What Order would you be?

Pick your Order!  

136 members have voted

1. 1. What Radiant Order would you want to be, and why?

I want to be a Truthwatcher!

• I've always been fond of superpowers allowing foresight and healing;
  • Progression and Illumination are my favorite surges so far;
  • Creating Illusions and being invisible is awesome;
  • I'd prefer to heal and support over do much fighting myself;
  • I find their attributes appealing;
  • Green is my favorite color;
  • So far I can best relate to their description.

What Order would I be? I don't know what most of them value, so I can't answer that.

Well, Windrunners are cool and would eat Edgedancers for breakfast (adhesion beats Slick any day), but Skybreakers are probably my favorite as far as powers go. 

What I would really like is Gravity and Progression, but I'm generally opposed to Spiking. Although, I'd Spike some of the more obviously evil characters. 

So, I'm going to take Skybreaker and grab the Truthwatcher Honorblade. =)

Obviously I have a leaning towards Elsecallers, given that is my avatar. I believe that the attributes fit me, and soulcasting is totally spellcasting in Roshar. Plus: TELEPORTATION!!! lol. My main problem, so far, with the elsecall surge is that elsecalling (cough*teleporting*cough) has yet to be described well. Is it just a one way ticket between here and the respective place in the cognitive realm? Would I have to travel normally once there? Or could I just do like I would want to do and teleport anywhere? How fast is the teleportation? All these questions would have to be answered (and in the way I would wish) for me to really place myself into the elsecaller camp because of their surges. Attributes, yeah, I fit. Personality.....somewhat so.

If I couldn't be an Elsecaller (or if I couldn't pop around in battle as an Elsecaller), I'd probably go with Windrunner. The whole protecting of others fits me well (I'd so get into a shouting match with skybreakers about the spirit of the law being greater than the letter of the law) and their mobility definitely allows them to be powerful warriors (completely different archetype to the magey elsecallers, I know), so that's cool. Also, I love flying and would love to be able to just ignore the danger of heights (yes, I am very, very afraid of heights).

My third pick would probably be...Edgedancer, if only because it would allow me to heal others. I practice some swordsmanship in real life, so I already know some applications for the Abrasion surge, but the progression surge with healing people is incredibly powerful. The fact that stormlight naturally heals you as well makes for a very strong combo.

Hmm, it's a huge toss-up between Skybreakers and Edgedancers. Flying is excellent, but it seems that friction could be used alot more discreetly and in a somewhat more versatile manner. But either way, the surge of destruction just sounds awesome.

As of this moment, there are currently three votes for Bondsmith.  All vacancies have been filled (in this universe)! ;)

It was a tough call between Lightweaver and Bondsmith for me.  I just ran through the coppermind entries to refresh my memory regarding what we know of each Order at present.  While something I'm very attracted to with regard to Lightweaving is something that Shallan at least does (she's helped a few people to reinvent themselves with the help of her lightweaving to be better people (as she sees)), I realized that this part of me yearns more toward bringing people together.  People being "better" individuals isn't necessary for unity, but often times those go hand in hand.  And at the heart of me, I more want people to be brought together.  If that part of my personality has any say, I'd probably be a Bondsmith before any other Order based on what we know now.

Uh. Tough one. My personality best fits the Elsecallers, and I wouldn't mind their Surges at all, though obviously none of the others are bad choices. I don't see myself as a Skybreaker though, not at all. Releaser / Dustbringer and Edgedancer are equally unlikely. 

Skybreakers are Windrunners but without a useless second Surge. Pressure sucks, Divison sounds great. Love Nalan's fashion sense, and Skybreakers might get cometspren which is adorable beyond words.

[nerd joke]Pressure doesn't suck; it pushes![/nerd joke]

I picked the Dustbringers (Releasers seems to be the term they prefer for themselves).

I'm looking forward to finding out what they can do. Though, I have a theory that it has to something to due with exothermic processes from using stormlight to sever the molecular bonds in a substance, "releasing" the bond energy stored within it (Not that I entirely know what what I'm talking about, been a long time since I studied this stuff.

tl,dr version: Insert stormlight into thunderclast, rocks start to breakdown into dust, big boom!

I picked the Dustbringers (Releasers seems to be the term they prefer for themselves).

I'm looking forward to finding out what they can do. Though, I have a theory that it has to something to due with exothermic processes from using stormlight to sever the molecular bonds in a substance, "releasing" the bond energy stored within it (Not that I entirely know what what I'm talking about, been a long time since I studied this stuff.

tl,dr version: Insert stormlight into thunderclast, rocks start to breakdown into dust, big boom!

That's a very reasonable theory. Which, disturbingly, would give them the ability to turn anything into a nuclear reactor...

• 2 months later...

I find it interesting that Edgedancers are the most common choice here. I had no idea they'd be so popular. I thought Windrunners would be the top pick.

I would have thought Elsecallers would have been the most common, mainly because they're clearly the best (I mean, because I'm biased in their direction). Of the attributes, it is my opinion that Elsecaller, Truthwatcher and Lightweaver fit me the best, though sometimes only tenuously.

I'd also like an order with Soulcasting so I can make metal to burn Allomantically (without having people on various planets asking me why I keep buying metal bars, and what I'm doing with them...) Can't Lurch without my Iron!

I would have thought Elsecallers would have been the most common, mainly because they're clearly the best (I mean, because I'm biased in their direction). Of the attributes, it is my opinion that Elsecaller, Truthwatcher and Lightweaver fit me the best, though sometimes only tenuously.

I agree that they're the best! Maybe. Most effective might be better phrasing? I don't know. I'm holding out hope for Willshapers being awesome. Being able to deform things from range almost surely leads to some awesome things (suddenly the enemy is encased in a cage of solid stone), even if it's not as effective as being able to Soulcast the air around someone to francium.

I wonder what the relative efficiency is - is it just as efficient to turn a wall to smoke as it is to deform it and make it topple over? I feel like Soulcasting needs to use more power in order to make it 'balanced' and not be the most effective Surge. I mean, this isn't game development, but it feels like maybe that should be the case?

Also, my original thought proved true: Windrunners are now the most popular choice, and Edgedancers have been left behind in the dust. I'd be interested in keeping a tally of the results for these polls as each novel comes out.

I wonder what the relative efficiency is - is it just as efficient to turn a wall to smoke as it is to deform it and make it topple over? I feel like Soulcasting needs to use more power in order to make it 'balanced' and not be the most effective Surge. I mean, this isn't game development, but it feels like maybe that should be the case?

I know what you mean... turn all their armor into acid... because the armor is solid and the acid is a liquid, the acid sprays everywhere, everyone's armor becomes an acid bomb. Ranged Soul-casting is brutal. Hell, it seems like Soul-casting would be a hard-counter to both Miles and the Lord Ruler.

Lord Ruler/Miles: I can regenerate from any injury! I am a god!

Jasnah: That's nice. You're now made of bat faeces.

Or whatever...

I know what you mean... turn all their armor into acid... because the armor is solid and the acid is a liquid, the acid sprays everywhere, everyone's armor becomes an acid bomb. Ranged Soul-casting is brutal. Hell, it seems like Soul-casting would be a hard-counter to both Miles and the Lord Ruler.

Lord Ruler/Miles: I can regenerate from any injury! I am a god!

Jasnah: That's nice. You're now made of bat faeces.

Or whatever...

SA3 spoilers:

It's even worse. You don't need to do a ranged Soulcasting - you can just physically enter Shadesmar and kill them and they can't see you doing it. You can just stick around in Shadesmar, picking out beads that are armor, and start exploding them. Soulcasting is horrifically powerful - it feels like it should have more weaknesses and limitations. Maybe it does have more, and that'll be explored?

SA3 spoilers:

It's even worse. You don't need to do a ranged Soulcasting - you can just physically enter Shadesmar and kill them and they can't see you doing it. You can just stick around in Shadesmar, picking out beads that are armor, and start exploding them. Soulcasting is horrifically powerful - it feels like it should have more weaknesses and limitations. Maybe it does have more, and that'll be explored?

From the Jasnah reading, right? Yeah... with enough Stormlight you're pretty much hacking the game and ruining it for everyone else. It probably should have more weaknesses and limitations, but I also kind of don't want it to, partly because I want to use it myself, but mostly because I want to see someone work out how to beat something so powerful. Maybe there's an aluminum-like hard counter that negates it or some such. Or maybe you can bribe the spren to prevent that kind of nonsense.

From the Jasnah reading, right? Yeah... with enough Stormlight you're pretty much hacking the game and ruining it for everyone else. It probably should have more weaknesses and limitations, but I also kind of don't want it to, partly because I want to use it myself, but mostly because I want to see someone work out how to beat something so powerful. Maybe there's an aluminum-like hard counter that negates it or some such. Or maybe you can bribe the spren to prevent that kind of nonsense.

I got from that reading that doing it like that is very, very dangerous.  If somebody starts feeling afraid, next thing you know, some grinders are bearing down on you.  Also, humans don't naturally know what to do.  So yeah, limits.

I would like to be a skybreaker. 

I really appreciate the idea of an order that respects the laws that men make for themselves as absolute. 

Too often, people believe that they should take things into their own hands, when they think that the justice that the law has dealt out is inadequate. And it's true - certainly there are times when the system does fail.

We've seen scenarios like this play out in real life - for example, take the Ferguson riots. In many such situations, especially when a lack of clear and unbiased information is involved, it's impossible to tell who is "right" and who is "wrong". Meting out "justice" based on intangible values is a dangerous thing. 

I'd also like to note that the Skybreaker philosophy is not merciless justice - if the law allows for mercy, then the Skybreakers will follow the law.

Of course, I wouldn't have wanted Kaladin to sit and rot as a bridgeman just because teaching Bridge Four to fight was (probably) against Alethkar law. I don't buy into Skybreaker philosophy completely, but I appreciate it. 

Also, Skybreakers have the best surges. The flying abilities of the Windrunners combined with the immense destructive potential of the Dustbringers? That sounds pretty solid to me. 

And I mean, who wouldn't want to hang with Szeth?