Subtle parallel with Dalinar in OB and RoW

theSurgeOfPhysics

When Dalinar speaks to Kaladin as Tien, right before the 4th Ideal, it reminded me of his “I am Unity” scene in OB. His message to Kaladin is being there in the moment for others, not just thinking about the end goal. It’s a reiteration of the First Ideal, journey before destination. Dalinar likes to focus on that one, similar to OB, where he says it can’t be a journey if it doesn’t have a beginning. 

I don't think Dalinar spoke to Kaladin as Tien - he forged a connection between Kaladin and a "memory" of Tien, creating a vision for him. Not spoke to him as a Tien. It is unclear if this is actually Tien's soul, or if it is simply a memory of him. It wasn't Dalinar that create these words. 

17 hours ago, alder24 said:

I don't think Dalinar spoke to Kaladin as Tien - he forged a connection between Kaladin and a "memory" of Tien, creating a vision for him. Not spoke to him as a Tien.

Say them, Tien whispered. 
…  

Say it, lad! Do it!

RoW, Ch. 108

Dalinar is the only character to call Kaladin “lad”, so it was likely a bit of both: a Tien memory and Dalinar intervening. 

I've listened to that chapter several times from the audio book, and it's definitely Teft's voice calling him "lad".  I'm confident that Dalinar did for Kaladin something very similar to what happened with Dalinar and Nohadon in Oathbringer.  A connection to the spiritual realm.