Recommended Reading

I found a couple other threads similar to my idea here (2015) and here (2017); but rather than revive very old threads (and to aid in organization) I decided to start a new thread where we can collectively create a list of recommended reading. If possible, I would like entries to have this information (you can copy this format, but info trumps bullets):

Spoiler
  • Book (or Series Name)
    • Name of first book if a series
    • Number of entries and "Complete" or "Ongoing"
  • Author
  • Genre (generic - doesn't have to be super specific - i.e. Hunger Games - Dystopian SF vs "Alt Earth Future Dystopian War Sci-Fan"
  • Spoiler-free Summary (either for the series or book 1 - can be copied from a bookseller's synopsis or your own)

My plan is to Collect the entries from the thread and quote them here on page one for easy reference.

Edit: I missed the Best Books thread, which is a similar (and slightly more recent) topic. Should I copy some of the items there to this resource?

Thoughts, ideas, submissions (BGCs too)?

Please see Index on Page 2

Index:

Epic Fantasy    

Spoiler

- Codex Alera (Series) by: Jim Butcher
- The First Law (Trilogy) by: Joe Ambercrombie
- Memory, Sorrow, Thorn (Trilogy) by: Tad Williams
- Malazan Book of the Fallen (Series) by: Steven Erikson
- A Song of Ice and Fire (Series) by: George R. R. Martin
- The Wheel of Time (Series) by: Robert Jordan (Estate)
- Seven Kennings (Trilogy) by: Kevin Hearne
- Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
Licanius Trilogy by: James Islington

Adventure Fantasy

Spoiler

- The Witcher (Series) by: Andrzej Sapkowski
- Nevernight Chronicle (Trilogy) by: Jay Kristoff

Fantasy

Spoiler

- The Fionavar Tapestry (Trilogy) by: Guy Gavriel Kay
- The Night Circus by: Erin Morgenstern
- The Powder Mage (Trilogy) by: Brian McClellan
- Throne of Glass (Series) by: Sarah J. Maas

Urban Fantasy

Spoiler

- Iron Druid Chronicles (Series) by: Kevin Hearne
- Chronicles of Amber (Series) by: Roger Zelazny

Science Fiction

Spoiler

- The Sun Eater (Series) by: Christopher Ruocchio
- The Expanse (Series) by: James S. A. Corey
- Remembrance of Earth's Past (Trilogy) by: Liu Cixin
- Ready Player One by: Ernest Cline

Sci-Fan

Spoiler

- Otherland (Quadrilogy) by: Tad Williams
- Riverword (Quintet) by: Philip José Farmer
- Lord of Light by: Roger Zelazny
- The Locked Tomb (Series) by: Tamsyn Muir
- Red Rising (Series) by: Pierce Brown
- Dune [Chronicles] (Series) by: Frank Herbert (estate)

Horror

Spoiler

- The Dark Tower (Series) by: Stephen King

Non-Fiction

Spoiler

- The Killer Angels by: Michael Shaara

Historical Fiction

Spoiler

- The Book Thief by: Markus Zusak

Mystery

Spoiler

- In Death (Series) by: J. D. Robb

Thriller

Spoiler

- The Secret History by: Donna Tartt

Romance

Spoiler

- The Song of Achilles by: Madeline Miller

MG/YA

Spoiler

- The Westing Game by: Ellen Raskin
- The Blackthorne Key by Kevin Sands

MG/YA Speculative Fiction

Spoiler

- Grishaverse (Series) by: Leigh Bardugo
- The Remnant Chronicles (Trilogy) by: Mary E. Pearson

Edited by Treamayne
Multi-post was purposeful for space to organize

Epic Fantasy

Spoiler
On 5/16/2023 at 9:41 PM, Treamayne said:
  •  Codex Alera
    • Book one: Furies of Calderon
    • 6 Books - Complete
  • Author: Jim Butcher
  • Lost Roman Legion didn't disappear on Earth, they were somehow transported to the world of Carna where all "lost travellers of the universe" end up. Beset by enemies on all sides, they eventually developed the capacity for a symbiotic bond with the local "furies" (elementals) which gives them access to "Furycrafting" (possibly the best expression of elemental magic in SF - IMO). After over 1000 yrs of development, the former Romans have created the Aleran Kingdom spanning nearly the entire continent. As of book one, the Heir is dead and Alera begins it's steady march toward civil war as the High Lords begin to vie for power once the aging First Lord should retire or die (or be killed). Into this is born Tavi, a shepherd's apprentice who is the first known Alrean to possess no furycraft in centuries. (Note: Book titles are spoilers so beware of checking them out early)
On 5/17/2023 at 2:11 PM, The cheeseman said:
  • The First Law
    • Book one: The Blade Itself.
    • Completed trilogy
  • Author: Joe Abercrombie
  • Epic fantasy, with touches of grimdark and supernatural throughout.

Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught in one feud too many, he’s on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian – leaving nothing behind him but bad songs, dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman Captain Jezal dan Luthar, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends at cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a box. But then, Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendship. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government, if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Enter the wizard, Bayaz. A bald old man with a terrible temper and a pathetic assistant, he could be the First of the Magi, he could be a spectacular fraud, but whatever he is, he's about to make the lives of Logen, Jezal, and Glokta a whole lot more difficult.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood.

On 5/17/2023 at 5:57 PM, The cheeseman said:
  • Memory, Sorrow, Thorn
    • Book one: The Dragonbone Chair
    • Trilogy, completed.
  • Author: Tad Williams
  • Epic fantasy with just a touch of horror, very similar to Tolkien.

The story of Simon, a young kitchen boy and magician's apprentice, whose dreams of great deeds and heroic wars come all too shockingly true when his world is torn apart by a terrifying civil war—a war fueled by ancient hatreds, immortal enemies, and the dark powers of sorcery.

On 5/8/2023 at 3:46 AM, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:
  • Malazan Book of the Fallen
    • Book One:  Gardens of the Moon
    • 10 Books - Complete
    • Connected series Include Kharkanas Trilogy (2/3 - Erikson), Witness Trilogy (1/3 - Erikson), Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach (6 Novellas - Erikson), Novels of Malazan Empire (6/6 - Ian Esslemont) and Path to Ascendancy (3/4 - Esslemont)
  • Author: Steven Erikson
  • Epic Fantasy - This is without a doubt (in my mind at least) the best work of epic fantasy ever written. It is darker and deals with more adult themes than Sanderson's work, but nothing can beat it for sheer scope and philosophical depth. It features Sanderson like Avalanches at the end of each book, but the necessity of these epic confrontations is explained in world by the idea of Convergence, power attracts power. And then Kaboom.
    • The Malazan Empire simmers with discontent, bled dry by interminable warfare, bitter infighting and bloody confrontations with the formidable Anomander Rake and his Tiste Andii, ancient and implacable sorcerers. Even the imperial legions, long inured to the bloodshed, yearn for some respite. Yet Empress Laseen's rule remains absolute, enforced by her dread Claw assassins. For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his squad of Bridgeburners, and for Tattersail, surviving cadre mage of the Second Legion, the aftermath of the siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the many dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities of Genabackis, yet holds out. It is to this ancient citadel that Laseen turns her predatory gaze.
    • However, it would appear that the Empire is not alone in this great game. Sinister, shadowbound forces are gathering as the gods themselves prepare to play their hand. . .

Reading Order: ( Erikson and Esslemont recommend reading the books in order of publication)

Spoiler

1     Gardens of the Moon   -  Malazan Book of the Fallen #1     1 April 1999
2     Deadhouse Gates   -  Malazan Book of the Fallen #2     1 September 2000
3     Memories of Ice   -  Malazan Book of the Fallen #3     6 December 2001
4     House of Chains   -  Malazan Book of the Fallen #4     2 December 2002
5     Midnight Tides   -  Malazan Book of the Fallen #5     1 March 2004
6     Night of Knives   -  Novels of the Malazan Empire #1     1 September 2004
7     The Bonehunters   -  Malazan Book of the Fallen #6     1 March 2006
8     The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, Volume 1   -  Novellas #1-3     15 September 2009
9     Reaper's Gale  -   Malazan Book of the Fallen #7     7 May 2007
10     Return of the Crimson Guard  -   Novels of the Malazan Empire #2     15 August 2008
11     Toll The Hounds  -   Malazan Book of the Fallen #8     30 June 2008
12     Dust of Dreams  -   Malazan Book of the Fallen #9     18 August 2009
13     Stonewielder  -   Novels of the Malazan Empire #3     25 November 2010
14     The Crippled God  -   Malazan Book of the Fallen #10     15 February 2011
15     Orb Sceptre Throne   -  Novels of the Malazan Empire #4     20 February 2012
16     Blood and Bone  -   Novels of the Malazan Empire #5     22 November 2012
17     Forge of Darkness   -  The Kharkanas Trilogy #1     2 August 2012
18     Assail  -   Novels of the Malazan Empire #6     5 August 2014
19     Fall of Light   -  The Kharkanas Trilogy #2     26 April 2016
20     Dancer's Lament  -   Path to Ascendancy #1     25 February 2016
21     The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, Volume 2   -  Novellas #4-6     20 September 2018
22     Deadhouse Landing   -  Path to Ascendancy #2     15 November 2017
23     Kellanved's Reach  -   Path to Ascendancy #3     19 February 2019
24     The God is Not Willing   -  The Witness Trilogy #1     1 July 2021

On 6/24/2023 at 11:11 AM, The cheeseman said:
  • A Song of Ice and Fire
    • Book 1: A Game of Thrones
    • Seven books series, five completed (Book five was 2011 - book six still TBD)
  • Author: George R R Martin
  • Epic fantasy

First book summary:
Winter is coming. Such is the stern motto of House Stark, the northernmost of the fiefdoms that owe allegiance to King Robert Baratheon in far-off King's Landing. There, Eddard Stark of Winterfell rules in Robert's name. There, his family dwells in peace and comfort: his proud wife, Catelyn; his sons Robb, Brandon, and Rickon; his daughters Sansa and Arya; and his bastard son Jon Snow. Far to the north, behind the towering Wall, lie savage Wildings and worse - unnatural things relegated to myth during the centuries-long summer, but proving all too real and all too deadly in the turning of the season.
Yet a more immediate threat lurks to the south, where Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King, has died under mysterious circumstances. Now Robert is riding north to Winterfell, bringing his queen, the lovely but cold Cersei, his son, the cruel, vainglorious Prince Joffrey, and the queen's brothers Jaime and Tyrion of the powerful and wealthy House Lannister - the first a swordsman without equal, the second a dwarf whose stunted stature belies a brilliant mind. All are heading for Winterfell and a fateful encounter that will change the course of kingdoms.
Meanwhile, across the Narrow Sea, Prince Viserys, heir of the fallen House Targaryen, which once ruled all of Westeros, schemes to reclaim the throne with an army of barbarian Dothraki - whose loyalty he will purchase with the only coin left to him: his beautiful yet innocent sister, Daenerys.

-----------

The series is brutal and has some very adult themes, however, most people's perceptions of how much is incorrect. The show, entitled Game of Thrones, took the dial for brutality and adultness and cranked it up to eleven. But A Song of Ice and Fire is still not for the faint of heart. There are times where, if you read it, you will be horrified and disgusted, but - as I said - they are lesser than you may think. If you enjoyed The Wheel of Time, The First Law, or The Witcher, this may be a series you would enjoy reading.

I know I have.

(Treamayne's Note: Just beware the wait - and expect much purple prose)

On 7/16/2023 at 5:09 PM, The cheeseman said:
  • The Wheel of Time
    • Book One: The Eye of the World
    • Fourteen books - Complete, plus one prequel novel (plus released deleted scenes).
  • Author(s): Begun by Robert Jordan, finished (books 12-14) by Brandon Sanderson
  • Epic Fantasy.

The Wheel of Time turns and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again. What was, what is, and what will be, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

-----

This is an enormous series that will take a lot of time to read, but I guarantee you it is worth it. The journies these characters go through is the most incredible in fantasy. Rand's arc alone impeccable. "I am the storm." Chills. Every time. It's so frickin awesome and you will not regret reading this series.

And just because I can, my favorite quotes.

Spoiler

"Come against me if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the storm! I am the Dragon Reborn!"

"Care for the living, I'll weep for the dead later."

"Here is your flaw, Shai'tan. Lord of the dark, lord of envy. Lord of nothing. Here is why you will always lose. It's not about me. It's never been about me."

"I did not come here to win, I came here to kill you."

"You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. A portion of wisdom lies in that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway."

"The Shadow will not have this city. Not after what these men did to hold it. will not allow it."

"Al'Thor thrust his hand toward the Shadowspawn. And they began to die."

"The only rules he wanted to remember were 'never kiss a girl whose brothers have knife scars' and 'never gamble without knowing a back way out.'"

"The wind was not the end, for there are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was an ending."

•  Seven Kennings
    • Book one: A Plague of Giants
    • Trilogy - Complete
  • Author: Kevin Hearne
  • In Teldwen, Kennings are a form of elemental magic open to anybody, if you are willing to risk your life for the chance to be blessed with a kenning (for example, you can dive into Bryn's Lung, a coastal corel well. Swim to the bottom and you will either be blessed with the Kenning of Water - or drown. There's about a 60% survival rate). The continent has been invaded. . . twice. Following a volcanic eruption at the site of the First Kenning (Fire), the survivors of that island escape to invade the west coast under the guise of refugees (with no intention of leaving - ever). A few months later, a previously unseen race of giants (nicknamed Bone Giants by the invaded) become the first to ever cross the ocean to the East (their west) and survive the krakens that fiercly guard those waters ad are searching for something. Can the denizens of the nations where the Five Kennings are found survive? Is the Sixth Kenning a myth, as long beleived? And what is the Seventh Kenning these Bone Giants are searching for?
  • The story is also a great example of what "right" looks like - where issues of description and demographics (race, orientation, etc) are just that - descriptors. People are judged for themselves, not some label applied to them because of their physical traits, beleifs or orientation (except the Big Bad - the Bone Giants are a more traditional "kill everything that isn't us" types - so far). 
  • From the author's blog post:
    • And what, pray tell, is the Seven Kennings all about? Quite a bit. How we endure and rebuild when the world crashes around us. How a nation’s priorities are reflected in who prospers and who doesn’t, whose stories are told and whose aren’t. How we can coexist with nature and each other. But the kennings themselves are deep magical ties to elemental forces that anyone can tap into if they’re willing to risk their life for it. The first kenning is fire; the second is air; the third is earth; the fourth is water; and the fifth is plant life. When A Plague of Giants opens, the world knows of five kennings and assumes there is a sixth, an affinity with animals, that hasn’t been discovered yet. A seventh isn’t even dreamed of.
On 4/29/2024 at 4:49 PM, SPECTRE120 said:
  • Kingkiller Chronicles
    • Book one: The Name of the Wind
    • Trilogy - Two books complete, Book three pending since 2012
      • Plus one short story, one short story-turned-novella, one novella (so far)
  • Author:  Patrick Rothfuss
  • The world in this book is very fleshed out and real-feeling and has a good magic system. The books have the main character, Kvothe, telling his life story to people, with interludes throughout the book in the present day. Kvothe has become a legendary figure but now is just an innkeeper and he's telling people how he got that way. The series tells how Kvothe went from being a travelling entertainer, to a boy on the streets, to a scholar at a university, to an adventurer. There are lots of unsolved mysteries in this series and lots of theorizing to do. People have been waiting for the third book in the series, the Doors of Stone, for over 10 years, and it probably isn't coming out anytime soon either.

Tremeayne's Note: Like SoIaF - we don't know how long the wait will be for the next book.

• Licanius Trilogy 
    • Book One: The Shadow of What Was Lost
    • Trilogy - Complete
  • Author: James Islington
  • It's hard to explain what the series is about, but here is what I can say without spoiling things: The world used to be ruled by Augurs who could see the future and their followers the gifted, but their visions eventually stopped working and there was a civil war resulting in the death of all augurs and the gifted's powers being limited. The Boundary, which has sealed away a great evil for thousands of years, is weakening, and Davian, the main character, goes on a quest to figure out what is happening. There are 2 different magic systems and the story is very epic, and spans thousands of years.
  • The story is very well crafted and things that might not make sense at the beginning fit perfectly into the overall story. The character development is very good, and you can see characters go through complete transformations. The only critique I have is that some parts of the books feel rushed. I think this series should have been 4 books instead of 3, but it is still a great series.
  • The Grave of Empires
    • Book 1: Seven Blades in Black
    • Trilogy - Complete (plus one prequel novella)
  • Author: Sam Sykes
  • Fast-paced/Action Heavy Epic fantasy
  • (Something to note, try to avoid the back cover blurb if you can, it kind of spoils a plot point, but not too badly) Sal the Cacophony was betrayed. She forsoke her oaths to the Imperium across the sea, and now she roams the Scar, a bitter land hardened by war. She carries a sword of little note, a scarf that can save her life, a bottle of whiskey if there's one available, a magical gun in a world where all magic has a price, and a list. A list with seven names on it, and she will kill everyone she needs to, throw away everyone she loves, leave everyone she meets cursing her name, just to cross them out. 

Adventure Fantasy

Spoiler
  • The Witcher
    • Book one: The Last Wish The Blood of Elves
    • Eight-book series, completed. Five book series, plus three Anthologies
  • Author: Andrzej Sapkowski
  • High fantasy, with a lot of influence from fairy tales.

The Witcher follows Geralt of Rivia--a monster hunter with a silver sword--as he searches for Ciri, the child of prophecy, and a massive war engulfs the continent.

Treamayne's Note: The Last Wish is a five story anthology tied together with a "framing story" and is a prequel to the Quintet. Sword of Destiny has stories that run the Gamut of time for the series and Season of Storms is, chronologically, between Last Wish and Blood of Elves. Witcher computer games are also great.

On 6/9/2022 at 4:13 AM, Cruciatus_heart said:
  • Nevernight Chronicle
    • Book One: Nevernight
    • Trilogy, Completed
  • Author: Jay Kristoff
  • A girl whose father was murdered 6 years ago by three of the most powerful men in the republic, goes to a school to train to become an assassin so that she can kill them in return. Oh also, she can control shadows. . .
    • In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.
    • Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.

Fantasy

Spoiler
On 5/17/2023 at 4:43 PM, Quantus said:
  • The Fionavar Tapestry
    • Book one: The Summer Tree
    • Trilogy from the 80's - Complete
  • Author: Guy Gavriel Kay
  • Isekai, I suppose (Portal Fantasy)
  • Five college kids from Toronto get pulled into a fantasy world after being invited to the world of Fionavar to attend the fiftieth year celebration of a king's reign, and discover various destinies.  Lots of real world mythological influences on the setting, mostly through variant European and Native American cultures and/or mythologies.  
  • NOTE:  This is the author that co-edited The Silmarillion along with JRR Tolkien's son.  This was his first of many award-winning works since.   Most of his later works lean far more heavily into the Historical Fantasy genre, set in fantasy worlds that overtly mirror various historical places and periods.  
  • The Night Circus
    • Stand Alone
  • Author: Erin Morgenstern 
  • Fantasy (ahistorical) - Magic circus. need i say more?
    • The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.
    • But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing.
  • Trivia: It was originally written for the annual writing competition National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) over the span of three competitions. The novel has a nonlinear narrative written from multiple viewpoints.
On 6/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, The Known Novel said:
  • The Powder Mage Trilogy
    • Book One: Promise of Blood
    • Three books - Complete (11 short stories adn novellas so far)
    • Tied to sequal trilogy Gods of Blood and Powder
  • Author: Brian McClellan
  • Epic Fantasy - In a world where mages control gunpowder and bullets, a brilliant general must defend his country from both war and insurrection. In Promise of Blood: Field Marshal Tamas' coup against his king sent corrupt aristocrats to the guillotine and brought bread to the starving. But it also provoked war with the Nine Nations and internal attacks by royalist fanatics. Stretched to his limit, Tamas is relying heavily on his few remaining powder mages. . . 

Yes, definitely. I read book 2 (for the first time,despite having read the Promise of Blood many times) recently, and just felt like every element of the first book was improved upon. If you liked book 1, I think you'll really like book 2.

On 7/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, Ravenclawjedi42 said:
  • Throne of Glass
    • Book One: Throne of Glass
    • Complete - 7 books and a Prequel
  • By Sarah J. Maas
  • High Fantasy
  • After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king’s council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she’ll serve the kingdom for four years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Chaol Westfall, challenging and exhilarating. But she’s bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her … but it’s the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead … quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

Urban Fantasy

Spoiler
  •  Iron Druid
    • Book One: Hounded
    • 9 Books, mult. Short Fiction - Complete
  • Author: Kevin Hearne
  • Atticus (Siodhachan = SHE ya han) is the last druid and (having inherited the herblore of Airmid) and has been on the run for 2000 years. Now living in Tempe Arizona he has been found again. When he finally decides to stop running he sets off a chain of events he could never have expected.
    • In this UF, human belief makes all of the pantheons real, so expect cameos (or more) from not only the Druid faith, but Jesus, Mary, Coyote, Väinämöinen, Ganesh, Monkey King, Odin, Thor, Perun, etc. The Author also tries to stay true to referenced languages and cultures, and includes pronunciation guides (see above) in each book.

Chronology:

Spoiler

0.2 "The Grimoire of the Lamb"(2013) A novella that appears as its own ebook.
0.5 "Clan Rathskeller" (2011) A bonus short story in the Hounded ebook.
0.7 "Kaibab Unbound" (2011) A bonus short story in the Hounded ebook. This was later published in Two Tales of the Iron Druid Chronicles.
1. Hounded (May 2011)
2. Hexed (June 2011)
3. Hammered (July 2011)
3.1 "Test of Mettle" - Granuaile (2011) Appears on the short stories page at Hearne's website, and in the Hammered ebook. This was later published in Two Tales of the Iron Druid Chronicles.
4. Tricked (April 2012)
4.1 "Eye of Horus" (2017), in the Besieged collection.
4.3 "Goddess at the Crossroads" (2015) A novellette featured in the anthology, A Fantasy Medley 3. Also included in the Besieged collection.
4.5 "Two Ravens and One Crow" (2012) This novella appears as its own titled ebook and in the Hunted ebook.
4.6 “The Demon Barker of Wheat Street” (2013), It was featured in the anthology, Carniepunk, and a "slightly revised and expanded version" appeared in the Besieged collection.
4.7 "Gold Dust Druid" (2017), novelette included in the Besieged collection.
4.8 "The Chapel Perilous"(2013) A short story published in the fantasy anthology, Unfettered. This was later released in First Dangle and Other Stories.
5. Trapped (November 2012)
6. Hunted (June 2013)
7. Shattered (June 2014)
7.5 "A Prelude to War" (2015) Featured in the anthology, Three Slices. Also featured as an appendix in the Orbit paperback of Staked.
8. Staked (January 26, 2016)
8.1 "The Bogeyman of Boora Bog" - Owen (2017), in the Besieged collection.
8.2 "Cuddle Dungeon" - Perun (2017), in the Besieged collection.
8.3 "Oberon's Meaty Mysteries: The Purloined Poodle" - Oberon (2016) A story where Oberon solves a mystery with the help of Atticus.
8.4 "Oberon's Meaty Mysteries: The Squirrel on the Train" - Oberon (IDC #8.4) (Released November 2017) A second story where Oberon solves a mystery with the help of Atticus.
8.5 "Blood Pudding" - Granuaile (2017), in the Besieged collection.
8.6 "Haunted Devils"- Owen (2017), in the Besieged collection.
8.8 "The Naughtiest Cherub" - Loki (2019), in First Dangle and Other Stories.
8.9 "The End of Idylls" (2017), in the Besieged collection. The events of this story, narrated by Atticus, take place immediately before the events of Scourged.
9. Scourged (April 5, 2018) - Final novel in the Iron Druid series.
9.2 "Oberon's Meaty Mysteries: The Buzz Kill" - Oberon (IDC #9.2) in the collection Death & Honey (2019).
9.3 "The Waters" - Granuaile (2019), in First Dangle and Other Stories.
9.4 "First Dangle" - Owen (2019), in First Dangle and Other Stories.
9.5 "Oberon's Meaty Mysteries: Fire Hazard" - Oberon (2023) in the collection Heroic Hearts.

Besieged (July 11, 2017) - Anthology collecting nine Iron Druid short stories

On 6/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, Zurvanite said:
  • Chronicles of Amber
    • Book One: Nine Princes in Amber
    • Two 5-Book Arcs (Corwyn Cycle and Merlin Cycle) - Complete
  • Author: Roger Zelazny
  • Fantasy Alt-Earth - Alternate and infinite universes are nothing new in sci-fi and fantasy. But what was the first world that all other worlds stem from? Amber. It follows the Nine Princes of Amber (but mostly Corwin and his son Merlin) who can travel to infinite parallel universes called Shadows and fight against the Courts of Chaos and themselves.
    • The Amber stories take place in two contrasting "true" worlds, Amber and Chaos, and in shadow worlds (Shadows) that lie between the two. These shadows, including Earth, are parallel worlds that exist in — and were created from — the tension between the opposing magical forces of Amber and Chaos.

Science Fiction

Spoiler
On 5/17/2023 at 12:30 AM, Spren of Kindness said:
  • The Sun Eater
    • Book One: Empire of Silence
    • Ongoing (Five books published, two upcoming)
  • By Christopher Ruocchio
  • Epic Space Opera, with dashes of politics and nearly-fantasy
  • Empire of Silence summary:

It was not his war.
   The galaxy remembers him as a hero: the man who burned every last alien Cielcin from the sky. They remember him as a monster: the devil who destroyed a sun, casually annihilating four billion human lives—even the Emperor himself—against Imperial orders.
   But Hadrian was not a hero. He was not a monster. He was not even a soldier.
   On the wrong planet, at the right time, for the best reasons, Hadrian Marlowe starts down a path that can only end in fire. He flees his father and a future as a torturer only to be left stranded on a strange, backwater world.
   Forced to fight as a gladiator and navigate the intrigues of a foreign planetary court, Hadrian must fight a war he did not start, for an Empire he does not love, against an enemy he will never understand.

• The Expanse
    • Book one: Leviathan Wakes
    • Nine-book series, completed.
  • Author: James S.A. Corey
  • Hard sci-fi with touches of horror and a lot of well-written politics

Two hundred years after migrating into space, mankind is in turmoil. When a reluctant ship's captain and washed-up detective find themselves involved in the case of a missing girl, what they discover brings our solar system to the brink of civil war, and exposes the greatest conspiracy in human history.

On 5/8/2023 at 3:46 AM, Hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:
  • Remembrance of Earth's Past Trilogy
    • Book One: The Three Body Problem
    • Trilogy - Complete
  • Author: Liu Cixin
  • Sci Fi -  The most ambitious and original Science Fiction Series I have ever read. The first nbook takes a bit of work to get into, but it's well worth the effort. Liu has some of the most original ideas in Science Fiction, and he writes hard science fiction, so sometimes the fiction part of the fantastical is only a matter of scale of application. If you are looking for a more approachable work, you could check out his short story collection The Wandering Earth, all the short stories are good (with some of them being among the very best of short form science fiction)  and all the stories are linked (sometimes profoundly, sometimes only superficially).
    • An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion
  • Ready Player One 
    • Book One: Ready Player One
    • Duology (with one Short Story by Andy Weir)
  • Author: Ernest Cline
  • Sci-Fi (with Sci-Fan elements in VR): The whole world is a terrible place to live because of poverty, global warming, wars, etc., so most people spend all their time in this virtual reality world called the Oasis. The man who created it died and created an extremely elaborate puzzle/competition and whoever solves it gets control of the Oasis. The story is about this boy who's trying to win the competition and there's an evil corporation trying to beat him.
  • There's a second book too but in my opinion it's much worse than the first.

(Treamayne's note: Like Highlander - there should have been only one. . . )

Sci-Fan

Spoiler
  • Otherland
    • Book One: City of Golden Shadow
    • Quadrilogy, Completed
  • Author: Tad Williams.
  • Alt-Future Sci-Fan. Not too far off into the future, virtual reality is used by corporations and civilians for everything from shopping to meetings, to entertainment. African techie Renie Sulaweyo learns that children are becoming comatose after her brother ends up a victim while visiting a strange VR club. Renie investigates and finds more than she bargained for in a VR entity that almost kills her despite such a thing being impossible. She glimpses a vision of a strange golden city that also looks too real to just be VR. This leads her down a rabbit hole to one of the biggest conspiracies ever, by powerful men with an insidious agenda. There are many characters, like Paul Jonas, a supposed WWI vet trapped in a bizzare world that is reminiscent of fairy tales, !Xabbu an African Bushman who is adept with technology, a boy, Orlando and his best friend Sam who play VRMMOs, and a mysterious old man trapped on a military base named Mister Sellars. 
  • Riverworld
    • Book One: To Your Scattered Bodies Go (The Day of the Great Shout - Magazine Published novella 1965)
    • Five Novels, Complete (Four of Five magazine published novellas reworked into novels 1 and 2)
  • Author Philip José Farmer.
  • Alt-Future Sci-Fan. A series about all of humanity (from when they first emerged as Homo Sapiens to around the early 21st century) waking up on a massive planet with a giant river running down the middle. Famous historical figures like Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) Alice Hargreaves, Cyrano de Bergerac, Mozart, Tom Mix, Sir Richard Burton and King John of England (to name a few) are all characters in the books. They then have to discover why they are there and who or what resurrected them.
  • Lord of Light
    • Stand Alone
  • Author: Roger Zelazny
  • Alt-Future Sci-Fan - Basic premise is very far into the future a group of astronauts crash land on a hostile alien planet. Using their crashed ships highly advanced tech, they become immortal psychic gods based on the Hindu pantheon and rule over the planet as tyrants. They can reincarnate and change form as they please. After a long time one god who goes playfully as Sam, gets tired of the gods being...well gods. So he acts as Buddha and rises up against them with his comrades. Each chapter takes place thousands of years apart from each other. It's a really good read.
  • Trivia: Zelazny noted that Lord of Light was written so that it could be taken as a science fiction or a fantasy novel. The context of the novel is modern western characters in a Hindu-Buddhist-influenced world.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:50 AM, Koloss17 said:
  • The Locked Tomb series
    • Book One: Gideon the Ninth
    • Series: Three so far, book four scheduled Fall 2023 (plus short fiction)
  • Author: Tamsyn Muir
  • Genre: soooo many genres. Definitely fiction, but it has so many elements of so many things. If I were to constrict it to one genre, it would be fantasy horror. It ain’t “chills down your spine” horror, it’s more of “necromancers do some disturbing things” horror.
    • Wikipedia: Critical praise for its handling of fantasy, horror, gothic, and science fiction genres
  • Summary: I think the front review of Gideon the Ninth is a pretty good description: “Lesbian necromancers explore a haunted mansion in space!”
    • The thing that I love the most about this series is the fact that it id jam-packed with worldbuilding, but Tamsyn Muir does this infuriatingly clever thing with letting you in on it, where you only get drops of info when the characters are actively thinking about it. So you get some complex theory or specific bits of history, but you have no idea what order the planets in the solar system is. It is a haven of theories, and it is all that I love about Brandon Sanderson, but make it gorey and very gay. It’s great!
    • Cover Blurb: The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead nonsense.

Tamsyn Muir’s Gideon the Ninth unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as arcane revenants. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy.

Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won’t set her free without a service.

On 7/16/2023 at 4:30 PM, The Known Novel said:
  • Red Rising (Series)
    • Book one: Red Rising
    • Series: Five so far. Original Trilogy (Complete). With a sequel Trilogy~ish, prequel comics and assorted novels/novellas? Ongoing, projected to be seven books long so far.
  • Author: Pierce Brown
  • Dystopian Sci-fi/Sci-Fan

"I live for the dream that my children will be born free," she says. "That they will be what they like. That they will own the land their father gave them."

"I live for you," I say sadly.

Eo kisses my cheek. "Then you must live for more."

~

Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations. Yet he toils willingly, trusting that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.

But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and lush wilds spread across the planet. Darrow--and Reds like him--are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.

Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by his desire for revenge, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies . . . even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.

(Taken from the actual book description, but with one part edited to hide a bit of a Spoiler)

On 7/24/2023 at 11:47 AM, Veledsier said:
  • Dune [Chronicles]
    • Book one: Dune
    • It's Complicated (Please see below) - six by primary author
    • 8 in Primary timeline; 34 total novels, novellas and short stories
  • Author Frank Herbert
  • Sci-Fan (Sci-Fi)
  • Dune is set in the distant future amidst a feudal interstellar society in which various noble houses control planetary fiefs. It tells the story of young Paul Atreides, whose family accepts the stewardship of the planet Arrakis. While the planet is an inhospitable and sparsely populated desert wasteland, it is the only source of melange, or "spice", a drug that extends life and enhances mental abilities. Melange is also necessary for space navigation, which requires a kind of multidimensional awareness and foresight that only the drug provides. As melange can only be produced on Arrakis, control of the planet is a coveted and dangerous undertaking. The story explores the multilayered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion, as the factions of the empire confront each other in a struggle for the control of Arrakis and its spice.

Herbert wrote five sequels: Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune. Following Herbert's death in 1986, his son Brian Herbert and author Kevin J. Anderson continued the series in over a dozen additional novels since 1999.

Chronology of Dune

Spoiler

The Dune Universe can be said to fall into five general time periods:

The Butlerian Jihad

• Legends of Dune prequel trilogy (2002–2004) by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
    • The Butlerian Jihad (2002)
    • The Machine Crusade (2003)
    • The Battle of Corrin (2004)
  • Great Schools of Dune prequel trilogy (2014–2016) by Brian Herbert and Anderson
    • Sisterhood of Dune (2012)
    • Mentats of Dune (2014)
    • Navigators of Dune (2016)

The Corrino-led Imperium

• Prelude to Dune prequel trilogy (1999–2001) by Brian Herbert and Anderson
    • Dune: House Atreides (1999)
    • Dune: House Harkonnen (2000)
    • Dune: House Corrino (2001)
  • Heroes of Dune series (2008–2009) by Brian Herbert and Anderson
    • Paul of Dune (2008) - Split timeline
    • The Winds of Dune (2009) - Split Timeline
  • The Caladan Trilogy (2020–2022) by Brian Herbert and Anderson
    • Dune: The Duke of Caladan (2020)
    • Dune: The Lady of Caladan (2021)
    • Dune: The Heir of Caladan (2022)

The Rise of the Atreides

• Dune (1965) by Frank Herbert
  • Dune Messiah (1969) by Frank Herbert
  • Children of Dune (1976) by Frank Herbert
  • Heroes of Dune series (2008–2009) by Brian Herbert and Anderson

The Reign and Fall of the God Emperor

• God Emperor of Dune (1981) by Frank Herbert

The Return from the Scattering

• Heretics of Dune (1984) by Frank Herbert
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (1985) by Frank Herbert
  • Hunters of Dune (2006) by Brian Herbert and Anderson
  • Sandworms of Dune (2007) by Brian Herbert and Anderson

(Treamayne's Note: Book one is almost always worth the read - the rest can be very devisive (YMMV))

57 minutes ago, Treamayne said:
  • Dungeon Crawler Carl
    • Dungeon Crawler Carl
    • Six books - Ongoing 
  • Matt Dinniman
  • LitRPG Sci Fan
  • Carl, a Coast guard Vet, is outside his apartment (in Boxers and a leather Jacket) trying to coax his Ex's Persian cat (GC) when the Syndicate (Alien Government) "reclaims" all organic and inorganic matter that is under a roof (Immediately destroying all buildings and anything inside of them) and offers the survivors the chance to win their freedom and possessions if they will play an 18 level underground Dungeon Gameshow (D&D style), with the alternative being left on the surface with no supplies. From the book summary:
    • Welcome, Crawler. Welcome to the Dungeon. 
      Survival is optional. 
      Keeping the viewers entertained is not.
      The apocalypse will be televised!
      You know what’s worse than breaking up with your girlfriend? Being stuck with her prize-winning show cat. And you know what’s worse than that? An alien invasion, the destruction of all man-made structures on Earth, and the systematic exploitation of all the survivors for a sadistic intergalactic game show. That’s what. 
      Join Coast Guard vet Carl and his ex-girlfriend’s cat, Princess Donut, as they try to survive the end of the world—or just get to the next level—in a video game–like, trap-filled fantasy dungeon. A dungeon that’s actually the set of a reality television show with countless viewers across the galaxy. Exploding goblins. Magical potions. Deadly, drug-dealing llamas.
      This ain’t your ordinary game show. 

Horror

Spoiler
On 6/5/2023 at 12:47 PM, The cheeseman said:
  • The Dark Tower
    • Book one: The Gunslinger
    • Eight book series - Completed
  • Author: Stephen King
  • Horror/Western/Sci-fi. Mostly horror though. (it's King, after all) - The Dark Tower series tells the story of Roland Deschain, Mid-World's last gunslinger, who is traveling southeast across Mid-World's post-apocalyptic landscape, searching for the powerful but elusive magical edifice known as The Dark Tower.

Edited by Treamayne
Updates

Non-Fiction

Spoiler
  • The Killer Angels
    • Son Jeff Shaara followed this with similar titles
  • Author: Michael Shaara
  • Historical novel that was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1975. The book depicts the three days of the Battle of Gettysburg during the American Civil War, and the days leading up to it: June 29, 1863, as the troops of both the Union and the Confederacy move into battle around the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and July 1, July 2, and July 3, when the battle was fought. The story is character-driven and told from the perspective of various historical figures from both the Confederacy and the Union.

Historical Fiction

Spoiler
On 12/6/2023 at 9:33 PM, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:
  • The Book Thief
    • Stand Alone
  • Author: Marcus Zusak
  • Historical Fiction
  • Narrated by Death, this book set during World War II centers around the character of Liesel Memminger as her foster family tries to keep a steady income while hiding a Jewish person in their basement and Liesel falls in love with books, some of which she steals. The narration style takes some getting used to—especially since the narrator spoils elements of the book at different points—but it is an amazing book.

Mystery

Spoiler
  • . . . In Death
    • Book One: Naked in Death
    • 56 Novels and growing (plus short stories - books are about 300 pgs each)
  • Author: J. D. Robb (a.k.a. Nora Roberts)
  • Detective Thriller (with Soft Sci-Fi and Romance elements) - The ...in Death series of novels and novellas is written by Nora Roberts under her pseudonym J. D. Robb. Set in a mid-21st-century New York City (Book 1 is 2058), they feature NYPSD ("New York City Police and Security Department") Lieutenant Eve Dallas.
    • Traumatic backstory doesn't cover Eve's past, as the case in the first book makes the first cracks in her trauma-induced amnesia (it's over 30 books before she remembers most of what happened to her before the age of 9) - but each book is a mostly self-contained case(s) with the character arcs providing the series framework.
  • Detective story, set 20 Minutes in the Future, with a dash of romance

Content Warning: Both crimes and backstories have content that some may find objectionable

Chronology (Novellas list first print and reprint anthologies):

Spoiler

1    Naked in Death        Jul-95    
2    Glory in Death        Dec-95    
3    Immortal in Death    Jul-96    
4    Rapture in Death    Oct-96    
5    Ceremony in Death    May-97    
6    Vengeance in Death    Oct-97    
7    Holiday in Death    Jun-98    
7.5    Midnight in Death    Nov-98    Silent Night / Three in Death
8    Conspiracy in Death    Apr-99    
9    Loyalty in Death    Oct-99    
10    Witness in Death    Mar-00    
11    Judgment in Death    Sep-00    
12    Betrayal in Death    Mar-01    
12.5    Interlude in Death    Aug-01    Out of this World / Three in Death
13    Seduction in Death    Sep-01    
14    Reunion in Death    Mar-02    
15    Purity in Death        Sep-02    
16    Portrait in Death    Mar-03    
17    Imitation in Death    Sep-03    
17.5    Big Jack        Sep-03    Remember When (Part 2 with Hot Rocks)
18    Divided in Death    Jan-04    
19    Visions in Death    Aug-04    
20    Survivor in Death    Feb-05    
21    Origin in Death        Jul-05    
22    Memory in Death        Jan-06    
22.5    Haunted in Death    Apr-06    Bump in the Night / Three in Death
23    Born in Death        Nov-06    
24    Innocent in Death    Feb-07    
25    Creation in Death    Nov-07    
25.5    Eternity in Death    Nov-07    Dead of Night / Time of Death
26    Strangers in Death    Feb-08    
27    Salvation in Death    Nov-08    
27.5    Ritual in Death        Nov-08    Suite 606 / Time of Death
28    Promises in Death    Feb-09    
29    Kindred in Death    Nov-09    
29.5    Missing in Death    Dec-09    The Lost / Time of Death
30    Fantasy in Death    Jan-10    
31    Indulgence in Death    Nov-10    
31.5    Possession in Death    Nov-10    The Other Side
32    Treachery in Death    Feb-11    
33    New York to Dallas    Sep-11    
33.5    Chaos in Death        Sep-11    The Unquiet
34    Celebrity in Death    Feb-12    
35    Delusion in Death    Sep-12    
36    Calculated in Death    Feb-13    
37    Thankless in Death    Sep-13    
37.5    Taken in Death        Oct-13    Mirror, Mirror
38    Concealed in Death    Feb-14    
39    Festive in Death    Sep-14    
40    Obsession in Death    Feb-15    
41    Devoted in Death    Sep-15    
41.5    Wonderment in Death    Sep-15    Down the Rabbit Hole
42    Brotherhood in Death    Feb-16    
43    Apprentice in Death    Sep-16    
44    Echoes in Death        Feb-17    
45    Secrets in Death    Sep-17    
46    Dark in Death        Jan-18    
47    Leverage in Death    Sep-18    
48    Connections in Death    Feb-19    
49    Vendetta in Death    Sep-19    
50    Golden in Death        Feb-20    
51    Shadows in Death    Dec-20    
52    Faithless in Death    Feb-21    
53    Forgotten in Death    Sep-21    
54    Abandoned in Death    Feb-22    
55    Desperation in Death    Sep-22    
56    Encore in Death        Feb-23   

Thriller

Spoiler
  • The Secret History
    • Stand Alone
  • Author: Donna Tartt 
  • Inverted Detective Thriller - Elite students at a university murder someone
    • Under the influence of a charismatic classics professor, a group of clever, eccentric misfits at a New England college discover a way of thought and life a world away from their banal contemporaries. But their search for the transcendent leads them down a dangerous path, beyond human constructs of morality.

Romance

Spoiler
  • The Song of Achilles
    • Stand Alone (but part of a non-series shared concept - retelling Greek classics)
  • Author: Madeline Miller 
  • Historical Romance - Gay retelling of Trojan War
    • Set during the Greek Heroic Age, it is an adaptation of Homer's Iliad as told from the perspective of Patroclus (son of King Menoetius). The novel follows Patroclus' relationship with Achilles, from their initial meeting to their exploits during the Trojan War, with focus on their romantic relationship.

MG/YA

Spoiler
  • The Westing Game
    • Stand Alone
  • Author: Ellen Raskin
  • Recommended Ages: 11yo +
  • MG "Fair-Play" Mystery - A murder-mystery epic Newbery Award winning novel by Ellen Raskin about sixteen heirs who compete to win a $200 million inheritance from the late Samuel W. Westing. Westing, for his own reasons, has set up a game of his own, set in a very large, cushy apartment building where the heirs and their families are staying; the only clues he gives the players are seemingly nonsensical words printed on paper towel squares. Figure out the clues and the answer should be obvious... The pair that solves the mystery of his death will inherit Westing's entire $200 million fortune and control of his company.
6 hours ago, SPECTRE120 said:
  • Blackthorn Key
    • Book One: The Blackthorn Key
    • Six Books - Complete
  • Author: Kevin Sands
  • MG/YA Historical Mystery
  • The books take place in 16th century England and the main character is an apothecary's apprentice who gets involved with assassins and secret societies. He has to solve clues and puzzles. The first 3 books are very good and then they get worse from there, but all 6 books are decent. From the blurb:
    • Until he got that cryptic warning, Christopher Rowe was happy, learning how to solve complex codes and puzzles and creating powerful medicines, potions, and weapons as an apprentice to Master Benedict Blackthorn—with maybe an explosion or two along the way.

But when a mysterious cult begins to prey on London’s apothecaries, the trail of murders grows closer and closer to Blackthorn’s shop. With time running out, Christopher must use every skill he’s learned to discover the key to a terrible secret with the power to tear the world apart.

MG/YA Speculative Fiction

Spoiler
  • Grishaverse - The Six of Crows Duology
    • Book One: Six of Crows
    • Middle Series in Grishaverse (Shadow and Bone Trilogy, Six of Crows Duology, King of Scars Duology)
  • Author: Leigh Bardugo  
  • Recommended Ages: 13yo +
  • YA Fantasy. An unlikely group of outcasts and criminals perform a heist.
    • Meet Kaz Brekker and his crew: Jesper, Inej, Wylan, and the star-crossed Nina and Matthias, on the heist of a lifetime in Six of Crows from #1 bestselling author, Leigh Bardugo.
    • Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone. . .

On 6/29/2023 at 3:22 AM, The Sibling said:
  • The Remnant Chronicles
    • Book One : The Kiss of Deception
    • 3 books - Complete
    • Connected books : Dance of Thieves, Vow of Thieves, Morrighan
  • Author : Mary E Pearson
  • Recommended Ages: 13yo +
  • Genre : YA Fantasy 
  • Summary : Lia is the princess of Morrighan, who flees her arranged marriage to a small town where she works in an inn. Two men come to stay at the inn, one an assassin sent to kill her, and the other the prince who she ran away from. It's up to you to figure out which is which.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, the summary doesn't do it justice. It sounds a little bit generic, but I have to say, these books are awesome. The world is awesome, the magic is awesome, the city is awesome, and the characters feel incredibly real. The series starts good and just keeps getting better. The other series in the same world is not quite as incredible, but I would still definitely suggest it too. these are the kind of books that you beg your friends to read because you need to talk to someone about how much you love Kaden (Even though my friend prefers Rafe, which is unforgivable).

Edited by Treamayne
Updates

Space Opera

Spoiler

The Sun Eater

• Empire of Silence
  • Ongoing (Five books published, two upcoming)
  • By Christopher Ruocchio
  • Epic science fiction, with dashes of politics and nearly-fantasy

Empire of Silence summary:

It was not his war.
   The galaxy remembers him as a hero: the man who burned every last alien Cielcin from the sky. They remember him as a monster: the devil who destroyed a sun, casually annihilating four billion human lives—even the Emperor himself—against Imperial orders.
   But Hadrian was not a hero. He was not a monster. He was not even a soldier.
   On the wrong planet, at the right time, for the best reasons, Hadrian Marlowe starts down a path that can only end in fire. He flees his father and a future as a torturer only to be left stranded on a strange, backwater world.
   Forced to fight as a gladiator and navigate the intrigues of a foreign planetary court, Hadrian must fight a war he did not start, for an Empire he does not love, against an enemy he will never understand.

Had some trouble with getting the post formatting tools to cooperate, hope it doesn't make it difficult to read!

6 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Had some trouble with getting the post formatting tools to cooperate, hope it doesn't make it difficult to read!

Thank you very much - I'm not so worried about the bullets as I am the information included. I guess I should have been more specific about that (bullets are easy to add, I'm trying to avoid needing to look up a ton of info for every "recommendation"). I'm sorry

Fantasy

Spoiler
  • The First Law
    • Book one: The Blade Itself.
    • Completed trilogy
  • By Joe Abercrombie
  • Epic fantasy, with touches of grimdark and supernatural throughout.

Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught in one feud too many, he’s on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian – leaving nothing behind him but bad songs, dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies.

Nobleman Captain Jezal dan Luthar, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends at cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules.

Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a box. But then, Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendship. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government, if he can stay alive long enough to follow it.

Enter the wizard, Bayaz. A bald old man with a terrible temper and a pathetic assistant, he could be the First of the Magi, he could be a spectacular fraud, but whatever he is, he's about to make the lives of Logen, Jezal, and Glokta a whole lot more difficult.

Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood.

Fantasy (classic)

• Spoiler

• The Fionavar Tapestry
      • The Summer Tree
      • Trilogy from the 80's
    • Guy Gavriel Kay
    • Isekai, I suppose?
    • Five college kids from Toronto get pulled into a fantasy world after being invited to the world of Fionavar to attend the fiftieth year celebration of a king's reign, and discover various destinies.  Lots of real world mythological influences on the setting, mostly through variant European and Native American cultures and/or mythologies.  
    • NOTE:  This is the author that co-edited The Silmarillion along with JRR Tolkien's son.  This was his first of many award-winning works since.   Most of his later works lean far more heavily into the Historical Fantasy genre, set in fantasy worlds that overtly mirror various historical places and periods.  

Classic fantasy

Spoiler
  • Memory, Sorrow, Thorn
    • Trilogy, completed. Book one: The Dragonbone Chair
    • By Tad Williams
  • Epic fantasy with just a touch of horror, very similar to Tolkien.

The story of Simon, a young kitchen boy and magician's apprentice, whose dreams of great deeds and heroic wars come all too shockingly true when his world is torn apart by a terrifying civil war—a war fueled by ancient hatreds, immortal enemies, and the dark powers of sorcery.

Fantasy

Spoiler
  • The Witcher
    • Eight-book series, completed. Book one: The Last Wish
    • By Andrzej Sapkowski
  • High fantasy, with a lot of influence from fairy tales.

The Witcher follows Geralt of Rivia--a monster hunter with a silver sword--as he searches for Ciri, the child of prophecy, and a massive war engulfs the continent.

Sci-fi

Spoiler
  • The Expanse
    • Nine-book series, completed. Book one: Leviathan Wakes
    • By James S.A. Corey
  • Hard sci-fi with touches of horror and a lot of well-written politics

Two hundred years after migrating into space, mankind is in turmoil. When a reluctant ship's captain and washed-up detective find themselves involved in the case of a missing girl, what they discover brings our solar system to the brink of civil war, and exposes the greatest conspiracy in human history.

Thanks everybody - posted to here.

Also, how do you all think we should handle cross genre? Post the summary in both places? Post only in the primary and reference the secondary in the summary?

Example: I was contemplating adding the "In Death" series (one part police procedural Thriller, one part SciFi, one part Romance), though I was avoiding adding too many items myself (since I want most content to come from the community) but the thought-exercise made me consider this question and decide to ask all y'all what you think.

Edit: I also added a couple of "chronologies" (Malazan, Iron Druid, and In Death). Is this a "good thing"tm?

Fantasy

I made a small tweak to your Geralt post (and also linked a source). Hope you don't mind . . .

I got a bit obsessed over the Witcher playing Witcher 1 and 2 when deployed to Afghanistan a decade ago (well 2011/12 ~ish - shortly after Assassins of Kings released)

Tangent:

Spoiler

All of the games have plusses and minuses. Witcher 3 is a gorgeous open-world and Witcher 2 was too short, but the story and set-up was superb (two separate storylines splitting after act one - not even in the same environment). But for my money, I still love Witcher 1 the best. Combat may be clunky (and the 2007 graphics are very dated), but it has by-far the best alchemy system and you don't need a degree to understand the experience trees. . .

@Cruciatus_heart, @Hoiditthroughthegrapevine, and @Zurvanite, I hope you don't mind me quoting your posts from Best Books, since I guessed you were recommending them there (You had descriptions, not just a list).  Feel free to recommend more below.

Edited by Treamayne
Updates to list

• 2 weeks later...

@Treamayne, since you added that post, I'll note that his most recent novel, In the Shadow of Lightning, was also excellent. Brandon said, and most people I've seen agree, that that was his most Brandon book so far.

Spoiler
  • The Glass Immortals
    • In the Shadow of Lightning 
    • Projected to be a trilogy with (knowing Brian McClellan) a lot of side novellas. Ongoing.
  • Brian McClellan 
  • High Fantasy and Flintlock Fantasy (he practically started the genre)

Damir Grappo, outcast by choice, must return home to the grand city of his birth, Ossa. He must unearth the conspiracy responsible for his mother death, and when he finds out that the foundation upon which the Ossan Empire is built, godglass, is crumbling, he must find out how to do the impossible before the world falls apart. Who is his help? A madman, whose insanity is barely kept away by the godglass in his eye, an enforcer from an enemy faction and once lover of Demir's brother, and a glass engineer, master at her craft, that might hold the key to reviving godglass.

Edited by The Known Novel

9 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

@Treamayne, since you added that post, I'll note that his most recent novel, In the Shadow of Lightning, was also excellent. Brandon said, and most people I've seen agree, that that was his most Brandon book so far.

Thanks. Do you happen to know if that is part of the follow on trilogy that @StormingTexan mentioned, a new trilogy, or just a continuation of Powder Mage (making it a series rather than a trilogy)?

Edit: Updated the quote in Fantasy

Edited by Treamayne

Just now, Treamayne said:

Thanks. Do you happen to know if that is part of the follow on trilogy that @StormingTexan mentioned, a new trilogy, or just a continuation of Powder Mage (making it a series rather than a trilogy)?

Completely new series in a completely new world. I'm working on a formatted one for you. 

2 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

Completely new series in a completely new world. I'm working on a formatted one for you. 

Copy all. Formatting is less important than having the pertinant details (I can add the bullets easily - looking up the data is the time intensive part)

Horror

Spoiler
  • The Dark Tower
    • Eight book series, completed. Book one: The Gunslinger.
    • By Stephen King
  • Horror/Western/Sci-fi. Mostly horror though. (it's King, after all)

The Dark Tower series tells the story of Roland Deschain, Mid-World's last gunslinger, who is traveling southeast across Mid-World's post-apocalyptic landscape, searching for the powerful but elusive magical edifice known as The Dark Tower.

Horror/fantasy/romance/sci-fi/mystery

Spoiler

The Locked Tomb series

4 book series, three currently published.

Author: Tamsyn Muir

First book: Gideon the Ninth

Genre: soooo many genres. Definitely fiction, but it has so many elements of so many things. If I were to constrict it to one genre, it would be fantasy horror. It ain’t “chills down your spine” horror, it’s more of “necromancers do some disturbing things” horror.

Summary: 

I think the front review of Gideon the Ninth is a pretty good description: “Lesbian necromancers explore a haunted mansion in space!”

The thing that I love the most about this series is the fact that it id jam-packed with worldbuilding, but Tamsyn Muir does this infuriatingly clever thing with letting you in on it, where you only get drops of info when the characters are actively thinking about it. So you get some complex theory or specific bits of history, but you have no idea what order the planets in the solar system is. It is a haven of theories, and it is all that I love about Brandon Sanderson, but make it gorey and very gay. It’s great!

• 3 weeks later...

Fantasy

Spoiler
  • A Song of Ice and Fire
    • Seven books series, five completed. Book one: A Game of Thrones
    • by George R R Martin
  • Epic fantasy

First book summary:
Winter is coming. Such is the stern motto of House Stark, the northernmost of the fiefdoms that owe allegiance to King Robert Baratheon in far-off King's Landing. There, Eddard Stark of Winterfell rules in Robert's name. There, his family dwells in peace and comfort: his proud wife, Catelyn; his sons Robb, Brandon, and Rickon; his daughters Sansa and Arya; and his bastard son Jon Snow. Far to the north, behind the towering Wall, lie savage Wildings and worse - unnatural things relegated to myth during the centuries-long summer, but proving all too real and all too deadly in the turning of the season.
Yet a more immediate threat lurks to the south, where Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King, has died under mysterious circumstances. Now Robert is riding north to Winterfell, bringing his queen, the lovely but cold Cersei, his son, the cruel, vainglorious Prince Joffrey, and the queen's brothers Jaime and Tyrion of the powerful and wealthy House Lannister - the first a swordsman without equal, the second a dwarf whose stunted stature belies a brilliant mind. All are heading for Winterfell and a fateful encounter that will change the course of kingdoms.
Meanwhile, across the Narrow Sea, Prince Viserys, heir of the fallen House Targaryen, which once ruled all of Westeros, schemes to reclaim the throne with an army of barbarian Dothraki - whose loyalty he will purchase with the only coin left to him: his beautiful yet innocent sister, Daenerys.

The series is brutal and has some very adult themes, however, most people's perceptions of how much is incorrect. The show, entitled Game of Thrones, took the dial for brutality and adultness and cranked it up to eleven. But A Song of Ice and Fire is still not for the faint of heart. There are times where, if you read it, you will be horrified and disgusted, but - as I said - they are lesser than you may think. If you enjoyed The Wheel of Time, The First Law, or The Witcher, this may be a series you would enjoy reading.

I know I have.

Fantasy

Spoiler

The Remnant Chronicles

Book One : The Kiss of Deception

3 books - Complete

Connected books : Dance of Thieves, Vow of Thieves, Morrighan

Author : Mary E Pearson

Genre : YA Fantasy 

Summary : Lia is the princess of Morrighan, who flees her arranged marriage to a small town where she works in an inn. Two men come to stay at the inn, one an assassin sent to kill her, and the other the prince who she ran away from. It's up to you to figure out which is which.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, the summary doesn't do it justice. It sounds a little bit generic, but I have to say, these books are awesome. The world is awesome, the magic is awesome, the city is awesome, and the characters feel incredibly real. The series starts good and just keeps getting better. The other series in the same world is not quite as incredible, but I would still definitely suggest it too. these are the kind of books that you beg your friends to read because you need to talk to someone about how much you love Kaden (Even though my friend prefers Rafe, which is unforgivable).

Edited by The Sibling

• 3 weeks later...

Sci-fi:

Spoiler
  • Red Rising
  • Series of the same name, five books long. With a prequel and assorted novels/novellas? Ongoing, projected to be seven books long
  • By Pierce Brown
  • Dystopian Sci-fi

"I live for the dream that my children will be born free," she says. "That they will be what they like. That they will own the land their father gave them."

"I live for you," I say sadly.

Eo kisses my cheek. "Then you must live for more."

~

Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations. Yet he toils willingly, trusting that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.

But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and lush wilds spread across the planet. Darrow--and Reds like him--are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.

Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by his desire for revenge, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies . . . even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.

(Taken from the actual book description, but with one part edited to hide a bit of a Spoiler)

Edited by The Known Novel

Fantasy

Spoiler
  • The Wheel of Time
  • Fourteen books series, completed. Begins with The Eye of the World
  • Begun by Robert Jordan, finished by Brandon Sanderson
  • EPIC fantasy.

The Wheel of Time turns and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again. What was, what is, and what will be, may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

-----

This is an enormous series that will take a lot of time to read, but I garuntee you it is worth it. The journies these characters go through is the most incredible in fantasy. Rand's arc alone is impeccable. "I am the storm." Chills. Every time. It's so frickin awesome and you will not regret reading this series.

And just because I can, my favorite quotes.

Spoiler

"Come against me if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the storm! I am the Dragon Reborn!"

"Care for the living, I'll weep for the dead later."

"Here is your flaw, Shai'tan. Lord of the dark, lord of envy. Lord of nothing. Here is why you will always lose. It's not about me. It's never been about me."

"I did not come here to win, I came here to kill you."

"You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. A portion of wisdom lies in that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway."

"The Shadow will not have this city. Not after what these men did to hold it. will not allow it."

"Al'Thor thrust his hand toward the Shadowspawn. And they began to die."

"The only rules he wanted to remember were 'never kiss a girl whose brothers have knife scars' and 'never gamble without knowing a back way out.'"

"The wind was not the end, for there are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was an ending."

Edited by The cheeseman

Updated to here.

Should we separate the Fantasy section so it's not too long of a single spoiler box?

Maybe separate Epic Fantasy (the way we did Urban Fantasy). If yes, is that the best separation - and with which criterion? Number of books? Page count? Content?

Thoughts, ideas, BGCs?

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

31 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Updated to here.

Should we separate the Fantasy section so it's not too long of a single spoiler box?

Maybe separate Epic Fantasy (the way we did Urban Fantasy). If yes, is that the best separation - and with which criterion? Number of books? Page count? Content?

Thoughts, ideas, BGCs?

I think High, Low (Urban would be split among these), and Epic would be the best way to split them. Adventure Fantasy would be a good additional Subcategory. Low is Earth based, High is not, Epic is High with world ending threats and large scopes. Adventure is pretty self explanatory: Fantasy focused on the Quest archetype, or some other adventure sort of thing. Think:

Low: Reckoners 

High: Warbreaker

Epic: Stormlight 

Adventure: LotR (is sometimes called Epic, but adventure fits better)

19 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

I think High, Low (Urban would be split among these), and Epic would be the best way to split them. Adventure Fantasy would be a good additional Subcategory. Low is Earth based, High is not, Epic is High with world ending threats and large scopes. Adventure is pretty self explanatory: Fantasy focused on the Quest archetype, or some other adventure sort of thing. Think:

This is good. I've always preferred having things split into sub-whatever. It'll help if people are looking for a specific type of fantasy/sci-fi/whatever.

19 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

True. The Silmarillion is the Epic part of the Legendarium.

20 hours ago, The Known Novel said:

1 hour ago, The cheeseman said:

This is good. I've always preferred having things split into sub-whatever. It'll help if people are looking for a specific type of fantasy/sci-fi/whatever.

True. The Silmarillion is the Epic part of the Legendarium.

I would worry about the High/Low label - the definitions aren't quite as easy as you make them sound (e.g. Harry Potter is considered High Fantasy despite both Earth-based and almost-modern London (from when Book 1 was written). However, since we already have an Urban Fantasy category it may not be necessary to separate high/low.

But, even if we just split into Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, and Adventure Fantasy that gives us three categories for the current one. Right now Fantasy has:

Spoiler

Codex Alera
The First Law
The Fionavar Tapestry
The Witcher
Memory, Sorrow, Thorn
Nevernight Chronicle
The Night Circus
Malazan Book of the Fallen
A Song of Ice and Fire
The Powder Mage Trilogy
The Wheel of Time