Is it just me or is soulcasting really op

I think that a soulcaster probably can`t soulcast someone (or something) invested, or at least it will be very hard.

It is a very powerfull ability against a regular army but probably can`t be used directly against a magic user. It still will be usefull - we saw Jasnah soulcast the air to oil and set it on fire against fused.

On 7/2/2022 at 0:36 PM, HOID WANTS INSTANT NOODLES said:

You can just make your enemies dissolve. Couldnt they literaly just vaporize anyone. Also could they turn fused/heralds into stone. If they did would the fused/herald return to braize or stay trapped as stone.

They would return to Braize.

Edited by Frustration

Actually, I was wondering about this a bit ago. Does Jasnah actually have to be touching an object or person to Soulcast it/them? I think that was the case in the last few books, but in that Soulcasting killing scene in TWoK, I think she Soulcast one of the men as he was running away. Am I remembering wrong?

1 hour ago, stormblessed1616 said:

Actually, I was wondering about this a bit ago. Does Jasnah actually have to be touching an object or person to Soulcast it/them? I think that was the case in the last few books, but in that Soulcasting killing scene in TWoK, I think she Soulcast one of the men as he was running away. Am I remembering wrong?

No, you're right. Touch is not required.

22 minutes ago, stormblessed1616 said:

Well then, this is absolutely true. Soulcasting is super OP, which is why it would be GREAT if we could get a little more information. (sorry if that was too salty but I seriously need more information)

WoK I think the lesson talks about jasnah soul casting a person from a distance 

Soulcasting is crazy powerful, certainly, but it's not the only Surge that is. Look at what Bondsmiths can do...

Due to Soulcaster fabrials, Soulcasting is well-understood in a way that other Surges aren't. I imagine other Surges have potential crazy applications when fully understood (Hoid talks to Jasnah about blowing up whole armies in ROW: Division?)

Progression can literally bring back the dead (recently dead only, sure, but still...)

Surgebinding as a magic system was specifically limited by Honor because it was so potentially powerful. That means something.

---

As for the logistics implications of Soulcasters: Yeah its pretty crazy. But that's the only way Alethkar can maintain such huge armies in terrain as barren as the Shattered Plains.

I bet thats a big part of how they survived the Desolations too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2022 at 6:08 PM, cometaryorbit said:

Soulcasting is crazy powerful, certainly, but it's not the only Surge that is. Look at what Bondsmiths can do...

Due to Soulcaster fabrials, Soulcasting is well-understood in a way that other Surges aren't. I imagine other Surges have potential crazy applications when fully understood (Hoid talks to Jasnah about blowing up whole armies in ROW: Division?)

Progression can literally bring back the dead (recently dead only, sure, but still...)

Surgebinding as a magic system was specifically limited by Honor because it was so potentially powerful. That means something.

---

As for the logistics implications of Soulcasters: Yeah its pretty crazy. But that's the only way Alethkar can maintain such huge armies in terrain as barren as the Shattered Plains.

I bet thats a big part of how they survived the Desolations too.

Surgebinding is crazy powerful, Odium even mentions to Dalinar how powerful he knows it is.  Although I think that's more support about the nuclear capabilities of surgebinding.   BondSmiths seem like the exception. Since they are bonded to much greater spren, it makes sense that they'd have much greater powers, so I think that might work differently.  And Division ties to the nuclear power idea too, I think. But it feels like they'd need a BondSmith's help to decimate entire armies.

Soulcasting just seems so over powered because it can be used to meet most basic needs; food, shelter, waste removal, etc. And also because while there are ways to resist it, there's not much of a way to stop it. That we know of, anyway.