Possible Jasnah novella

lacrossedeamon

So I was listening to the Cosmere Conversations podcast and they apparently heard from another fan who heard from Dan at a con (take with a grain of salt for the number of telephone steps) that on top of working on his own main project he is helping out on a Lopen novella (which I assume is King Lopen the First) but also on a Jasnah novella. I find this super interesting. Really curious about both plot and title. I think just calling it Elsecaller could work and fits the theme of Lift’s novella’s title (while also kinda fitting the theme of Rock’s and Rysn’s, not Lopen’s however but he is the Lopen so that makes sense). As for plot I think it could be the whole journey through Shadesmar after escaping the assassination (including that one scene Brandon already released) all the way up until she meets with Wit.

I mean, Brandon already wrote one, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's having Dan revise it for publication.

Spoiler

WeiryWriter

What are your current plans with regards to the Jasnah novella you wrote last summer?

Brandon Sanderson

Jasnah Novella is for my eyes only, unfortunately. It was needed so I could work out mechanics of what was happening, but I don't like releasing it for various reasons.

Footnote: The following scene is from the novella in question: https://www.tor.com/2014/08/06/stormlight-archive-scene-after-words-of-radiance/
/r/books AMA 2015 (May 20, 2015)

1 hour ago, lacrossedeamon said:

As for plot I think it could be the whole journey through Shadesmar after escaping the assassination (including that one scene Brandon already released) all the way up until she meets with Wit.

This would be my guess and honestly I'd love to read it from her POV.  I have always liked Jasnah and want to see more from her POV. She is one of the last books so a novella before would be awesome! 

It would likely be something we’ve seen hinted at before, like her Shadesmar journey. Jasnah is a great character, but after WoK, we don’t see too much of her. Her story is planned to be Book 10, so Brandon would likely only give more and more hints before he drops the big reveal of her past at the end of the back half of the series. 

3 hours ago, Frustration said:

I mean, Brandon already wrote one, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's having Dan revise it for publication.

Reveal hidden contents

WeiryWriter

What are your current plans with regards to the Jasnah novella you wrote last summer?

Brandon Sanderson

Jasnah Novella is for my eyes only, unfortunately. It was needed so I could work out mechanics of what was happening, but I don't like releasing it for various reasons.

Footnote: The following scene is from the novella in question: https://www.tor.com/2014/08/06/stormlight-archive-scene-after-words-of-radiance/

Correct me if I'm wrong (looking it up on Arcanum on my phone is a pain) but the novel is about Jasnah and Ivory's journey through Shadesmar during the events of Words of Radiance.

7 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (looking it up on Arcanum on my phone is a pain) but the novel is about Jasnah and Ivory's journey through Shadesmar during the events of Words of Radiance.

I believe so, but I cannot find the specific WoB that mentions it.

9 hours ago, Frustration said:

Reveal hidden contents

WeiryWriter

Brandon Sanderson

Oh. I knew about the scene but didn't know he had done full novella around it already. So yeah Dan is probably reworking this to mitigate whatever those reasons Brandon mentioned. But yeah hoping its the Shadesmar journey. I feel we didn't spend enough time there in RoW.