Is Adin's father a radiant?

Little_Dagger

In RoW, Adin seems to suspect that his father had attracted a spren. Do you think it is an unfounded teenage hope or there is some validity to it? 

Since Adin's father was awake during the occupation, he can't be of the first three ideals. Could he be a squire? Or perhaps, like Kaladin, he was close to the fourth one?

On my first read, I though it unlikely that we have an unknown radiant in the tower, but now that I reread RoW, it seems interesting that the father is shown to be in the thick of resistance several times. 

I keep thinking that, perhaps, Adin's chapters are not about Adin, after all :)

I always thought that Adin was going to be a back-half character. Maybe not a major character, but a character. I assume he'll swear Radiant oaths at some point.

And it wouldn't fit as much if his father was a Radiant...though it could be possible.

14 hours ago, Yuliya said:

On my first read, I though it unlikely that we have an unknown radiant in the tower, but now that I reread RoW, it seems interesting that the father is shown to be in the thick of resistance several times. 

I keep thinking that, perhaps, Adin's chapters are not about Adin, after all

I don't think those are mutually exclusive - hidden foreshadowing for Father and future foreshadowing for Son. While I do not think Alalan is Radiant, I do find some of his dialog interesting; as well as the fact that he has a Lighteyed name* .

However, my 20 Yen says he's a Worldhopper. . .

*Similar to TWoK's flashbacks when Kal is whinging about his name being too lighteyed, and preferring Kal because it sounds like a Darkeyed name.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

7 hours ago, Treamayne said:

I don't think those are exclusive - hidden foreshadowing for Father and future foreshadowing for Son. While I do not think Alalan is Radiant, I do find some of his dialog interesting; as well as the that he has a Lighteyed name* .

However, my 20 Yen says he's a Worldhopper. . .

*Similar to TWoK's flashbacks when Kal is whinging about his name being too lighteyed, and preferring Kal because it sounds like a Darkeyed name.

It slipped my mind that Alalan was named in the book, and you are right, it does sound like a lighteye's name. 

Even if he will turn out to be a one-book character, I am still happy he was included in the story: it was nice to see a boy looking up to his father for a change, considering how tense other son-father relationships in RoW are (i.e. Kaladin-Lirin or Adolin-Dalinar).

• 3 weeks later...