Purpose of each of the unmade

Rg2045

So this post is more, what was each of the unmades purpose in the war effort, rather then if they are originally splinters of odium or honor or cultivation. https://coppermind.net/wiki/Unmade Is a link to the unmade coppermind For a refresher On each of the unmade. 

Ashertmarm 

the one that causes people to become gluttons.

I think his purpose was to soften areas like kolinar weaken the leadership to make it easier to capture. I think that’s why leadership read “The Way of Kings” to be in a better position to bond a spren to be resistant to unmade influence.

Ba-Ado-Mishram (BAM) 

as far as we know the smartest of the unmade with abilities to “connect” with the singers 

A commander in the war and possibly led the troops when odium couldn’t. I think the roll is now taken by the everstorm in a smaller capacity.

Chemoarish 

nothing is known for certain 

Dai-Gonarthis 

Steals emotions. Especially guilt it seems

Maybe to pacify conquer people. Or to make champions of people especially ones that have excessive guilt.

Moelach 

Mr.death rattles 

This is the one I was thinking of that started this post. I think the death rattles were used to clog up the future vision for honor and/or cultivation. Possibly giving them information to manipulate them. 

Nergaoul 

The thrill 

possibly used to intensify the battles to unsettle the radiants who were immune to the effects. 

Re-shephir 

The midnight mother 

Most likely used to wipe out small towns as seen in Dalinar visions or maybe to handle battles where there wasn’t any radiants 

Sja-anat 

the corrupter/enlightener of spren

most like used to turn spren to odiums side wile using them as scouts  

Yelig-nar 

Can do all 10 surges 

most likely an assassin creature or a champion used to turn the tide in battles. Seems like a one man army 

2 hours ago, Master Silver said:

Going off of how unmade are made and what has happened to the heralds. We should try to guess what the unmade used to do before they were unmade. 

That is one theory especially sense odium seems more bent on  corrupting Other magic system 

5 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

for the midnight mother I think she and her people were used as shock troopers.

That’s a good idea wonder why we haven’t seen much more of her lately 

7 minutes ago, Rg2045 said:

That is one theory especially sense odium seems more bent on  corrupting Other magic system 

We know when a Shard creates something it sort of ties them down. I wonder if it is more cost effective to just corrupt other magic systems instead of creating things and agents.

37 minutes ago, Rg2045 said:

yeah, I dunno. this probably is going to mean something... what did Shallan do? 

Nice theory! I don't think I've seen all of the Unmade's purposes compiled together like this

Not very well evidenced, but a theory about Chemoarish I've seen thrown around:

• The title of Dustmother is very reminiscent of Dustbringer, which is Chanarach's order
  • Per WOB, the Davar household was influenced by one of the Unmade at some point
  • There is increasing evidence that Chana is Shallan's order

Therefore, that the reason the Davar Household is so screwed up is due to the influence of Chemoarish, who has some sort of emotional manipulation ability like Dai-Gonarthis or Ashertmarn. Not exactly sure what emotions are manipulated specifically, but interesting IMO

55 minutes ago, CrypticSpren said:

Nice theory! I don't think I've seen all of the Unmade's purposes compiled together like this

Not very well evidenced, but a theory about Chemoarish I've seen thrown around:

• The title of Dustmother is very reminiscent of Dustbringer, which is Chanarach's order
  • Per WOB, the Davar household was influenced by one of the Unmade at some point
  • There is increasing evidence that Chana is Shallan's order

Therefore, that the reason the Davar Household is so screwed up is due to the influence of Chemoarish, who has some sort of emotional manipulation ability like Dai-Gonarthis or Ashertmarn. Not exactly sure what emotions are manipulated specifically, but interesting IMO

I searched around for it but found nothing so I started the discussion.

I thought that Dia-Gonarthis was the one tormenting the Davar family 

or maybe it bonded shallans mother sense we know the unmade can bond with people 

Now that you say it, it does seem plausible that Dai-Gonarthis was in the Davar family. I think we can be pretty confident that Dai-Gonarthis is now somehow involved with Moash, but I suppose there isn't evidence for Dai-Gonarthis being anywhere else at the time of Shallan's childhood.

Ah well, I guess we really do know nothing about Chemoarish then.

Not sure what you mean about the unmade bonding with people though - do you mean specifically Yelig-nar with Aesudan and Amaram? I think that's unique to Yelig-nar, as we haven't seen any other Unmade do something similar.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:02 AM, Master Silver said:

Going off of how unmade are made and what has happened to the heralds. We should try to guess what the unmade used to do before they were unmade. 

Yes, and correct me if I’m wrong but the sprens of Roshar and its inhabitants before Honor’s and Cultivation’s settlement were already there. It’s safe to assume that the Unmade before their unmaking were also one of these natives. I’ll go as far as to say that they were once important sprens similar to the Stormfather, Nightwatcher and the Sibling before they were heavily Invested. They were beings that weren’t heavily influenced by both Honor and Cultivation during the switching of gods to Odium by the natives. They were most likely obligated to go with the Singers and their cause, whatever that may be at that time. Thus, unmaking them to further support Odium’s efforts to defeat Honor and Cultivation. Corrupting them in a way of inverting their original powers or some sort of a twisted yet still similar and amplified effects. I’m sure they played important roles during the Desolations and to assume the powers of those we haven’t heard of yet is fun yet counterproductive. Anyway, I mostly agree with the assumptions above. 

Edited by Truthwatcher94

14 minutes ago, Truthwatcher94 said:

Yes, and correct me if I’m wrong but the sprens of Roshar and its inhabitants before Honor’s and Cultivation’s settlement were already there. It’s safe to assume that the Unmade before their unmaking were also one of these natives. I’ll go as far as to say that they were once important sprens similar to the Stormfather, Nightwatcher and the Sibling before they were heavily Invested. They were beings that weren’t heavily influenced by both Honor and Cultivation during the switching of gods to Odium by the natives. They were most likely obligated to go with the Singers and their cause, whatever that may be at that time. Thus, unmaking them to further support Odium’s efforts to defeat Honor and Cultivation. Corrupting them in a way of inverting their original powers or some sort of a twisted yet still similar and amplified effects. I’m sure they played important roles during the Desolations and to assume the powers of those we haven’t heard of yet is fun yet counterproductive. Anyway, I mostly agree with the assumptions above. 

I’m unsure about the nightwatcher but the stormfather was created before the shattering 

and the sibling was created by cultivation and honor via RoW to face against odium. 

I think the Unmade were likely far less significant spren in their original forms... Re-Shephir is described as basically a twisted creationspren, so I'd expect them to be supercharged, Odium-infused versions of "ordinary" spren. Nergaoul might be derived from an angerspren, Ashertmarn from an alespren, etc.

Maybe not all of them, though. I am not sure what common spren would correspond with Death Rattles (Moelach) or possessing someone and granting Surges (Yelig-nar)... though Yelignar is called Blightwind, maybe he's derived from a windspren? And maybe Moelach comes from whatever the Truthwatcher's Shardplate spren is?

Ba-Ado-Mishram was apparently an important commander even before the False Desolation.  The mindless ones like Nergaoul and Ashertmarn were probably used much as we see them in Oathbringer, to mess with human forces' emotions.

• 2 weeks later...