Pushing on Shardblades

Frustration

So most time pushing on Shardblades comes up this WoB is brought in at some point

Spoiler

Questioner

Would Allomancy affect Shardplate or Shardblades?

Brandon Sanderson

It cannot affected Shardblades. Well, "cannot" is a strong word. Things with innate investiture are much more difficult to affect with any of the magics at all. Which is why it's very hard, for instance-- Szeth is not able to bind people, or Lash people wearing Shardplate to the ceiling. In the same Allomancy would not be able to Push on it without some help. Duralumin and a really strong [Steel]Push could probably do it. 

Questioner

I was just wondering if it's actually metal.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh yes. It is metal-ish... it is metal enough for Allomancy to work on it.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/161/#e6927

That says duralumin, and a strong push could probably do it.

However, there are some problems with basing our understanding off of that. The first is that duralumin's power is proportional to the amount of the other metal available. And the second is the word 'probably'

But today, I found a newer WoB

Spoiler

Questioner

Are Shardblades Allomantically pushable?

Brandon Sanderson

By someone who has more power than anyone you've seen so far, yes.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/90/#e5258

That says that it would be beyond the power of anyone we have seen.

So TLR couldn't push on Shardblades, which is just wild to me.

4 hours ago, Frustration said:
  Hide contents

Questioner

Are Shardblades Allomantically pushable?

Brandon Sanderson

By someone who has more power than anyone you've seen so far, yes.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/90/#e5258

That says that it would be beyond the power of anyone we have seen.

So TLR couldn't push on Shardblades, which is just wild to me.

Interesting!
And since this is after BoM was released, holder of Bands of Mourning also would not be able to push on Shardblades.
Technically Vin on Mists would also be unable to do so, though that one feels even wilder to me.

32 minutes ago, alder24 said:

What is even wilder is that Vin, during her Ascension, after almost fully merging with the Mists, would also be unable to push on Shardblades.

I would think that Vin in the process of Ascending would be an exception, just like when Vin was holding the power of Well of Ascension.
In one case she was becoming a Shard, and in the other held a fraction of the power of Shard (enough to move planet!).

So I would expect those to be just exceptions that slipped his mind (being quite special cases).

Yeah, I think he's going by natural talent, because Vin with the Well could do it

Spoiler

Trae Cooper (paraphrased)

Why are Invested objects like metalminds and Hemalurgic spikes able to be Pushed and Pulled on, but Shardblades and Shardplate, which are also invested, are not susceptible to Pushing and Pulling?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There were a few concepts that he outlined in answering this question.

1.) The ability to Push/Pull an Invested object is predicated to the amount/power of the Investiture.

2.) Further, Invested objects also gain resistance to pulling/pushing based on proximity to soul possibly via the soul. An example given is that a Hemalurgic spike touches the blood of the person, and from there is now part of both the Spiritual Realm and the Physical Realm. This provides what Brandon termed a kind of "soul interference," based on its proximity to the soul.

This further explains why Vin required more than normal power to Push/Pull the metalminds from the Lord Ruler, because of their proximity to his soul, via the Spiritual Realm.

3.) The amount of Investiture is relatively low on Scadrial, whereas worlds like Sel and Roshar are pushing around "high power" according to Brandon. I interpreted this to mean that Hemalurgic spikes and metalminds have low amounts of Investiture compared to Shardplate and Shardblades.

Brandon said that theoretically you can Push/Pull Shardblades and Shardplates but you would need to wield an incredible amount of power. One example he gave that could so such as a thing is that if you were a Mistborn wielding the full power of the Well of Ascension, you could Push/Pull Shardblades/Plate.

DragonCon 2012 (Sept. 4, 2012)

Yeah. It's worth noting that Mists/Well aside, Scadrian magic is generally low Investiture.

The Bands of Mourning are less Invested than a Shardblade, and they're colossally more Invested/filled than most "normal" metalminds - the Bands don't even show blue lines to Wax, while normally metalminds can be Pushed with only somewhat increased difficulty. Hemalurgic spikes are also quite low Investiture.

Mistborn and Feruchemists also don't hold enough Investiture to get "passive" benefits like Returned or Elantrians do.