Extraordinary Senses and Where to Store Them

Koloss17

12 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I could be wrong about q1, I did miss that assume it works the same. (I was seeing BS long response as more confirmation of the assumption, rather than answering the question, which was the short response.) However, version of himself that isn't blind were her exact words, so q2 isn't fully answered.

It is: "A blind person would indeed sense these things, but not have the vision with the eyes." - It doesn't mean a gold shadow that is also blind, but a blind person won't have his vision restored, won't see with his eyes, no matter what his gold shadow is.

I do wonder if it would be possible for a kandra to use tin medallions to fill up on the more unusual animal senses, like the ability of eels and platypuses to sense electric fields or the sonar skills of the whales. I'm sure there'd be a bizarre market in tin medallions with super senses from animals.

14 minutes ago, Proletariat said:

I do wonder if it would be possible for a kandra to use tin medallions to fill up on the more unusual animal senses, like the ability of eels and platypuses to sense electric fields or the sonar skills of the whales. I'm sure there'd be a bizarre market in tin medallions with super senses from animals.

They can fill medallions while in the body of platypus or eel, but once the body is changed, or the medallion is given to a person, they don't have that sensory organ at all, tapping won't do much in that case. That's what I believe to be the case for F-tin - you need sensory organs to be able to store/tap senses. You won't generate an electric field and sense with it when your body can't do that in the first place.

11 minutes ago, alder24 said:

They can fill medallions while in the body of platypus or eel, but once the body is changed, or the medallion is given to a person, they don't have that sensory organ at all, tapping won't do much in that case. That's what I believe to be the case for F-tin - you need sensory organs to be able to store/tap senses. You won't generate an electric field and sense with it when your body can't do that in the first place.

Humans can sense electric fields, its just very weak and vestigial.

2 minutes ago, Argenti said:

Humans can sense electric fields, its just very weak and vestigial.

We don't have electroreceptors in our body, we don't have electric organs generating outside electric fields, therefore we won't sense via electric fields. The process with which the human body detects electromagnetic fields is not understood yet. But we don't have sensory organs like platypuses or many fishes have.

4 minutes ago, alder24 said:

We don't have electroreceptors in our body, we don't have electric organs generating outside electric fields, therefore we won't sense via electric fields. The process with which the human body detects electromagnetic fields is not understood yet. But we don't have sensory organs like platypuses or many fishes have.

Well yes, we don't know how it works, but you don't have know how they work to use them. Human brains react to them, in a very minor way. Not anyone could use it to their full abilities, as it would require training and a ton of practice to interpret the reaction.

12 minutes ago, Argenti said:

Well yes, we don't know how it works, but you don't have know how they work to use them. Human brains react to them, in a very minor way. Not anyone could use it to their full abilities, as it would require training and a ton of practice to interpret the reaction.

As I clearly stated, this is my opinion - you need a sensory organ to store sense and tap senses in your tinmind. Without a sensory organ you can't do it. Changes in an electric current flowing through your nerve fibers and neurons aren't a sensory organ. That's why I don't think you could store that in a tinmind. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2023 at 4:48 PM, alder24 said:

As I clearly stated, this is my opinion - you need a sensory organ to store sense and tap senses in your tinmind. Without a sensory organ you can't do it. Changes in an electric current flowing through your nerve fibers and neurons aren't a sensory organ. That's why I don't think you could store that in a tinmind. 

Fair argument. Tin seems to store the quality of the sense as opposed to the sense itself, though this gets a little fuzzy at the extreme end of storing. Storing Sight doesn't seem to make you blind, it just gives you varying degrees of worse eyesight. If Tin stored the sense itself, then I think I'd side with @Koloss17, and the Investiture would bridge the gap for something like that.