Was Gavilar Trying to Trap Odium in a Gemstone?

JohnnyKaizen

“Now, now,” he said. “I’m going to help you, Eshonai. Did you know, I’ve discovered how to bring your gods back?”

No. She hummed to the Rhythm of the Terrors. No . . .

“My ancestors,” he said, holding up the fabrial, “first learned how to hold a spren inside a gemstone. And with a very special gemstone, you can hold even a god.”

“Your Majesty,” she said, daring to take his hand in hers. He couldn’t feel the rhythms. He didn’t know. “Please. We no longer worship those gods. We left them, abandoned them.”

“Ah, but this is for your good, and for ours.” He stood up. “We live without honor, for your gods once brought ours. Without them, we have no power. This world is trapped, Eshonai! Stuck in a dull, lifeless state of transition.” He looked toward the ceiling. “Unite them. I need a threat. Only danger will unite them.” -From Oathbringer Prologue 

I am still pretty new here, but I have to start somewhere. I'm going back through the SA and came across this line of Gavilar's about trapping a god. He could simply referring to the unmade, but they've already been trapped before, and Gavilar isn't alone in his knowledge of this. But, Odium put out a hit on Gavilar. So, was he trying to trap Odium in a perfect gemstone? That would physically trap Odium and remove him from the board of the Cosmere. That to me, seems like a big enough threat to have a god want to have you killed Immediately. Thoughts?

I don't think so. He likely is talking about Unmade. Bear in mind that we know that Unmade can be taken off the board by trapping them in a gemstone, but that does not mean that this is common knowledge. Gavilar was experimenting with things that most had forgotten. To capture a god such as Odium is far more difficult than using a gemstone. If the unmade are the equivalent of a nuclear reactor then Odium is like a star. No simple stone could do it.

Fused are called Listeners and Singers gods, he was talking about them, and Eshonai even calls them as a plural form.

And it wasn't Odium that ordered to kill Gavilar. It was Nale actually. He gave Venli permission to kill him and information about Szeth. Eshonai, dreadful by Gavilar's will to bring Fused back, convinced The Five to do something about it, and with Velni information, they decided to kill him.

• 2 weeks later...