Soul bearer hemalurgist

What happens to a spike if a power is stored into a nicrosil mind?   

Could someone with access to bunches of healing and F Nicrosil get their hands on a single atium spike then go on a rampage spiking out a power from another person only to store it and then use the same spike to steal another power and so on?   

What about with biochromatic breath?  I had this idea of a soul bearer finding themselves on Nalthis with a single spike taking breath from those who took breath(though would it be nicrosil spike or atium spike to steal breath??). 

Basically Dexter Morgan of Nalthis baiting horrible people into trying to take your breath only to spike um and store their breath away into a nicrosil mind and then have a nice fresh spike to do it again.  

Most likely the spike would not permanently lose its Hemalurgic charge, as Feruchemical nicrosil doesn't permanently remove your powers. You may, however, be able to use Feruchemical nicrosil combined with Feruchemical aluminum and other powers gained via Hemalurgy to store another power gained through Hemalurgy, then remove the spikes while healing yourself with some type of investiture, allowing yourself to access those powers without relying on a Hemalurgic spike that would weaken your soul.

5 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Most likely the spike would not permanently lose its Hemalurgic charge, as Feruchemical nicrosil doesn't permanently remove your powers. You may, however, be able to use Feruchemical nicrosil combined with Feruchemical aluminum and other powers gained via Hemalurgy to store another power gained through Hemalurgy, then remove the spikes while healing yourself with some type of investiture, allowing yourself to access those powers without relying on a Hemalurgic spike that would weaken your soul.

I thought there was a WoB out now that said nicrosil is more like copper feruchemy where you take the thing and put it in there and then lose that power.  You aren't storing it for the temporary use like you do other metals.  You are storing the ability itself and then tapping into the ability itself.  

Hence the idea that nicrosil compounding may not be as busted as once thought. 

23 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I thought there was a WoB out now that said nicrosil is more like copper feruchemy where you take the thing and put it in there and then lose that power.  You aren't storing it for the temporary use like you do other metals.  You are storing the ability itself and then tapping into the ability itself.  

If that was the case, then you'd never run out of F-nicrosil when using a medallion. It would be a complete transferal of power from the storer to you.

3 hours ago, Nameless said:

If that was the case, then you'd never run out of F-nicrosil when using a medallion. It would be a complete transferal of power from the storer to you.

I believe that copperminds will still fade over time as you use them.  So it could easily be said that nicrosil feruchemy will fade over time but that it is a full transferal right?  When storing a memory do you not lose access to that memory without the metalmind?   Does a feruchemist who studies and stores languages require their metalmind to continue speaking the language or do they retain all of their knowledge of the language that they gained while actively storing their learnings?  Do they lose the knowledge of a word once it is used once or is it a gradual decay that spans many many uses in the future or does it stay constant in the metalmind but while not tapping it is not a knowledge you possess?  I feel like this WoB may give us more of a look into how nicrosil works.  We still don't know if the bands nicrosil was running out or simply all of the other stored metals. 

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

Back to hemalurgy if it works like a memory then wouldn't you be left with a blank and empty spike once you have stored the ability that said spike held?  

18 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I feel like this WoB may give us more of a look into how nicrosil works.  We still don't know if the bands nicrosil was running out or simply all of the other stored metals.

That WoB seems innacurate to me, because we do know that the Bands were running out of nicrosil. Wax specifically thinks to himself that the parts of them that changed his levels of investiture were running low.

I think there may be (probably is) a difference between the Southern Scadrian medallion technology, vs. the 'normal' use of nicrosil Feruchemy.

Someone doesn't have to be a nicrosil Ferring to "tap" a medallion, and they don't actively "store" the power back into the medallion to stop using it - just breaking contact does that (whereas with a coppermind, the memory would stay in your mind unless you actively re-store it). It's kind of like the medallion becomes part of the person while in contact?

I don't think normal medallions do run out of nicrosil/Investiture.

But I don't think the Bands are a medallion in the same sense as the Southern Scadrian ones, or maybe they include a medallion to give the initial nicrosil power and then a 'normal' nicrosilmind (plus all the other metalminds)?