the meaning of Lift`s name [discuss]

offer

About a week ago I noticed That Lift is a Synonym of ascend and started thinking if it is a clue that will ascend to a shard (Cultivation?) in the future.

Or maybe it means she will help someone else to ascend.

I saw a WoB that Lift is the meaning of her name and not the way it is pronounced, but I haven`t found any on the origin of this name. Do we know if it is the name given to her at birth or maybe she started using it only after visiting the nightwatcher, presumabely when she was chosen to play this role?

Was that something clear to everyone else that I missed entirely until now? (It appens sometimes as I am not a native English speaker - for few months I was sure the pun in Wax and Wayne was that the name sounds similar and I had no Idea that those are wordds with meaning).

Lift: to move or bring (something) upward from the ground or other support to a higher position; hoist.

200.gif

In all seriousness, I suspect @teknopathetic probably has the right of it. To "Lift" something is slang for stealing it. 

Edited by The Sovereign

1 hour ago, offer said:

About a week ago I noticed That Lift is a Synonym of ascend and started thinking if it is a clue that will ascend to a shard (Cultivation?) in the future.

Or maybe it means she will help someone else to ascend.

I saw a WoB that Lift is the meaning of her name and not the way it is pronounced, but I haven`t found any on the origin of this name. Do we know if it is the name given to her at birth or maybe she started using it only after visiting the nightwatcher, presumabely when she was chosen to play this role?

Was that something clear to everyone else that I missed entirely until now? (It appens sometimes as I am not a native English speaker - for few months I was sure the pun in Wax and Wayne was that the name sounds similar and I had no Idea that those are wordds with meaning).

Foreshadowing through names is 100% something Brandon would do. :lol: 

2 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

"to Lift" also means "to steal" , so this could be a nickname she got for stealing all the time. 

Good idea. I haven`t thought of that, but that raises 2 questions:

1) Is it used the same way in Reshi?

2) Who gave her this nickname? It is in Reshi and she never was in the Reshi Isles. Maybe her mother gave her this nickname, but that would mean she was stealing while her mother was alive.

Another point I noticed is that she asked the nightwatcher to stay the same while everyoneelse changed around her, which could be a description of the world from the point of view of a shard. So maybe this is Cultivation will eventually give her what she asked for but it will take time, the same way Dalinar resived the forgivveness of Evi but not immediatelly and Taravangian resived the capacity to save humanity when he ascended to Odium. 

1 hour ago, offer said:

Another point I noticed is that she asked the nightwatcher to stay the same while everyoneelse changed around her, which could be a description of the world from the point of view of a shard. So maybe this is Cultivation will eventually give her what she asked for but it will take time, the same way Dalinar resived the forgivveness of Evi but not immediatelly and Taravangian resived the capacity to save humanity when he ascended to Odium. 

I think this is a popular belief. Lift is just in limbo, and she was given more connection to the Cultivation shard as a beginning step (access to Life light etc). This could be true. But maybe Lift will become a Spren? They also rarely change. 

Edited by teknopathetic

2 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

I don't think "lift" is a synonym for "ascend". Lifting is transitive (you lift something else).

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lift

Definition of lift

(Entry 1 of 3)

transitive verb

1a: to raise from a lower to a higher position : ELEVATE
b: to raise in rank or condition
c: to raise in rate or amount
2: to put an end to (a blockade or siege) by withdrawing or causing the withdrawal of investing forces
3: REVOKE, RESCINDlift an embargo
4a: STEALhad her purse lifted
c: to take out of normal settinglift a word out of context
5: to take up (something, such as a root crop or transplants) from the ground
6: to pay off (an obligation)lift a mortgage
7: to move from one place to another (as by aircraft) : TRANSPORT
8: to take up (a fingerprint) from a surface

intransitive verb

1aASCENDRISEthe rocket lifted off
b: to appear elevated (as above surrounding objects)
2of inclement weather : to dissipate and clear

On 7/27/2022 at 10:29 PM, drunkenbotanist said:

This makes me think about how what Lift asked for from cultivation really would go against cultivations intent?

I think what Lift wanted would go against Cultivation's Intent, but not how Cultivation interpreted her request. Lift wanted to not change or grow at all, but I think what she actually got was more like "preserving the core of herself through change" which seems compatible with Cultivation (growth, but not metamorphosis into something wholly different).

I'm not sure what that means exactly, or how making Investiture from food or being a bit into the Cognitive Realm will help her preserve the core of her identity, but...

On 7/20/2022 at 4:20 PM, offer said:

c: to take out of normal setting lift a word out of context

I think this might be the correct definition. Lift was "lifted" out of her normal context when she became closer to the cognitive realm. Though, she probably thinks that she was "lifted" out of the normal stream of time, to stay the same and not change.