanderson's other works.

Hmmm, I like Elantris' cover, but anyway...

Consciously, no. I'm not sure if I do have an implicit bias against reading female authors, though. (It's something I've always wondered about since they did that implicit bias test on CVs submitted by male and female scientists, but I don't want to derail this thread :) ) I would certainly hope I don't.

Interestingly enough, back when I read fanfiction, most of the authors I read from/enjoyed reading tended to be female authors, and I did read the fantasy sections, predominantly. I don't know if it's a demographic issue, but it does make me wonder...

Generally speaking, more men write and get published than women in fantasy, so there's bound to be a larger pool of good male authors than female authors. In fanfiction, it's the opposite. So, yeah, definitely a demographic issue, and that perhaps, publishers (still) think that a man writing a fantasy book will be able to sell it to his supposedly male audience. That this view doesn't fit with the times goes without saying though...

Edited by Nymp

Hmm. I tend to prefer male authors who live in Utah and go by the name of Brandon.

Really though, I just read based on the title and cover combined. But as others have said, The cover is the Cincher. Here's an Example from Brandon himself.

This is the Italian cover of Mistborn. I would not have picked up the book if it had this cover.

post-9328-0-69106000-1405209613_thumb.jp

Sorry I can't find a bigger picture of it.

Go HERE for more fun Covers of Mistborn.

My favourite's the one with a topless red-haired guy that appears to be attacking a bundle of seaweed with a pair of literal glass daggers - not obsidian, but prismatic crystal. I don't even know who that's supposed to be.

I've noticed that I do tend to read more fantasy by male authors, but for that I blame the current market. It seems as though every fantasy written by a woman these days has a "plain but pretty" protagonist and a love triangle with two bare-chested hunks shoehorned in. I'm honestly not sure why, because a good deal of those books would have worked with one love interest or none at all, but I suspect it has something to do with publishers and Twilight's popularity; it made them think that love triangles are necessary to gain someone's interest. 

I just went through the but-I-don't-like-paranormal-love-triangles though process when I replied earlier, but decided I was probably unfairly picking out examples because there are plenty books I don't like written by both men and women. But you're right the women tend to write that kind of story more often than guys. Sure, they're using Twilight's popularity, I just wish they'd either write them better, or write something else entirely.

Not sure if I had a point or I'm just ranting.  :rolleyes:

Edit on Mistborn covers:

Is the one with the bald guy supposed to be Sazed? The Lord Ruler? Marsh becoming an Inquisitor?

Ditto swimmingly on the red haired dude. I don't even know what that's supposed to be.

The anime-ish ones (Japanese, I guess?) are gorgeous. Some of the others look cool but I don't get why they have swords....

Edited by Delightful

• 1 month later...

I don't care about the gender of an author. I enjoy Patricia Briggs and Katharine Kerr, but can't stand Katherine Kurtz as she's the George R.R. Martin of women writers in the sheer number of characters she kills off.  

Personally, I liked Twilight, and I liked the last book in the series. They're not great literature, but they were fun reads, albeit with a few pretty goofy (sparkly) parts. I don't know that I'd consider them fantasy, or even urban fantasy, though. They're really just romance books in an urban fantasy environment. I wonder if that crossing of genres isn't part of what garners the series so much hate. People copy what's been popular, though, so I'm not surprised to hear that people are now trying to duplicate her success.

I like BS and similar writers who aren't too dark but have well developed worlds. I don't like my escapist fiction to give me nightmares (Thanks, George R. R.), and I like it complex enough so that I can't figure out everything that's going to happen by chapter 2. If it's a good story, it could be written by purple hermaphroditic aliens for all I care.

• Chaos locked this topic