Returned Vampires

Trusk'our

On at least some parts of Nalthis, Returned are seen akin to vampires, draining the life from the living to sustain themselves.

We know that Returned appear more in accordance with how they see themselves and how society sees them (WoB and other WoB), so would one of these Returned be less like a superhuman in appearance and more like an actual vampire? Plus, the whole increased physical speed and strength lends to the vampire theme as well.

Now I actually really want to see Returned from other cultures on Nalthis and how they are different from the Hallendren Returned.

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

less like a superhuman in appearance and more like an actual vampire?

Well, what are you calling "an actual vampire?" Afterall, an Aswang is nothing like an Alp (and neither fit the Hollywood stereotype).

But I do that that whatever that culture's perception of a Vampire is, the Returned would likely fit some loose stereotypes for that description. I'm more interested in that we know in Hallandren, people may Return for a "reason" - so I wonder if the other culture's Returned also do (or is that a feature of the Hallandren belief that makes this true).

11 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

On at least some parts of Nalthis, Returned are seen akin to vampires, draining the life from the living to sustain themselves.

We know that Returned appear more in accordance with how they see themselves and how society sees them (WoB and other WoB), so would one of these Returned be less like a superhuman in appearance and more like an actual vampire? Plus, the whole increased physical speed and strength lends to the vampire theme as well.

Now I actually really want to see Returned from other cultures on Nalthis and how they are different from the Hallendren Returned.

Possibly, they would be taller, with pale skin, sharp fangs, sparkling and that's mostly it for a stereotypical vampire (?) - of course if that society had already pre existing mythology about vampires, before first Returned showed up there, if not then Returned would define the appearance of vampires and Returned would look mostly the same as in Hallandren.

10 hours ago, Treamayne said:

I'm more interested in that we know in Hallandren, people may Return for a "reason" - so I wonder if the other culture's Returned also do (or is that a feature of the Hallandren belief that makes this true).

I don't think people's perception would define if Returned returned for a reason, because their return is a conscious decision of Endowment, likely independent from people's perception. However as WoB says, there isn't necessarily some specific task for them to perform after their return, Endowment is looking for something when choosing whom to return, but she is not good at understanding humans as she isn't a human. I do wonder what those less specific tasks could be, can they just Return to be scientists, never able to fulfill this purpose like Lightsong was?

Spoiler

Trae

Previously, you've revealed that the mechanism that determines the Returned on Nalthis is a decision of a sapient entity... Is the determination by which the entity that selects the recipient of a Divine Breath to come back as a Returned predicated on that recipient fulfilling some purpose in the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

...Basically they are asking... "Why does the entity that picks who Returns, why did they pick who they did?" And, your question kind of implies there's, like, specific tasks to fulfill. I'm gonna say, there aren't specifics, but there are certain things this entity is looking for--

Trae

In the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. There are certain things that they are looking for. Now, sometimes-- let's just say this entity is not necessarily the most consistent of entities in the cosmere when it comes to making decisions like this. But there are certain things they are looking for.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)

Spoiler

Trae Cooper

In the past we deeply discussed the mechanism with which Breaths are decided to be doled out or endowed on Nalthis. And you said that there is an intellect that is doling them out, but that their intentions or that their goals are difficult to predict or nonstandard. And my question is: are they nonstandard because the base Vessel behind them does not have, at its core, a standard human psychology? 

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO! Good question. Excellent question. RAFO, I like the way you're theorizing. I have said before, that there are multiple nonhuman Vessels in the Cosmere. So, your theorizing perhaps is going to bear fruit. 

Did someone say "chulls"? No, it's not the chulls. There are no chulls that are holding Shards in the Cosmere. 

Footnote: The questioner is referring to this WoB.
JordanCon 2021 (July 17, 2021)