Chat GPT- What are the shards?

rywall182

For those of you not familiar, Chat GPT is an incredibly versatile AI, you ask it questions and it spits out answers. I decided to ask it “How many shards are there in Brandon Sanderson’s Cosmere?”.. the answer below is interesting…

In Brandon Sanderson's "cosmere," there are a total of 16 shards, each of which represents a fragment of the power of a being known as Adonalsium, which was shattered into pieces at the beginning of the cosmere's history. Each shard represents a particular aspect of Adonalsium's power and is named after that aspect. The shards are:

1. Preservation
  2. Ruin
  3. Devotion
  4. Dominion
  5. Endowment
  6. Cultivation
  7. Honor
  8. Ambition
  9. Tolerance
  10. Autonomy
  11. Pains
  12. Justice
  13. Treachery
  14. Dominion
  15. Endowment
  16. Devotion

Each shard is currently held by a specific individual or entity, known as a "vessel," who wields the power of the shard and is able to use it to shape the world in which they live. Some of the shards have been passed down through the generations, while others have changed hands more recently.

Its obvious flaw is that it listed Dominion, Devotion, and Endowment twice. It also did not list Whimsy and Mercy. What I find fascinating though is that it listed a few I’ve never heard mentioned, let alone by Brandon. I’m not sure how it came up with what it did. But the three of interest to me: Pains, Justice, and Treachery. Anyone have thoughts here?

Treachery sound like a cool Shard name. And fits well, complete opposition to Honor. His invested arts must be great.

Tolerance also is good one 

Justice is theorized to be name for Shards of Odium and Honor combined. Looks like this Ai subscribes to that theory.

I'm surprise that there is Ambition but not Odium. Why?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/1/2023 at 8:23 AM, rywall182 said:

For those of you not familiar, Chat GPT is an incredibly versatile AI, you ask it questions and it spits out answers. I decided to ask it “How many shards are there in Brandon Sanderson’s Cosmere?”.. the answer below is interesting…

Its obvious flaw is that it listed Dominion, Devotion, and Endowment twice. It also did not list Whimsy and Mercy. What I find fascinating though is that it listed a few I’ve never heard mentioned, let alone by Brandon. I’m not sure how it came up with what it did. But the three of interest to me: Pains, Justice, and Treachery. Anyone have thoughts here?

The versatility of Chat GPT is commendable, but its response to Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere shard count contains notable inaccuracies. It repeats Dominion, Devotion, and Endowment, overlooking Whimsy and Mercy. Intriguingly, it introduces obscure shards like Pains, Justice, and Treachery, raising questions about their origin. Further discussion is warranted. You can use ChatGPT, the smartest AI today without needing to log in or register at the website GPTDeutsch.de

1 minute ago, The Sovereign said:

For the sake of picking nits; Warlight strongly indicates the likely combination of Honor and Odium is War. ;)

Is Lifelight the light of Life Shard or Cultivation? Is Voidlight the light of the Shard of Void or Odium? Is Stormlight the light of Storm or Honor? :)  

Truthfully there likely are many different names for this combination, it all depends on who will pick them up together.

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

Is Lifelight the light of Life Shard or Cultivation? Is Voidlight the light of the Shard of Void or Odium? Is Stormlight the light of Storm or Honor? :)  

Truthfully there likely are many different names for this combination, it all depends on who will pick them up together.

Yeah, you're totally right, I wasn't using my logic pre-coffee this morning.