6 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Hmm I really need a name for this...something other than Liz, because this is Ien and Mari, not her. But same story. HmmMMmm... *shrugs* well, this scene scudding hurt to write for reasons none of you understand (or probably ever will lol) but enjoy your Liz-less Liz stuff!

Firsts:

Reveal hidden contents

He was on the ground, the first time she saw him. Collapsed in a puddle of blood. For a moment, Mari thought he was dead. She wouldn’t be surprised, in this dungeon…and then he looked up. He didn’t notice her or the guards holding her; he only had eyes for the woman at the front of their strange procession. 

“Liz,” he growled, pushing himself up so that he was sitting against the stone wall at the back of the cell.

The Lady of Darkness winked at him as one of the guards unlocked the cell next to him and threw Mari in. “Good to see you too, love.”

“I’m not–” He cut off, gagging and grabbing at his throat.

Liz smiled. “We can talk another time, darling.” Somehow, the word sounded like a threat. The boy heard it too, shivering. “Today, I’ve brought you a present.” Mari flushed, though out of anger or shame she wasn’t sure.

He glanced toward Mari for the first time, and his lip curled. “I thought you cared about slaves,” he said tauntingly, then broke down coughing. 

Liz tutted softly, like a mother to a petulant toddler. Mari, however, noted a strange hope in her eyes. Behind the calculation, the coldness…she cared about this prisoner. But it was gone in an instant. “She’s a healer,” Liz said coldly, spinning on her heel, the guards following. Mari watched them leave, saw them turn the corner and heard doors slam above. Finally, she turned to find the boy staring at her. “I-” she cut off, unsure what to say.

“Are you really a healer?” He asked, sounding weary. “Or are you just one more of her games?”

Mari blinked. “I…I’m a healer?”

“You don’t sound sure.” He’d closed his eyes. 

“I am,” Mari said. “And…you look like you need it.” He started to chuckle, then cut off into coughing again. Slowly, he pulled himself to the bars that separated their cells. “Right,” Mari said timidly, studying him. There was a ragged slash on his forehead. The blood had formed a thin crust in some places, but most of the cut still oozed. Head wounds could be dangerous…she reached into her pouch, pulling out a bundle of leaves. “Chew these.” He didn’t move to take them. She sighed. “Look, I don’t…I swear I’m not here to hurt you. You don’t have to if you don’t want to, but it looks like there’s going to be a whole lot of stitching to do, and by the spirits, if you scream or cry, I’ll scream or cry. And you don’t want that.” She stopped, realizing how much she was talking. “So. Um. Eat them?”

He watched her for a moment, then took the leaves. Mari relaxed, pulling out a rag and reaching through the bars to wipe off his face. “Why does she hate you?” She asked softly. He jerked away, wincing.

“I…”

“Sorry, sorry,” Mari said. “I didn’t mean…sorry.”

“It’s all right,” he said, smiling tightly. “Just…a difficult question.” He didn’t say anything else, and they fell into an uncomfortable silence as she cleaned his wound.

Then Mari pulled out her needle and gut. He winced. “I’m Mari,” she said hesitantly. It wasn’t a very subtle distraction, but it was still a distraction.

“Ien,” he said. “I’m sorry you’re here, Mari.”

She blinked, carefully beginning to stitch the cut. Ien winced. “It looks like you’ve had it much worse than me. Blame the Lady of Darkness, not yourself.”

A corner of his mouth twitched. “Did she give a reason for imprisoning you?” Ien asked.

Mari hesitated, thinking of what the Lady had told her… “No,” she said firmly. “Doesn’t matter to me, though. At least in here, I won’t starve.”

Ien’s head jerked up sharply, and Mari nearly poked his eye out. She gave him an annoyed look, but he didn’t notice. “What do you mean, starve?”

Mari blinked. “How…how long have you been here?”

“A few months? Maybe…maybe five?”

“Oh…” Mari snipped the thread, the cut closed neatly. “Where else are you hurt? There’s a lot of blood in there.”

He shook his head, leaning back from the bars. “No, none of that. Mari, what’s happening out there? What did Liz do?” Mari was silent, and Ien grabbed the bars between them. “Don’t just sit there, girl, what’s happening?” He shouted. Mari startled, stumbling back. Ien closed his eyes, took a long breath. “Sorry,” he said. “I…shouldn’t yell.”

“It’s okay,” she whispered, forcing a smile. He smiled back, though his eyes remained sad. It wasn’t okay, the same way her question hadn’t been okay, but…but that was all right. The silence had just begun to stretch when she abruptly opened her mouth and said, “She’s going to destroy the world.”

“What?” 

Mari flushed. “Not…well…not literally. But the people. She lives extravagantly, increases taxes, kills as she pleases. No one can fight her. The people are starving, but…but there’s nothing anyone can do.”

Ien squeezed his eyes shut, drawing in a ragged breath. He didn’t speak. Eventually, he turned and pulled off his shirt, revealing dozens of cuts along his back. Lashes. Silently, Mari sewed them up, put this boy back together. When she finished, Ien leaned against the wall. “Thank you,” he whispered. 

“I’m a healer,” she said, almost reflexively. “It’s what I do.”

heheheh

I like itttt

:>>

Edited by Just-A-Stick

Follow:

Spoiler

He looked up when they came in. 

“Hello,” one of them said. “How are you today?” He frowned. He didn’t recognize the one who had spoken. Was she new? It was rude to ask questions that couldn’t be answered. The other one motioned for the new one to be quiet.

“Allie, this is E94,” the other one, called Nik, said. “E94, I apologize for Allie’s rudeness. She’s never done this before,” he added, winking reassuringly. 

E94 nodded. Allie looked shocked. “What do you mean, rudeness–” E94 winced at the stranger’s tone. 

“Allie,” Nik said more firmly. “Hush.” She did. Then he turned to E94. “Open your mouth, please.” He did. 

Allie gasped. “What did you–what’s wrong with you people?” E94 cocked his head. She was rude. He didn’t like her. But he didn’t move. To move would also be rude, and even if she didn’t follow the rules, he would. 

Nik glared at her. “We can have this conversation another time, Allie. I have work to do.”

She glared back so fiercely, E94 feared that she would start yelling. Yelling wasn’t rude, but he didn’t like it. Luckily, she didn’t. She just shook her head, though E94 wasn’t sure why; no one had asked her a question. “He can’t even talk,” she said, pointing at E94. That was rude. He didn’t need to talk. It wasn’t his place. Why did she want him to be something he was not meant to be?

Nik didn’t answer. Instead, he began to open his case. E94 closed his eyes, as was proper.

“Are you serious?” Allie asked. “You don’t give them real names, you take away their ability to speak…and you train them, too? Like they’re dogs?” Her tone dripped with condescension and rage. E94 trembled. She was beyond rude, now. Now she had moved into frightening. Rudeness, breaking of procedure…those could be accepted, especially if she was new. She hadn’t learned what she was meant to do yet. But to keep blundering on…E94 tried to banish the fear. If he broke procedure, they would be very angry, and it was not right for him to make them angry. 

He felt a warm hand on his arm. Good. All was well. This newcomer was to be ignored, then. Perhaps…perhaps her rudeness was a new test. They gave him new tests, sometimes. He calmed himself with the thought. Yes, yes that was all this was. This Allie was being rude because they told her to, and so it was all right. Anything was all right, so long as they commanded it. 

The hand was replaced by something wet. A cloth. E94 realized what sort of day today would be, and tensed slightly. Nik felt it.

“Easy,” he murmured comfortingly. “This is your duty, remember, E94?”

He nodded.

Allie let out an angry huff of breath, then drew it all back in with a sharp gasp.

Not so sharp as the point that E94 felt on his arm, though. It dragged from his tricep all the way down to his wrist, agonizingly slow. Blood began to well up, and though he couldn’t see it, E94 knew that it was dripping into a clean little bottle. But he was calm, for this was procedure. This was as it was meant to be. 

“Isn’t that…needlessly cruel?” Allie asked. E94 tensed, not much but just enough that the sharp knife jerked deep into his forearm. He immediately bowed his head in apology, the sharp regret in his heart dwarfing the agony in his arm. After a moment, the pain in his arm spiked and then began to ease as the tool was pulled free. He didn’t move. He would need to be punished now. It was only proper.

“No,” Nik said. “And though you won’t believe it, this isn’t either.”

Then the knife pressed into the flesh in his heel. Rather than a clean cut, Nik stabbed deep into E94’s foot several times, the flesh hanging in ragged shreds, each cut going past bone. He clenched his jaw. If he made a sound, he would need to be punished again. Nik moved on to E94’s other foot, only stopping when each of his feet was more cuts than healthy skin. E94 would need to take care to be more careful in the future.

From the corner, there was the sound of retching. “You’re sick,” Allie said, her voice sounding raspier than it had before. 

“No,” Nik said calmly. “We are efficient.” There was the sound of his case snapping closed, and E94 opened his eyes. “Are you ready to go, E94?”

He nodded. There was no other answer, but it was routine. It was the rules. The rules were as it was meant to be. He stood up, careful not to react to the pain in his feet. It was not his place to react. It was not his place to feel.

Allie was standing next to a wet splatter on the floor. She looked…afraid? E94 felt bad for her, momentarily, before he remembered he was not to feel. Still…she knew so little of what her job was. If she was one of them, then she need not be afraid. Not because she wasn’t allowed to feel, but because she had no need to. And if she had no need to, it must not be done. E94 knew, had always known, that people must do what was required of them and no more. More was dangerous. More was rude. More would break routine. They must stay away from the mores that their hearts longed for; such things were not allowed, and would only bring punishments.

He silently followed Nik down the hallway, back to the room where the others who had the same place he did were stored.

All was as it should be.

“Now,” Nik said to Allie, “I need an answer. Will you be one of us, as is your place…or will you be one of them?”

Allie swallowed. Then again. "I'll join you," she whispered.

19 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Follow:

Reveal hidden contents

“Hello,” one of them said. “How are you today?” He frowned. He didn’t recognize the one who had spoken. Was she new? It was rude to ask questions that couldn’t be answered. The other one motioned for the new one to be quiet.

“Allie, this is E94,” the other one, called Nik, said. “E94, I apologize for Allie’s rudeness. She’s never done this before,” he added, winking reassuringly. 

E94 nodded. Allie looked shocked. “What do you mean, rudeness–” E94 winced at the stranger’s tone. 

“Allie,” Nik said more firmly. “Hush.” She did. Then he turned to E94. “Open your mouth, please.” He did. 

Allie gasped. “What did you–what’s wrong with you people?” E94 cocked his head. She was rude. He didn’t like her. But he didn’t move. To move would also be rude, and even if she didn’t follow the rules, he would. 

Nik glared at her. “We can have this conversation another time, Allie. I have work to do.”

She glared back so fiercely, E94 feared that she would start yelling. Yelling wasn’t rude, but he didn’t like it. Luckily, she didn’t. She just shook her head, though E94 wasn’t sure why; no one had asked her a question. “He can’t even talk,” she said, pointing at E94. That was rude. He didn’t need to talk. It wasn’t his place. Why did she want him to be something he was not meant to be?

Nik didn’t answer. Instead, he began to open his case. E94 closed his eyes, as was proper.

“Are you serious?” Allie asked. “You don’t give them real names, you take away their ability to speak…and you train them, too? Like they’re dogs?” Her tone dripped with condescension and rage. E94 trembled. She was beyond rude, now. Now she had moved into frightening. Rudeness, breaking of procedure…those could be accepted, especially if she was new. She hadn’t learned what she was meant to do yet. But to keep blundering on…E94 tried to banish the fear. If he broke procedure, they would be very angry, and it was not right for him to make them angry. 

He felt a warm hand on his arm. Good. All was well. This newcomer was to be ignored, then. Perhaps…perhaps her rudeness was a new test. They gave him new tests, sometimes. He calmed himself with the thought. Yes, yes that was all this was. This Allie was being rude because they told her to, and so it was all right. Anything was all right, so long as they commanded it. 

The hand was replaced by something wet. A cloth. E94 realized what sort of day today would be, and tensed slightly. Nik felt it.

He nodded.

Allie let out an angry huff of breath, then drew it all back in with a sharp gasp.

Not so sharp as the point that E94 felt on his arm, though. It dragged from his tricep all the way down to his wrist, agonizingly slow. Blood began to well up, and though he couldn’t see it, E94 knew that it was dripping into a clean little bottle. But he was calm, for this was procedure. This was as it was meant to be. 

“Isn’t that…needlessly cruel?” Allie asked. E94 tensed, not much but just enough that the sharp knife jerked deep into his forearm. He immediately bowed his head in apology, the sharp regret in his heart dwarfing the agony in his arm. After a moment, the pain in his arm spiked and then began to ease as the tool was pulled free. He didn’t move. He would need to be punished now. It was only proper.

Then the knife pressed into the flesh in his heel. Rather than a clean cut, Nik stabbed deep into E94’s foot several times, the flesh hanging in ragged shreds, each cut going past bone. He clenched his jaw. If he made a sound, he would need to be punished again. Nik moved on to E94’s other foot, only stopping when each of his feet was more cuts than healthy skin. E94 would need to take care to be more careful in the future.

From the corner, there was the sound of retching. “You’re sick,” Allie said, her voice sounding raspier than it had before. 

“No,” Nik said calmly. “We are efficient.” There was the sound of his case snapping closed, and E94 opened his eyes. “Are you ready to go, E94?”

He nodded. There was no other answer, but it was routine. It was the rules. The rules were as it was meant to be. He stood up, careful not to react to the pain in his feet. It was not his place to react. It was not his place to feel.

Allie was standing next to a wet splatter on the floor. She looked…afraid? E94 felt bad for her, momentarily, before he remembered he was not to feel. Still…she knew so little of what her job was. If she was one of them, then she need not be afraid. Not because she wasn’t allowed to feel, but because she had no need to. And if she had no need to, it must not be done. E94 knew, had always known, that people must do what was required of them and no more. More was dangerous. More was rude. More would break routine. They must stay away from the mores that their hearts longed for; such things were not allowed, and would only bring punishments.

He silently followed Nik down the hallway, back to the room where the others who had the same place he did were stored.

All was as it should be.

“Now,” Nik said to Allie, “I need an answer. Will you be one of us, as is your place…or will you be one of them?”

that was... unusal. i liked it in an odd way. could you explain a bit of the background worldbuilding?

51 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

that was... unusal. i liked it in an odd way. could you explain a bit of the background worldbuilding?

…I could, if I had any :P (sorry, I’m 100% a pantser)

I…the prompt was to write about a character who’s been experimented on for their entire life, if that helps. I could make up more, but honestly that’s about all I had while writing it. 

20 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Follow:

Hide contents

He nodded.

All was as it should be.

That was scary, in a good way though.

4 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

…I could, if I had any :P (sorry, I’m 100% a pantser)

I…the prompt was to write about a character who’s been experimented on for their entire life, if that helps. I could make up more, but honestly that’s about all I had while writing it. 

fair enough. that makes sence about the experementing

4 hours ago, Weaver of Lights said:

That was scary, in a good way though.

i have to agree

Ok so...remember my American Wars class? This is my journal for the war of 1812, sometimes called the forgotten war. (it's short because my teacher won't let us go over a page).

TW: rape, death, gun violence, um...yeah?

Spoiler

September 14th, 1814

This is my Mama’s journal.

Was.

This was my Mama’s journal.

I guess it’s mine now.

I….I don’t really remember very much about that night. Everything was burning, and then the soldiers were rushing through the darkness, and there was screaming, and I was screaming, and…and they shot Papa. Right there, right in our house. His blood splattered out of his skull and got all over my dress, all over me. I haven’t washed the dress.

Because if I wash it, I’ll be cleaning myself of all that’s left of him. 

Mama screamed when she saw it. Papa told us all to hide when he saw the soldiers, and we did, but then they shot him and Mama screamed. And then they came into the house, looking desperate and excited. I couldn’t move. Lilly was sitting next to me and she was crying, and I was crying, and I felt something warm and wet spread under us and I knew that she had peed herself, or maybe I had. I wasn’t sure.

I don’t think I’ll ever forget the way he looked at Mama when they found her. His face was covered in blood, and when he smiled it dripped from his teeth. He spat on the floor, only a few feet away from the bed that Lily and I were hiding under. He licked his lips and said, “Aren’t you just beautiful?” Papa called Mama beautiful all the time. He said that she was the prettiest creature who ever lived. But when this soldier said it, it sounded different. It sounded like he was insulting her…he grabbed her, and she screamed louder.

The other soldiers left, and then it was just the one holding Mama. He pushed her onto the bed, and the wet patch underneath me and Lilly got bigger. I don’t know how long we stayed there. We didn’t move, couldn’t move. Eventually, when the smoke was so thick we could barely see, the soldier left. I climbed out from under the bed, pulling Lilly behind me. Mama was dead. I knew she was dead the second I saw her. So I grabbed this journal in one hand, Lilly in the other, and I ran. I stumbled on until I saw people I recognized, old Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey from next door. I was still crying, and without a word they picked us up and put us in their wagon. 

I fell asleep, then. When I woke up, Mrs. Jeffrey told me they would take us with them to Baltimore. She said it would be safe in Baltimore. But now we’re here, and it isn’t safe. I can hear crashes everywhere. There’s screaming and gunshots outside, and all I can do is hide. Mama’s gone. Papa’s gone. All I have left is Lilly. 

How long before they take her too?

How long before the screaming comes into this house?

I wish they’d found me instead of Mama. I wish I was the one who was dead, because then Lilly would be safe and I wouldn’t have to be here.

There’s another cannonball.

And another.

How long?

How long will I have to wait, and wonder? 

Is this the one that will kill me? I think that every time I hear the blast. Will it be this time? Is this the one that will end me?

I hope it comes soon.

1 minute ago, Edema Rue said:

Ok so...remember my American Wars class? This is my journal for the war of 1812, sometimes called the forgotten war. (it's short because my teacher won't let us go over a page).

Hide contents

September 14th, 1814

Was.

I guess it’s mine now.

I….I don’t really remember very much about that night. Everything was burning, and then the soldiers were rushing through the darkness, and there was screaming, and I was screaming, and…and they shot Papa. Right there, right in our house. His blood splattered out of his skull and got all over my dress, all over me. I haven’t washed the dress.

Mama screamed when she saw it. Papa told us all to hide when he saw the soldiers, and we did, but then they shot him and Mama screamed. And then they came into the house, looking desperate and excited. I couldn’t move. Lilly was sitting next to me and she was crying, and I was crying, and I felt something warm and wet spread under us and I knew that she had peed herself, or maybe I had. I wasn’t sure.

I don’t think I’ll ever forget the way he looked at Mama when they found her. His face was covered in blood, and when he smiled it dripped from his teeth. He spat on the floor, only a few feet away from the bed that Lily and I were hiding under. He licked his lips and said, “Aren’t you just beautiful?” Papa called Mama beautiful all the time. He said that she was the prettiest creature who ever lived. But when this soldier said it, it sounded different. It sounded like he was insulting her…he grabbed her, and she screamed louder.

The other soldiers left, and then it was just the one holding Mama. He pushed her onto the bed, and the wet patch underneath me and Lilly got bigger. I don’t know how long we stayed there. We didn’t move, couldn’t move. Eventually, when the smoke was so thick we could barely see, the soldier left. I climbed out from under the bed, pulling Lilly behind me. Mama was dead. I knew she was dead the second I saw her. So I grabbed this journal in one hand, Lilly in the other, and I ran. I stumbled on until I saw people I recognized, old Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey from next door. I was still crying, and without a word they picked us up and put us in their wagon. 

I fell asleep, then. When I woke up, Mrs. Jeffrey told me they would take us with them to Baltimore. She said it would be safe in Baltimore. But now we’re here, and it isn’t safe. I can hear crashes everywhere. There’s screaming and gunshots outside, and all I can do is hide. Mama’s gone. Papa’s gone. All I have left is Lilly. 

I wish they’d found me instead of Mama. I wish I was the one who was dead, because then Lilly would be safe and I wouldn’t have to be here.

And another.

How long?

Is this the one that will kill me? I think that every time I hear the blast. Will it be this time? Is this the one that will end me?

I hope it comes soon.

Absolutely horrifying and incredible.

1 hour ago, Edema Rue said:

Reveal hidden contents

September 14th, 1814

Was.

I guess it’s mine now.

And another.

How long?

I hope it comes soon.

absolutely horrifying. i loved it.

17 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

September 14th, 1814

Was.

I guess it’s mine now.

And another.

How long?

I hope it comes soon.

15 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

We’ll see what my teacher says…

It‘ll be fine he reads good books :)

he might need to be to not get horrified at this. love your amazing work as always. 

@The Wandering Wizard @Weaver of Lights 👀 

Bet:

Spoiler

“Lizzy?”

Liz blinked. The voice was too loud for this late at night. “Hmm?” She mumbled.

“Our year’s almost up, Lizzy.”

Liz sat up, looking over at Siylna. She was lying on her back, looking up at the ceiling. “Three months,” Liz said quietly.

“Two weeks.”

“Four days.” Liz paused. “Ien gets three more years.”

“Would you stay here that long, if you could?” Siylna sounded…curious? Fully awake now, Liz shook her head, knowing her friend couldn’t see.

“I don’t know, Si,” she said. “Would you?”

“Yes,” Siylna said fervently. “Yes, Lizzy, I would. Because if I could stay that long, I’d be nobility. And then I could go out into the world, and my life would mean something.”

There was quiet, and for a moment Liz wondered if Siylna had fallen asleep. “So what do we do now?” She whispered, not expecting an answer.

“I don’t know,” Siylna said. “But it needs to mean something. Whatever we do, we can’t let ourselves be forgotten.”

“We won’t,” Liz said. “I swear it. We won’t.”

“We could change the world,” Siylna murmured sleepily.

Liz sat up sharply. “Si.”

“Mm?”

“After our year ends…you have no plans? None?”

Siylna sat up too, perhaps hearing the urgency in Liz’s voice. “You know I have no home, no family. The best I can hope for is to marry a merchant.”

“Unless…”

“Unless?”

Liz grinned into the darkness. “That’s freedom, Si. That’s something people like Ien can only imagine…so let’s do it.”

Siylna yawned. “Lizzy. Darling. I’ve known you long enough to know that you mean it. But…seriously?”

“Sure,” Liz said, a faint twinkle in her eye. “And, just for fun…why not make it a bet?”

Siylna laughed. Liz threw a pillow at her. “Never a quiet moment with you, is there, Lizzy.”

Liz shrugged. “What, quiet? Sounds boring…”

Siylna through the pillow back. “Fine. And what are you betting, my dear?”

Liz pondered for a long moment. “I bet…” she said. “I bet that, using a hero of my choice, I can change Arania into paradise as we’ve always imagined it.”

Siylna was quiet. “And how is that, specifically?”

“No slaves,” Liz said immediately. “Peasants can spend more than a year at the Academy, and the brightest will be provided for. And there’ll be a benevolent ruler.”

Siylna was quiet again. “I get to choose your hero.”

Liz felt her heart pounding, felt a smile creeping up on her. “Those aren’t very good odds, Si.”

Siylna snorted. “You haven’t heard what I’m betting yet.”

“Oh do tell, then.” Liz tried, unsuccessfully, to keep from giggling. 

“I bet,” Siylna murmured, “that I can improve more lives than your hero, all on my own.”

Liz frowned. “But what if we both succeed? Who wins?”

“Lizzy…you know that…this bet…”

“Yes?” 

“It can’t end until one of us–or your hero–dies.”

Liz shivered, feeling a sudden thrill of terror, or perhaps excitement. “So…the winner…will be decided by the gods. Paradise for the winner, and for the loser...” Both girls were quiet for a long, long time. But neither was in danger of falling asleep. This bet…this was a promise. A promise that Liz’s life didn’t end here. That after she was done at the Academy, she wouldn’t go home. She wouldn’t fade to nothing. “Quite a bet,” she finally said.

“Quite a bet,” Siylna agreed. “But…we’re doing it?”

“We’re doing it.”

Siylna laughed, and Liz could almost hear the smile in her voice. “Lizzy, Lizzy, Lizzy…we’re never going to live quiet little lives, are we?”

“Do you even need to ask?”

“No,” Siylna murmured. “No, I suppose I don’t.”

Liz lay back down, though she knew she wouldn’t be sleeping. Suddenly, a thought occurred to her. “When will you choose?”

“Choose?”

“My hero.” This person would, after all, determine just how long Liz’s odds were…and Siylna had never been the type to go easy—or even fair—on her opponent. There was a quiet laugh from the corner. Siylna sounded almost somber. “Si?”

“Lizzy…I’ve already chosen.”

And?” Liz asked, contemplating throwing her pillow at her. 

“Ien.”

What?” But even as she said it, Liz felt the color draining from her face. Of course…

“It’s not so cruel as it seems,” Siylna said quickly. “If you let him live the life they’ve planned for him, you’ll lose him. So make him your hero, and he’ll be with you for the rest of your life.”

Liz shivered. It shattered her heart; to make a hero, you had to break them. Ien would hurt. And yet, even as she ached at the pain she knew he’d feel, she was planning. Perhaps Siylna didn’t realize it, but letting her use Ien was a strange blessing. Because she knew him. She knew how to build him up. 

And she knew exactly how to break him. 

Spoiler

So this is a very VERY rough draft. Any and all feedback is very appreciated!! I’ll definitely be rewriting this multiple times. 

5 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Bet:

Hide contents

“Lizzy?”

Liz sat up, looking over at Siylna. She was lying on her back, looking up at the ceiling. “Three months,” Liz said quietly.

“Two weeks.”

“Would you stay here that long, if you could?” Siylna sounded…curious? Fully awake now, Liz shook her head, knowing her friend couldn’t see.

“Yes,” Siylna said fervently. “Yes, Lizzy, I would. Because if I could stay that long, I’d be nobility. And then I could go out into the world, and my life would mean something.”

There was quiet, and for a moment Liz wondered if Siylna had fallen asleep. “So what do we do now?” She whispered, not expecting an answer.

“I don’t know,” Siylna said. “But it needs to mean something. Whatever we do, we can’t let ourselves be forgotten.”

“Mm?”

Siylna sat up too, perhaps hearing the urgency in Liz’s voice. “You know I have no home, no family. The best I can hope for is to marry a merchant.”

“Unless…”

“Unless?”

Liz grinned into the darkness. “That’s freedom, Si. That’s something people like Ien can only imagine…so let’s do it.”

Siylna yawned. “Lizzy. Darling. I’ve known you long enough to know that you mean it. But…seriously?”

“Sure,” Liz said, a faint twinkle in her eye. “And, just for fun…why not make it a bet?”

Siylna laughed. Liz threw a pillow at her. “Never a quiet moment with you, is there, Lizzy.”

Liz pondered for a long moment. “I bet…” she said. “I bet that, using a hero of my choice, I can change Arania into paradise as we’ve always imagined it.”

“No slaves,” Liz said immediately. “Peasants can spend more than a year at the Academy, and the brightest will be provided for. And there’ll be a benevolent ruler.”

Liz felt her heart pounding, felt a smile creeping up on her. “Those aren’t very good odds, Si.”

“I bet,” Siylna murmured, “that I can improve more lives than your hero, all on my own.”

“Yes?” 

Liz shivered, feeling a sudden thrill of terror, or perhaps excitement. “So…the winner…will be decided by the gods. Paradise for the winner, and for the loser...” Both girls were quiet for a long, long time. But neither was in danger of falling asleep. This bet…this was a promise. A promise that Liz’s life didn’t end here. That after she was done at the Academy, she wouldn’t go home. She wouldn’t fade to nothing. “Quite a bet,” she finally said.

“We’re doing it.”

Siylna laughed, and Liz could almost hear the smile in her voice. “Lizzy, Lizzy, Lizzy…we’re never going to live quiet little lives, are we?”

Liz lay back down, though she knew she wouldn’t be sleeping. Suddenly, a thought occurred to her. “When will you choose?”

“Choose?”

“My hero.” This person would, after all, determine just how long Liz’s odds were…and Siylna had never been the type to go easy—or even fair—on her opponent. There was a quiet laugh from the corner. Siylna sounded almost somber. “Si?”

“Ien.”

What?” But even as she said it, Liz felt the color draining from her face. Of course…

“It’s not so cruel as it seems,” Siylna said quickly. “If you let him live the life they’ve planned for him, you’ll lose him. So make him your hero, and he’ll be with you for the rest of your life.”

Liz shivered. It shattered her heart; to make a hero, you had to break them. Ien would hurt. And yet, even as she ached at the pain she knew he’d feel, she was planning. Perhaps Siylna didn’t realize it, but letting her use Ien was a strange blessing. Because she knew him. She knew how to build him up. 

Reveal hidden contents

So this is a very VERY rough draft. Any and all feedback is very appreciated!! I’ll definitely be rewriting this multiple times. 

Not at all the bet I imagined, and yet so much better than what I had imagined. Say something back so I can give you more rep for this.

17 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Bet:

Hide contents

“Lizzy?”

“Two weeks.”

“Mm?”

“Unless…”

“Unless?”

“Yes?” 

“We’re doing it.”

“Choose?”

“Ien.”

Hide contents

Agree with Lightweaver this is amazing and not what I expected and you need more rep for it :3

23 minutes ago, Weaver of Lights said:

Not at all the bet I imagined, and yet so much better than what I had imagined. Say something back so I can give you more rep for this.

xD thank you so much, I might change the wording at some point but for now I’m ok with it. 

12 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Agree with Lightweaver this is amazing and not what I expected and you need more rep for it :3

Heehee thanks Wizzle

40 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Bet:

Reveal hidden contents

“Lizzy?”

“Two weeks.”

“Mm?”

“Unless…”

“Unless?”

“Yes?” 

“We’re doing it.”

“Choose?”

“Ien.”

Reveal hidden contents

Geez this is phenomenal. I’m already invested and hooked!

1 minute ago, Cash67 said:

Geez this is phenomenal. I’m already invested and hooked!

Thanks!!

Ok actually I was just reminded of the other Liz thing I wrote today (I have an app called daily prompt, I try to write every day and this one turned into Liz) it’s not as exciting and wouldn’t ever appear in the real book, but it was fun to explore this side, and it gave me ideas for Siylna’s magic… >:3

The prompt was to write a character becoming unhealthily obsessed with something.

So uh if you want more words, here’s Lady: (sorry Wiz I know you’re red)

Spoiler

I didn't mean to fall in love with her.

I didn't fall in love with her.

I was...studying her. That's all. I was curious. After all, I was the one who recruited her. I was just watched the progress of the most talented acolyte of Death I had ever seen. Because she was talented. Even without our training, she may have become an assassin. And yet... and yet she wasn't one, not at first. She was a dreamer.

"You will join us," I told her, as I told all the recruits. "You have been selected to strengthen this order. You may choose to pledge yourself to Lord Marsvall, or you will be...convinced."

"Okay." She smiled at me. There was no reason for her to smile, no reason for her to agree, and yet she did. "I'm Liz," she said, starting to lift a hand as if to offer a handshake, then remembering she was in chains.

I ran, then. No, I strategically retreated. She had to be a spy. There was no other explanation. But...her eyes were so warm. They were so alive. Life isn't something you see often, in my profession, and so she intrigued me. But that's all it was. A fascination with the strange novelty that called itself Liz.

The next time I saw her, that spark of life was gone. She was one of us. She served Death, was an instrument in His hands. But somehow.. in our world of darkness, she still glowed.

She made a bet. She was rather fond of bets. But the odds were absurd.

"Fight me," she said, eyes twinkling. "I bet 30 gold marks that none of you can beat me." Any of us should have been able to beat her, especially once she started to tire. But it was Liz. I'd beat her once before, when we were capturing (or, as our Lord put it, recruiting) her. I knew her tricks, knew how she fought...but she'd changed.

She didn't swing her axe like a brute, she twisted daggers from sheaths even I hadn't detected. And she laughed.

"Scared?" She crooned. "What, of me? Your newest trainee?" Ilost.

After that, I didn't see her often; I had my jobs, she had hers. Thoughts of her should have faded.

But they didn't. I wanted her. Each time I killed, I wondered how she would have done it. Every time I felt Death's cool eyes, watching me from Above, I wished they were hers. I wanted to fight with her. I wanted to stand at her back, to be her partner.

She filled my waking moments, and dreams of her replaced the tide of red that had characterized my sleep. But I didn't truly see her again until she was Empress.

She killed the king, at our Lord's request... then killed our Lord and became our Lady. I was one of the first to bow to her. Of course I was.

She was my Lady, and always had been. My only shame was that it had taken me so long to realize it. I was the first, and she rewarded me with a smile. So I kept being the first. When others refused to worship this new goddess, I was the first to spill their blood. When she was less than satisfied, I finished the jobs. I would do anything for my Lady. None were fool enough to attack her, but if any had been...I'd have given myself to Death without a thought. Surely even He would not dare claim her too soon.

Her beautiful eyes were cold, now. Nothing about her glittered, or shone, or twinkled. She was cool and harsh and utterly deadly. She slunk about at night, and we followed, cloaks fluttering, knives silent. She was our Lady of Darkness, and we were Her fanatical followers. It was a pleasure to spill blood for our Lady.

In the city, they mocked Her. They swore to take vengeance on Her. They hated Her.

I taught them to fear Her.

The Lady of Darkness ruled from a throne of bones, held together with stringy gore and stained with blood.

Her will was my command. As She spoke, so I did. So we all did.

For She was the Lady, and I was Her Lieutenant.

Is there any greater pleasure than serving a Goddess?

1 hour ago, Edema Rue said:

Bet:

Hide contents

“Lizzy?”

“Two weeks.”

“Mm?”

“Unless…”

“Unless?”

“Yes?” 

“We’re doing it.”

“Choose?”

“Ien.”

Hide contents

wonderful. was not expecting that to be the bet. cant wait to see how it relates to the rest of your works. keep up the 

25 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Thanks!!

Ok actually I was just reminded of the other Liz thing I wrote today (I have an app called daily prompt, I try to write every day and this one turned into Liz) it’s not as exciting and wouldn’t ever appear in the real book, but it was fun to explore this side, and it gave me ideas for Siylna’s magic… >:3

The prompt was to write a character becoming unhealthily obsessed with something.

Hide contents

I was...studying her. That's all. I was curious. After all, I was the one who recruited her. I was just watched the progress of the most talented acolyte of Death I had ever seen. Because she was talented. Even without our training, she may have become an assassin. And yet... and yet she wasn't one, not at first. She was a dreamer.

"You will join us," I told her, as I told all the recruits. "You have been selected to strengthen this order. You may choose to pledge yourself to Lord Marsvall, or you will be...convinced."

"Okay." She smiled at me. There was no reason for her to smile, no reason for her to agree, and yet she did. "I'm Liz," she said, starting to lift a hand as if to offer a handshake, then remembering she was in chains.

I ran, then. No, I strategically retreated. She had to be a spy. There was no other explanation. But...her eyes were so warm. They were so alive. Life isn't something you see often, in my profession, and so she intrigued me. But that's all it was. A fascination with the strange novelty that called itself Liz.

The next time I saw her, that spark of life was gone. She was one of us. She served Death, was an instrument in His hands. But somehow.. in our world of darkness, she still glowed.

"Fight me," she said, eyes twinkling. "I bet 30 gold marks that none of you can beat me." Any of us should have been able to beat her, especially once she started to tire. But it was Liz. I'd beat her once before, when we were capturing (or, as our Lord put it, recruiting) her. I knew her tricks, knew how she fought...but she'd changed.

She didn't swing her axe like a brute, she twisted daggers from sheaths even I hadn't detected. And she laughed.

After that, I didn't see her often; I had my jobs, she had hers. Thoughts of her should have faded.

But they didn't. I wanted her. Each time I killed, I wondered how she would have done it. Every time I felt Death's cool eyes, watching me from Above, I wished they were hers. I wanted to fight with her. I wanted to stand at her back, to be her partner.

She filled my waking moments, and dreams of her replaced the tide of red that had characterized my sleep. But I didn't truly see her again until she was Empress.

She killed the king, at our Lord's request... then killed our Lord and became our Lady. I was one of the first to bow to her. Of course I was.

She was my Lady, and always had been. My only shame was that it had taken me so long to realize it. I was the first, and she rewarded me with a smile. So I kept being the first. When others refused to worship this new goddess, I was the first to spill their blood. When she was less than satisfied, I finished the jobs. I would do anything for my Lady. None were fool enough to attack her, but if any had been...I'd have given myself to Death without a thought. Surely even He would not dare claim her too soon.

Her beautiful eyes were cold, now. Nothing about her glittered, or shone, or twinkled. She was cool and harsh and utterly deadly. She slunk about at night, and we followed, cloaks fluttering, knives silent. She was our Lady of Darkness, and we were Her fanatical followers. It was a pleasure to spill blood for our Lady.

In the city, they mocked Her. They swore to take vengeance on Her. They hated Her.

The Lady of Darkness ruled from a throne of bones, held together with stringy gore and stained with blood.

oooh. i liked that one

48 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Thanks!!

Hide contents

I love it!

On 3/5/2024 at 1:01 AM, Edema Rue said:

Follow:

Reveal hidden contents

He nodded.

All was as it should be.

The fact that the bottoms of my feet started tingling-

On 3/6/2024 at 12:01 PM, Edema Rue said:

Reveal hidden contents

September 14th, 1814

Was.

I guess it’s mine now.

And another.

How long?

I hope it comes soon.

ooohhhh....

32 minutes ago, Just-A-Stick said:

The fact that the bottoms of my feet started tingling-

ooohhhh....

*winces* I once impaled my foot on a rake, so...mine too.

Heehee thanks?

The prompt for this one was to write a poem based on a tarot card of your choice. It turned out a lot better than I was expecting, I like it!

Welcome:

Spoiler

The Devil took a trip to the world of men,

A delightful journey to satisfy his lusts.

Upon arrival,

He claimed a charming face, 

And put it over his own.

He flashed each mortal a wink, 

And pulled them into his arms.

"Welcome!" He cried,

As he pulled them close.

"Welcome," he murmured,

As they fell in love.

"Welcome," he whispered,

As he reached for their hearts.

A girl moaned with pleasure 

At his practiced touch.

He threaded a needle, 

And jabbed her tender heart.

Taking hold of the thread he pulled, 

And she danced.

And by the time her pleasure faded, 

He was lost in the crowd.

He found lonely mortals;

He tousled their hair 

And tasted their lips.

His fingers were cold,

His tongue colder,

And his heart coldest of all.

He slipped needles of ivory bone

Into dozens of hearts.

He masqueraded as a lover, 

Pocketing a full cast of puppets.

"Welcome," he crooned.

"Welcome," he taunted.

"Welcome," he sneered.

He pulled at their strings, 

Feasting on the screams.

He laughed, 

As they wept, 

And applauded, 

As they danced.

And when the puppets bored him, 

He'd yank a string too hard, 

And a heart would break free of a corpse.

He'd bite down, 

And laugh louder

As blood dripped from his chin.

And played at being a puppeteer.

And found it quite to his liking.

And found a feast awaiting him.

"Welcome."

On 3/10/2024 at 2:31 PM, Edema Rue said:

The prompt for this one was to write a poem based on a tarot card of your choice. It turned out a lot better than I was expecting, I like it!

Welcome:

Hide contents

A delightful journey to satisfy his lusts.

Upon arrival,

He claimed a charming face, 

And put it over his own.

He flashed each mortal a wink, 

And pulled them into his arms.

"Welcome!" He cried,

As he pulled them close.

"Welcome," he murmured,

As they fell in love.

"Welcome," he whispered,

As he reached for their hearts.

A girl moaned with pleasure 

At his practiced touch.

He threaded a needle, 

And jabbed her tender heart.

Taking hold of the thread he pulled, 

And she danced.

And by the time her pleasure faded, 

He was lost in the crowd.

He found lonely mortals;

He tousled their hair 

And tasted their lips.

His fingers were cold,

His tongue colder,

And his heart coldest of all.

He slipped needles of ivory bone

Into dozens of hearts.

He masqueraded as a lover, 

Pocketing a full cast of puppets.

"Welcome," he crooned.

"Welcome," he taunted.

"Welcome," he sneered.

He pulled at their strings, 

Feasting on the screams.

He laughed, 

As they wept, 

And applauded, 

As they danced.

And when the puppets bored him, 

He'd yank a string too hard, 

And a heart would break free of a corpse.

He'd bite down, 

And laugh louder

As blood dripped from his chin.

And played at being a puppeteer.

And found it quite to his liking.

And found a feast awaiting him.

"Welcome."

oh wow. i liked that. i dont normally enjoy poetry but that was something else