• Aluminum
    • Duralumin
    • Chromium
    • Nicrosil
    • Gold
    • Electrum
    • Cadmium
    • Bendalloy

Because there have been so many polls, I thought this one would be fun. You have all 16 metals but only the Allomantic or Feruchemical power of each metal, which do you choose?

My choices 

Tin - Feruchemy 

Pewter - Allomancy

Iron - Feruchemy 

Steel - Allomancy 

Copper - Feruchemy 

Bronze - Feruchemy 

Zinc - Feruchemy 

Brass - Feruchemy 

Aluminum - Feruchemy 

Duralumin - Feruchemy 

Chromium - Feruchemy 

Nicrosil - Feruchemy 

Gold - Feruchemy 

Electrum - Feruchemy 

Cadmium - Feruchemy 

Bendalloy - Allomancy 

I'm mostly interested in the Feruchemy but a couple Allomantic powers would be useful very useful. As cool as speed would be, I think A-Steel would be more useful and have better utility. Bendalloy was hard, storing nutrition calories and hydration would be super useful, but I like the practical benefits of time compression a lot

I love this concept! You’ve earned my like! Here is my list

Allomantic Steel: Who can resist the terrifying fun of hovering off of coins and other such? Plus, Sazed commented that steelminds suck to fill.

Feruchemical Iron: Good for playing with steel and not terrible to fill

Allomantic Tin: I’d rather not be without my senses, even if it means some sensory overload

Allomantic Pewter: Strong contender for the best Allomantic metal. Useful in basically every way. Far better than storing muscle, even accounting for fast burn rates.

Feruchemical Bronze: I can sleep whenever I want or stay up every other day or so

Feruchemical Copper: Store all of my favorite books and read them whenever . They also have pretty good mileage since Sazed could use just some big bracers to store a Keeper’s entire inventory

Feruchemical Zinc: Sucks to fill but useful. Plus, I’m in the camp of “emotional Allomancy is a bit too unethical for my preference”. 

Feruchemical Brass: Soak in a hot tub or bath and carry that warmth for as long as I want. Plus, same Allomancy issue as zinc

Feruchemical Aluminum: Allomantic Aluminum does nothing

Feruchemical Duralumin: I can fade into the background or be a littler better around people. Also, I would argue Feruchemical Duralumin is more ethical than Allomancy because Duralumin mainly bolsters you instead of altering others to a significant degree. I don’t consider them to be the same

Feruchemical Chromium: Wouldn’t be terrible to store if I’m in my room or something, since it’s more “future sight “than “stuff happens”

Allomantic Nicrosil: Can’t say for sure without knowing more about Nicrosil, but I can’t really think of many uses for Feruchemical Nicrosil besides making unsealed metalminds and I don’t know if I could get an Excisor. Plus, helping others is nice to do

Feruchemical Gold: Pewter makes storing health palatable and Allomantic Gold just sounds depressing

Feruchemical Electrum: A bit risky because I don’t want to become dependent on it or accidently drain too much. If I had to choose again, I’d probably lean Allomantic Electrum, but I’d say they are relatively close to each other, even with the drawbacks of Feruchemy.

Allomantic Cadmium: Makes boring times pass by and I don’t really need to not breath

Allomantic Bendalloy: Could use the food and water, but I’d still prefer to find time bending shenanigans.

Whats also funny is that I realized I’ve picked Mistborn on a lot of similar polls yet find Feruchemy far more practical. They do fill different niches. I also tended to avoid it because I saw filling metalminds as an awful experience, but I never respected F-Bronze and F-Copper enough. 

Edit: Thinking some more, I’m mostly content with my answers. However, if I’d done it again, I would probably pick Allomantic Electrum since I think I wasn’t entirely fair to it. I would also probably switch to Feruchemical Nicrosil for more control of Steelpushing, especially if I were on Earth instead of Scadrial. And I might swap to F-Tin, but could still go either way or stick with the answer I gave

Edited by Mistchemist16

After careful consideration I'm surprised how little allomantic powers I would take.

Tin - Feruchemy - I can store pain and isolate irritating stimuli
Pewter - Allomancy - it give you more than strength, speed, balance, tirelessness etc.
Iron - Feruchemy - this was hard, however weight seams to have more daily uses.
Steel - Feruchemy - I'm speed, I like being speed, with Pewter and Iron it would make me very dangerous fighter.
Copper - Feruchemy - having access to every thing you ever read and see is quite useful
Bronze - Feruchemy - very good
Zinc - Feruchemy - mental speed is also a speed
Brass - Allomancy - I think the ability to influence other's emotions is very useful
Aluminum - Feruchemy - useless in allomancy
Duralumin - Feruchemy - useless for me in allomancy, and playing with connection and identity is fun
Chromium - Feruchemy - Fortune!
Nicrosil - Feruchemy - again more useful 
Gold - Feruchemy - is this even a choice?
Electrum - Feruchemy - I need determination
Cadmium - Allomancy - time travel
Bendalloy - Allomancy - more time travel

This is getting out of hand, there areso many polls here. Why? :P 

Edited by alder24

13 minutes ago, Mistchemist16 said:

Feruchemical Copper: Store all of my favorite books and read them whenever . They also have pretty good mileage since Sazed could use just some big bracers to store a Keeper’s entire inventory

Also experience something like it's new again :)

6 minutes ago, alder24 said:

After careful consideration I'm surprised how little allomantic powers I would take.

I ended up feeling the same way when I actually thought about it. I did struggle with Steel, Electrum, and Bendalloy but the other decisions came pretty easy

9 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

Also experience something like it's new again :)

I ended up feeling the same way when I actually thought about it. I did struggle with Steel, Electrum, and Bendalloy but the other decisions came pretty easy

It’s crazy to think about. I think part of it is people don’t think about the sucky parts or how quickly you can make valuable metalminds, especially compared to the more obvious burn rates of Allomancy. But some choices do actually map out. Really, pewter is the only metal you would always pick for Allomancy. But I’d say copper and bronze are both more practical as Feruchemy. Aluminum does nothing and duralumin is only useful with multiple powers. Allomantic gold is never actually useful while healing is anwesome, even if storing health sucks. And we don’t know about Chromium or Nicrosil much, but future sight sounds pretty good. 

Also, I would posit that electrum could be tricky to balance in Feruchemy. Put too much determination in and you could get too depressed to pull it back or even stay alive. Use it too many times and you become dependent on the boost, even without Savantism. And that’s not accounting for making stupid choices while determined. Allomantic Electrum may be hard to figure out, but if you can learn to signal yourself via the shadows, there’s probably plenty of options

If you have any other thoughts on what metals people gravitate to and why, I’d love to hear them!

Edit: Imagine starting a movie review channel with F-Copper. You could perfectly compare how you felt before the twist and compare it to the second watch through. And just reliving the best payoffs. You could even go as far as to forget a movie you liked just so you can rewatch it as if it were your first time. Then store the memories of the best parts.

Edited by Mistchemist16

Sweet! Here were my choices.

Allomancy:

No real suprises here.  I picked:

Pewter - Duh.  Too many reasons.  Storing strength isn't as good unless compounding.

Steel - I like flying.  I like the idea of pushing things with my mind.  It's just cool.  Speed would be great, but nah.  I'd rather fly.

Brass - I'd rather sooth than riot, and the whole warmth thing doesn't interest me.  I don't think soothing is unethical, as long as it's done right.  It isn't any more unethical than a Pewterarm using his strength to force someone to do what they want.  Just don't force people to do what you want.  But if I could help ease people's suffering, or aleviate their fears or anxieties, that would be amazing.  I'd hire a Soother to follow me around and just sooth my anxiety or doubts or depression away all the time.  

Cadmium - Honestly, with Pewter I don't think there's a reason to do the Breath thing.  You can already run forever.  No need to super oxygenate your blood.  And I don't have to wait for things.  Just skip to the good parts.  On a side note, use this a lot, in conjunction with Wakefulness, and you will live a lot longer than everyone around you.  Not relatively, but time will pass faster for everyone else. 

That's it for Allomancy.  The rest is Feruchemy.  

Tin - Better than Allomantic tin, because you can dampen your senses, too.  Cut your hearing if something is too loud, cut your sense of smell if it stinks too much, just wear glasses when storing sight. Honestly, I'd just store sight all the time and always wear my glasses, until the tin mind is full.  You can even dull pain and whatnot with it.  It's just extremely useful for both storing and tapping. 

Iron - This was one of the iffy ones for me.  In the end, I chose Feruchemy because storing a bit of weight at all times can be useful, and there's the whole "it doesn't matter how high I fly, I can just float to the ground" thing.  I would totally go jumping out of airplanes without a parachut just for the lulz.

Copper - My memory isn't all that great, so being able to have perfect recall on things would be awesome.  Plus, be able to quickly memorize a book on any subject and call up the info whenever you want. Memorize a graph of mathematical formulas and always have the answer readily available.  

Bronze - Wakefulness.  Yeah.  Sleep whenever I want.  Wake whenever I want.  I mean, technically, couldn't you just store this every night?  Maybe make a makeshift alarm that pulls the metalmind from you when its time to wake up?  I don't know, but I like that better than Seeking. 

Zinc - No interest in Rioting, but being able to think faster would be useful.  

Aluminum - No real alomantic use, possible feruchemical one.

Duralumin - Meh, super boost is great, but I'd want to see what could be done with Connection.  

Chromium - Fortune is fun.  

Nicrosil - I have no interest in Necrobursts.  Not sure what I can do with this, but if I can figure out how to make medallions, then that's a money maker, right there.

Gold - Healing better than Augury.  Healing + Pewter even better.  

Electrum - Determination better than seeing myself fall on my face in a few seconds.

Bendalloy - This was the other one that I was iffy on.  In the end, being able to slide was just not quite as good as alwyas having the exact number of calories I need in a day, no matter how much I eat.  Go to Golden Corral for an evening, eat everything in the restaurant, and just store everything but a single meal's worth.  Never have to worry about getting fat.  Drink an entire barrel of water every morning to completely fill a bendalloymind, and never have to worry about being properly hydrated.  I think it would be very good for my health.