Frustration's Firepower Index: Taldain

Frustration

Just now, lacrossedeamon said:

We got Scadrians and Rosharans there in more concerted efforts than just random worldhoppers, silly to think their Shards wouldn't be taking an active interest in it.

Shards can't take action outside their system. There's a reason Odium had to go hunt down the shards he splintered. No other shard has an avatar on First of the Sun, and thus Autonomy can act with impunity.

Just now, lacrossedeamon said:

That's an assumption.

Odium had to hunt down Ambition, and wasn't able to attack her until he found her.

We know this because Ambition was number 1 on his hit list but wasn't able to splinter her until he found her

Spoiler

Argent

Some of the few Shards Rayse Splintered included Ambition, I believe, Dominion, and Devotion.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

And those were all way back, in the history. So, we know that the Shards' personalities overrides the Vessel's personality over time?

Brandon Sanderson

Strongly influence, and depending on the individual, override.

Argent

Okay. So did Rayse choose those Shards because--

Brandon Sanderson

He went after Ambition first, but didn't find Ambition until after going after Devotion and Dominion. But Ambition was number one on his hit list.

Argent

Was it because of the Shard or because of the Vessel? Like did he hate the person?

Brandon Sanderson

In this case it was the Shard, primarily, that drove him--

Argent

Oh, he was maybe afraid the Shard would grow too powerful and take over--

Brandon Sanderson

He was afraid that this Shard that would rival him. And so he's like "This one is number one on the hit list. We're taking down Ambition." But then he got trapped in the Rosharan system.

Arcanum Unbounded Chicago signing (Dec. 6, 2016)

51 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

@Frustration Agree to disagree then. I feel you are giving too much to Taldain based on assumptions regarding Autonomy rather than judging Taldain on its own merits but it's your post to do what you will.

Sounds good to me.

And thanks, you were the bigger person here.

I think the primary sticking point in this discussion is that some of it is based on SOTD2 info, however at that period at the timeline we just have no clue how enmeshed Shards are in the stellar empires born from their home systems. 

So far Autonomy and Harmony have been the most active in shaping life and government on their shard world. They give scientific information, talk to important people, lead important religions, and generally facilitate the advancement of society. The other shards we see don't appear to do this, and so I think it's fair to not count them.

This might change, perhaps in the Sci-fi Era cultivation/honor/odium or whatever comes out of there is actively involved with running Roshar in a way the shards just aren't really right now. Further these shards have never used their power or personal resources to expand the influence of their shard world, which is a big distinction from autonomy. 

Overall, I think there's enough evidence to imply that Autonomy has, at this point in the timeline, outsized influence and impact on Taldain compared to other shards, and that should be taken into consideration.

1 minute ago, A Simple Pilgrim said:

I think the primary sticking point in this discussion is that some of it is based on SOTD2 info, however at that period at the timeline we just have no clue how enmeshed Shards are in the stellar empires born from their home systems. 

So far Autonomy and Harmony have been the most active in shaping life and government on their shard world. They give scientific information, talk to important people, lead important religions, and generally facilitate the advancement of society. The other shards we see don't appear to do this, and so I think it's fair to not count them.

This might change, perhaps in the Sci-fi Era cultivation/honor/odium or whatever comes out of there is actively involved with running Roshar in a way the shards just aren't really right now. Further these shards have never used their power or personal resources to expand the influence of their shard world, which is a big distinction from autonomy. 

Overall, I think there's enough evidence to imply that Autonomy has, at this point in the timeline, outsized influence and impact on Taldain compared to other shards, and that should be taken into consideration.

No other shard has been able to lock their world to outside influence, or actively give their world advanced technology.

On 23.1.2023 at 3:34 AM, Frustration said:

Shards can't take action outside their system. There's a reason Odium had to go hunt down the shards he splintered. No other shard has an avatar on First of the Sun, and thus Autonomy can act with impunity.

With local impunity. First of the Sun may just not be worth triggering the Shardic equivalent of WW3.

On 26.1.2023 at 10:11 PM, Frustration said:

No other shard has been able to lock their world to outside influence, or actively give their world advanced technology.

That is iffy. Nalthis having a customs agency suggests that Endowment has the capability but lacks the desire. And what Kelsier demands from Harmony implies that Shards can give away technological knowledge.

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

With local impunity. First of the Sun may just not be worth triggering the Shardic equivalent of WW3.

Considering that Autonomy doesn't seem to be scared of Harmony, I doubt anything else would.

That is iffy. Nalthis having a customs agency suggests that Endowment has the capability but lacks the desire.

How so? I never got the impression it was anything other than a Nalthian government trying to control the Perpendicularity, just like the Horneaters.

And what Kelsier demands from Harmony implies that Shards can give away technological knowledge.

Yes, all of them can, but Autonomy is the only one we know of who does, which is why Taldain is the only world to benefit from their shard in this way.

10 hours ago, Frustration said:

Yes, all of them can, but Autonomy is the only one we know of who does, which is why Taldain is the only world to benefit from their shard in this way.

I would like to add that Sazed tried this, and it really didn't work. People lose their drive to learn new things when they have comfort and become complacent. Northern Scadrial had just barely begun to see improvements by the end of W&W and still hadn't done anything with the supposed blueprints of non-magical aircraft he gave them in the Words of Founding.

1 minute ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I would like to add that Sazed tried this, and it really didn't work. People lose their drive to learn new things when they have comfort and become complacent. Northern Scadrial had just barely begun to see improvements by the end of W&W and still hadn't done anything with the supposed blueprints of non-magical aircraft he gave them in the Words of Founding.

I would hardly call Sazed saying that flying machines are possible 'blueprints'.

Just now, Lego Mistborn said:

I don't have whichever book it was in, but I thought he specifically said blueprints. Maybe not though.

Alloy of Law chapter fifteen.

Miles thinks about how the Words of Founding said that men could take to the skies.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:53 PM, lacrossedeamon said:

That's an assumption.

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I found a WoB relevant to this

Spoiler

Questioner

How far does Sazed's power actually extend?

Brandon Sanderson

It is mostly limited to his immediate sphere of influence, so the planet.

Questioner

...But doesn't he move stars at the end?

Brandon Sanderson

No, he moved the planet. His solar system, he can definitely have influence on the whole solar system. But none of the other planets around Scadrial are inhabited.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/46/#e9706