The Fellowship of the Thing - I'm bored. Time for Season 2!

Channelknight Fadran

1 hour ago, Random Bystander said:

I have no idea what has happened or is currently happening on this RP. But I currently have nothing else to do, so can I join this?

Of course! Everyone is welcome at the Mishmash Inn! Just make a character, fall in from the sky (or any other method of entering), and participate in shenanigans!

On 12.1.2023 at 8:12 PM, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Klave nodded slowly. “Yes. We killed them. Not entirely, but we decimated their population. Those that remain don’t have access to the magic they used to.”

Sorry for taking so long to reply... I couldn't find peace of mind to do it, and today was Shabbat, during which I can't use electronic devices... Nevermind.

Galard started. "That's awful! But... I wouldn't put it beyond what some humans can do. How did the rest of the dragons lose their access to magic?"

He frowned. "How magic works in your world anyway, that humans can't access it?"

On 1/14/2023 at 6:19 PM, Shining Silhouette said:

"Aha! We Shall-an Adventure!

"Sso you think yoursself a Wit? Anywayss we need to find thiss sscroll sso we can leave."

@Shining Silhouette

Edited by The Wandering Wizard
Forgot to summon

21 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Galard started. "That's awful! But... I wouldn't put it beyond what some humans can do. How did the rest of the dragons lose their access to magic?"

He frowned. "How magic works in your world anyway, that humans can't access it?"

That's totally fine. I know the feeling.

Klave shrugged. "I don't know why dragons can't use magic. my best guess is that only the oldest dragons could use their magic, beyond normal fire and flight of course. But I haven't been able to get any conclusive answers. Anyways, from what I can tell in my world things are either born with magic or without it. Most things are pretty normal, with only a few hints of magic. Others are completely infused with it, to the point that their forms are impossible to maintain without magic. Most humans have no magic at all. Rarely, some will be born with a tiny hint of magic, but that never goes beyond being slightly healthier and a bit more attuned to the magic around them." He frowned, expression distant. "Dragons are the opposite. They, like most other large predators, feed on magic, but they can also make it. Make it better than anything else. They're the most concentrated form of magic in the world, and since we destroyed so much of their population, they can't use a tenth of it to defend themselves."

1 hour ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Klave shrugged. "I don't know why dragons can't use magic. my best guess is that only the oldest dragons could use their magic, beyond normal fire and flight of course. But I haven't been able to get any conclusive answers. Anyways, from what I can tell in my world things are either born with magic or without it. Most things are pretty normal, with only a few hints of magic. Others are completely infused with it, to the point that their forms are impossible to maintain without magic. Most humans have no magic at all. Rarely, some will be born with a tiny hint of magic, but that never goes beyond being slightly healthier and a bit more attuned to the magic around them." He frowned, expression distant. "Dragons are the opposite. They, like most other large predators, feed on magic, but they can also make it. Make it better than anything else. They're the most concentrated form of magic in the world, and since we destroyed so much of their population, they can't use a tenth of it to defend themselves."

"Feed on magic?" Said Lightning. "Is that more filling than cattle, somehow?" He snorted, producing a line of smoke. But he was obviously disturbed by the revelation that in another world, his species reached near extinction.

Galard frowned. "You talk about magic as if it's an essence or energy into itself. The magic I know is more about talent; though maybe dragons' fire-breathing works in a similar way."

He looked thoughtful. "The magic I can use just manipulates the medium through which matter flows. It's not some kind of energy being produced."

Did I just randomly and somewhat thoughtlessly started explaining my magic system? Yes. Do I care? Not so much.

This is an odd magic system, really. It probably shouldn't work outside of Galard's world (but so far it did), and probably shouldn't be able to do what I claim it does. But hey, let's see how it goes!

57 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

"Feed on magic?" Said Lightning. "Is that more filling than cattle, somehow?" He snorted, producing a line of smoke. But he was obviously disturbed by the revelation that in another world, his species reached near extinction.

Galard frowned. "You talk about magic as if it's an essence or energy into itself. The magic I know is more about talent; though maybe dragons' fire-breathing works in a similar way."

He looked thoughtful. "The magic I can use just manipulates the medium through which matter flows. It's not some kind of energy being produced."

"I suspect our world's magics work very differently. I suppose it should be surprising that our worlds are similar enough to have dragons in them. You two, myself, and Bookwyrm all come from worlds with dragons. Odd, isn't it? Out of a group so small, so many of us have something in common."

Hey, expositioning your character's backstory is half the fun of RP'ing!

Edited by UnfortunatelyNamed

14 hours ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

"I suspect our world's magics work very differently. I suppose it should be surprising that our worlds are similar enough to have dragons in them. You two, myself, and Bookwyrm all come from worlds with dragons. Odd, isn't it? Out of a group so small, so many of us have something in common."

Galard frowned. "... I guess it is odd? But isn't it just as odd that most of us are human? In my world there are trolls, too. If you expect variation, don't you think the sameness is more of a question?"

Lightning behind him snorted, moving his head to be just above Galard and Klade. "Yeah, mr. Puny human, wouldn't it make more sense if more worlds had dragons but not humans? What makes you think creatures like you should be the norm?"

1 hour ago, Trutharchivist said:

Galard frowned. "... I guess it is odd? But isn't it just as odd that most of us are human? In my world there are trolls, too. If you expect variation, don't you think the sameness is more of a question?"

Lightning behind him snorted, moving his head to be just above Galard and Klade. "Yeah, mr. Puny human, wouldn't it make more sense if more worlds had dragons but not humans? What makes you think creatures like you should be the norm?"

Klave tilted his head, thoughtful. "Trolls? I'm not familiar with those. Are they dangerous? Still, I suppose you're right. Humans do seem to be extremely common, so it makes sense that dragons could be as well."

9 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Klave tilted his head, thoughtful. "Trolls? I'm not familiar with those. Are they dangerous? Still, I suppose you're right. Humans do seem to be extremely common, so it makes sense that dragons could be as well."

"Not as dangerous as dragons, trolls." Said Lightning, settling to a point where he faced Klade, his head to Galard's right.

"Well, Lightning," said Galard, turning to him, "I must disagree this time. You do remember they captured us both, right?"

Lightning turned his head to Galard. "And I released us both! With my fire breath! What were you doing at the time, care to remind me?"

"The same thing you were doing when a troll tied your wings, I'd guess, you hexamembraned reptilian!" Replied Galard.

"That's not an answer. Or an insult. You're really bad at this." Said Lightning, chuckling. "Admit it. We dragons are superior."

Galard just rolled his eyes and turned back to Klade. "To actually answer your question, trolls are humanlike creatures that live on and under the mountains surrounding the valley where I come from. They're averagely bigger than the tallest human, and aren't very smart. They eat most anything they can lay their hands on - they don't see eating humans or dragons as cannibalism, eating one of their own, though..." He sighed. "Being in their caves was an unpleasant experience, anyway. But it saved us from the hypnotic flesh-eating mountain goats."

6 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

"Not as dangerous as dragons, trolls." Said Lightning, settling to a point where he faced Klade, his head to Galard's right.

"Well, Lightning," said Galard, turning to him, "I must disagree this time. You do remember they captured us both, right?"

Lightning turned his head to Galard. "And I released us both! With my fire breath! What were you doing at the time, care to remind me?"

"The same thing you were doing when a troll tied your wings, I'd guess, you hexamembraned reptilian!" Replied Galard.

"That's not an answer. Or an insult. You're really bad at this." Said Lightning, chuckling. "Admit it. We dragons are superior."

Galard just rolled his eyes and turned back to Klade. "To actually answer your question, trolls are humanlike creatures that live on and under the mountains surrounding the valley where I come from. They're averagely bigger than the tallest human, and aren't very smart. They eat most anything they can lay their hands on - they don't see eating humans or dragons as cannibalism, eating one of their own, though..." He sighed. "Being in their caves was an unpleasant experience, anyway. But it saved us from the hypnotic flesh-eating mountain goats."

"They don't sound too terrible. Better than most of the things I've had to deal with. There are hypnotic flesh-eating mountain goats in your world? Sounds... interesting."

19 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

"They don't sound too terrible. Better than most of the things I've had to deal with. There are hypnotic flesh-eating mountain goats in your world? Sounds... interesting."

Galard shuddered. "You could say so. You could also say 'terrifying'. We're still learning to deal with them." He shook his head and straightened. "Lucky for us, they aren't very intelligent. And they don't often come down from the mountains."

"Lucky for them, you mean." Said Lightning. "Let them come down! I'd like a few more kebabs in the near future."

Galard rolled his eyes. "I don't think this was what you said when we were on the mountains. I remember something more akin to a hypnosied growls. And a distinct distaste for goat-meat ever since."

"Well, it isn't my fault if your memory is flawed." Said Lightning.

"Really? If you want, I can probably ask Nath to conjure some goat meat for you. How would you like that?"

"Oh, I would like that very much! But aren't you forgetting our guest? Really, Gal, I thought your short term memory, at least, was still functioning."

"Don't you dare call me that agai-" started Galard, then paused, recalling that he really did had a guest. "I apologise. It appears hearing humans nearly wiped out his kind somewhere didn't do well with Lightning ego, so he feels duty-bound to raise it to it's former glory."

"Hey!" Lightning protested. "I'm not-"

"Anyway," Galard cut him in the middle, "we might as well go to lunch - I'm starving."

"No you aren't, you just want me out of the loop again!" Complained Lightning. "We ate together, and I'm not hungry yet!"

"That's because dragon and human digestion systems are different. You ate quite a lot this morning, Light."

"Oh, come on! It still-"

"Shall we go get lunch, then?" Asked Galard quickly.

5 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Galard shuddered. "You could say so. You could also say 'terrifying'. We're still learning to deal with them." He shook his head and straightened. "Lucky for us, they aren't very intelligent. And they don't often come down from the mountains."

"Lucky for them, you mean." Said Lightning. "Let them come down! I'd like a few more kebabs in the near future."

Galard rolled his eyes. "I don't think this was what you said when we were on the mountains. I remember something more akin to a hypnosied growls. And a distinct distaste for goat-meat ever since."

"Well, it isn't my fault if your memory is flawed." Said Lightning.

"Really? If you want, I can probably ask Nath to conjure some goat meat for you. How would you like that?"

"Oh, I would like that very much! But aren't you forgetting our guest? Really, Gal, I thought your short term memory, at least, was still functioning."

"Don't you dare call me that agai-" started Galard, then paused, recalling that he really did had a guest. "I apologise. It appears hearing humans nearly wiped out his kind somewhere didn't do well with Lightning ego, so he feels duty-bound to raise it to it's former glory."

"Hey!" Lightning protested. "I'm not-"

"Anyway," Galard cut him in the middle, "we might as well go to lunch - I'm starving."

"No you aren't, you just want me out of the loop again!" Complained Lightning. "We ate together, and I'm not hungry yet!"

"That's because dragon and human digestion systems are different. You ate quite a lot this morning, Light."

"Oh, come on! It still-"

"Shall we go get lunch, then?" Asked Galard quickly.

Klave shook his head. "You can. I'm not feeling particularly hungry at the moment."

5 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

YAY CLICHES

Troupes are fun! Now turn it upside down and I will call you Mr. Sanderson :P

Hmm,  Ssilly Wit, thiss iss my lair. It attractss ssnackss like earlier. Now prepare to be eaten!

7 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

"Most definitely!" As they walked in, the door slammed shut behind them.

"Uh oh..."

"Sso where do you think the sscroll would be? It'ss not like we can do anything elsse."

Right on que, a ominous growling appeared to their left.

"Sslither away!" Screamed Pythor as he slithered away, heading straight forward, towards the center of the building.

4 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

"Sso where do you think the sscroll would be? It'ss not like we can do anything elsse."

Right on que, a ominous growling appeared to their left.

"Sslither away!" Screamed Pythor as he slithered away, heading straight forward, towards the center of the building.

"ahhhhhhh" said Leo. "Whoops caps lock was on. AHHHHHHHHHHHH" screamed Leo.

1 hour ago, Shining Silhouette said:

A flying child chased them. "I want pizza."

"No!" shouted Leo.

"NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UHP-IZZA!"

"Sso that iss the most foul demon I have ever sseen. A pizza rick rolling baby. I wonder how it would tasste and what powerss I would gain from consuming it."