Aether questions

Tamriel Wolfsbaine

I know this is likely a lot of speculation but I am curious about aetherbound in combination with bendalloy feruchemy or compounding.   

Does bendalloy allow you to store hydration as well as food?  Could gold compounding heal your body through the dehydration and help to fuel roseite constructs?   

Also how do we think roseite armors and weapons would interact with shardblades?  

What level of investiture is the constructs being made with roseite?  Or is the investiture only present as it grows and then it becomes like any other object?  

13 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Does bendalloy allow you to store hydration as well as food? 

The Ars Arcanum of The Lost Metal says that, like with F-Tin, you store what you eat in one Bendalloymind and store what you drink in another.

15 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Could gold compounding heal your body through the dehydration and help to fuel roseite constructs?   

Maybe, but you'd probably have to continuously tap Gold until you actually drink some water before you stop tapping or you'd die. Like how a Gold Compounder technically doesn't need to breathe but still needs to tap Gold to survive it.

16 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Also how do we think roseite armors and weapons would interact with shardblades?  

I don't think that stuff made by Aethers is particularly Invested, so probably not well.

17 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

What level of investiture is the constructs being made with roseite?  Or is the investiture only present as it grows and then it becomes like any other object?  

I think that the latter is implied. Investiture goes in, and is converted into physical matter. Or something like that.

29 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Could gold compounding heal your body through the dehydration and help to fuel roseite constructs?

I don’t think it works this way. Gold would heal the damage the dehydration is doing to your body but I don’t think it would actually be creating water for the aether to then use. I think theoretically you could “Aetherbind” until the proverbial well runs dry at which point the aetherbinding stops with the gold healing keeping you from dying from the dried out well but the well is still dry so no further aetherbinding after or during the gold healing (have I said “well” enough times?).

Edited by lacrossedeamon

31 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

The Ars Arcanum of The Lost Metal says that, like with F-Tin, you store what you eat in one Bendalloymind and store what you drink in another.

Maybe, but you'd probably have to continuously tap Gold until you actually drink some water before you stop tapping or you'd die. Like how a Gold Compounder technically doesn't need to breathe but still needs to tap Gold to survive it.

I don't think that stuff made by Aethers is particularly Invested, so probably not well.

I think that the latter is implied. Investiture goes in, and is converted into physical matter. Or something like that.

If you had enough hydration stored up via bendalloy could you keep feeding a slow trickle to a construct to keep it highly invested or is that against the way it works?  

22 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

I don’t think it works this way. Gold would heal the damage the dehydration is doing to your body but I don’t think it would actually be creating water for the aether to then use. I think theoretically you could “Aetherbind” until the proverbial well runs dry at which point the aetherbinding stops with the gold healing keeping you from dying from the dried out well but the well is still dry so no further aetherbinding after or during the gold healing (have I said “well” enough times?).

So gold won't keep fueling it.  For that you really need some bendalloy minds filled with hydration.  

Just now, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

If you had enough hydration stored up via bendalloy could you keep feeding a slow trickle to a construct to keep it highly invested or is that against the way it works?  

It's pretty much exactly like Sand Mastery, except you make your stuff instead of Bending pre-existing stuff. 

Though if your not in a place that has an 'Ambient Investiture Field' than your Aether-stuff will crumble as soon as you stop touching it.

2 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

So gold won't keep fueling it.  For that you really need some bendalloy minds filled with hydration.  

I'm thinking that Gold will stave off the effects of dehydration, but when you stop tapping you'll probably die from it unless you drink water before you cease tapping.

But yeah Bendalloyminds with water in them will probably work best for Aetherbound.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:47 AM, JustQuestin2004 said:

Strongly disagree Aether constructs are highly invested. 

21 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Strongly disagree Aether constructs are highly invested. 

My interest was instant when I heard of constructs.  I love the idea of a thing in the world being comparable to shardblades and plate.  Not necessarily that I want aether roseite to be able to cut magically or anything... but just the ability to withstand strikes from a shardblade and the ability to make heavy bludgeoning weapons to hit back against shardplate offers one of the first legit options in the cosmere to answer it that aren't "be fullborn" or "be godking make your own plate and blade".  

Add on bendalloy compounder and you have a legitimately viable option for fighting against roshar.  

Well, to be fair, heavy weapons will break Shardplate and outrange Shardblades. Scadrial as of TLM probably isn't quite there (for personal scale weapons- I think they have a Maxim/Gatling type gun) but they're not that far away from building something like a bazooka.

Even though Telsin couldn't get her rockets to the range needed, what she did have is probably beyond the rocket technology of our 1910s. Before the 1930s/WW2 rockets were strictly very short range.

However, there had been basically no interest in rockets until it started up again in the 20s, and that was basically on the hobby/lone maverick level (Goddard, Oberth etc) with no real resources behind it until the immediate run up to WW2. So the technology might have been capable of more.

Anyway, unless all Telsin's plans and so on were completely destroyed, I'd imagine Scadrial would be ahead on rocket tech - especially as Kelsier hints in the epilogue that he'll be pushing Physical space travel.