midnight aether speculation [sp1]

So the midnight aether mimics things, taking on their shape. This immediately brought to mind Re-Shephir, aka the Midnight Mother, who does exactly this. There's no way that's a coincidence, I think we can all agree. But the question is, is this just magic working by similar principals? Or was Re-Shephir made directly from something aetheric? Cause one of the prevailing theories is that the Unmade were unmade from being *something*.

I dont think Re-Shephir was made from Aethers or anything but Brandon has said that Midnight Essence is a Cosmere wide theme or phenomenon, like Lightweaving and other things.

imo I think that is where their Connection lies and thats about it. They both arose from pre-existing natural pathways. But one disnt come from the other.

10 hours ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

So the midnight aether mimics things, taking on their shape. This immediately brought to mind Re-Shephir, aka the Midnight Mother, who does exactly this. There's no way that's a coincidence, I think we can all agree. But the question is, is this just magic working by similar principals? Or was Re-Shephir made directly from something aetheric? Cause one of the prevailing theories is that the Unmade were unmade from being *something*.

That's not really a theory; it's explicitly stated in the text.  One of the Unmade (Re-Shephir?) tells Shallan that they were "made" and then Odium unmade them.

Brandon has stated that the Unmade count as being native to Roshar but I think that leaves it open for some of them not being native prior to being Unmade. They are also said to be Splinters of Odium. I think its possible that he Invested other beings similar to how Autonomy makes Avatars but on a smaller scale and that Re-Shephir could have previously been a Midnight Aetherbound who had worldhopped to Roshar for whatever reason before being Unmade.