Which Shard(s) would you hold?

Mistchemist16

Which Shards would you hold?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which single Shard would you hold?

• Ambition
    • Autonomy
    • Cultivation
    • Devotion
    • Dominion
    • Endowment
    • Honor
    • Invention
    • Mercy
    • Odium
    • Preservation
    • Ruin
    • Valor
    • Whimsy
  2. 2. If you had to hold a hybrid Shard, which ones would you choose?

• Ambition
    • Autonomy
    • Cultivation
    • Devotion
    • Dominion
    • Endowment
    • Honor
    • Invention
    • Mercy
    • Odium
    • Preservation
    • Ruin
    • Valor
    • Whimsy
    • All (become Adonalsium)
  3. 3. Would you want to have a Shard?

• Yes
    • Not sure
    • Only if I could pick the Shard(s)
    • Only if I could pick a hybrid
    • No

As of now, we learned quite a bit about Shards in the Cosmere. We’ve seen references to 10 in the books and have the names of four others. We’ve seen the great power they wield at the cost of being changed by the Shard’s Intent. And we’ve seen a hybrid Shard arise. So I ask you. Would you use a Shard? Would you take a hybrid? If so, which ones? How would you use their power (in either the Cosmere or our world)? Why?

For those of you who pick hybrid Shards, name the dual Shard’s Intent in the comments below. Bonus points if you can describe a basic concept for what magic system it might form.

Edited by Mistchemist16

I have to be realistic, I don't like changes, I would be a perfect fit for Preservation in all its negativity. That's why I doubt I would want to be shard. For a hybrid -  all of them so I don't have to worry about conflicting natures of different parts of me. If not for this option, Cultivation, Endowment or Invention would be nice to balance my negativity

For a single Shard I'd choose Autonomy. I do like the thought of freedom.

Plus the Avatar thing Bavadin does seems like it'd be pretty fun. I could set up my own mini-Cosmere in some distant corner of the galaxy.

As for a Hybrid, I think I'd go for a similar thing as Harmony, with two contrasting Shards might make it easier to remain myself.

I'd go with Ambition and Endowment. Reaching higher for myself while also giving stuff to others. 

I'd be loathe to pick up just any Shard, not if I could choose it, I wouldn't want to turn out like Ati did, subsumed by the Intent of a Shard.

I think as a single shard, invention would be pretty cool for me. Invention just fits pretty well with my skillset/interests.

As a hybrid, I think Invention and Whimsy would be awesome together, again, it would align pretty well with my preferences. If I were to be a super hybrid of more than two shards, I think I would add valor to that, maybe preservation too.

If i had to choose though, I'd rather not have any shards at all, I would not want it to mess with me as a person, and I just don't want to have that much responsibility/power

Hmm, depends. Preservation is likely the best fit for my personality. I am very much a set in my ways person who likes routine and stability. Preservation can be pretty stifling (as stasis, not allowing positive change) though. So while I think I'd want one like Cultivation or Invention, I think I'd actually be better at holding Preservation.

Hybrid, Preservation+Invention... keep the best of the past while exploring new possibilities. I think that combo would pretty much remove the bad side of Preservation.

I'd like to think I wouldn't take up a Shard (especially not a single Shard which are all dangerous). But I don't know if I would necessarily say no if I were actually offered vast power and immortality... though the loss of self that can happen means its arguably not really *me* immortal any more.

I definitely wouldn't take a destructive/aggressive Shard like Ruin or Odium  - certainly not after seeing what happened to Ati.

But Preservation, Invention, Cultivation, Endowment, or (possibly) Mercy (though Sazed says Mercy worries him...) would be real temptations.

Hmm - Kelsier's experience in SH suggests you can voluntarily give up a Shard. If that's the case I guess I could pick up a Shard, do a lot of good in a brief burst (like Sazed at the end of HoA), but then hand off the Shard before it made me inhuman...

But repeatedly changing hands would lead to a very unstable world...

Edited by cometaryorbit

16 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

Hmm - Kelsier's experience in SH suggests you can voluntarily give up a Shard. If that's the case I guess I could pick up a Shard, do a lot of good in a brief burst (like Sazed at the end of HoA), but then hand off the Shard before it made me inhuman...

But repeatedly changing hands would lead to a very unstable world...

Could try to slowly Splinter it and chuck most of it's power offworld. If it becomes a problem at least it won't be yours.

Could even set up a Well of Ascension just for yourself, so you could repeatedly get bursts of Godhood over time.