Shades Infecting Fused?

Trusk'our

What would happen if a Fused without sufficient Voidlight to heal themselves was touched by a Threnodite Shade?

Would they still return as a Cognitive Shadow that could possess Singer bodies? Or would they become more like a standard Shade, unable to think or do much aside from infecting others?

If they could still be reborn as a functioning Fused normally would, would they gain a kind of withering touch, or other qualities?

6 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

What would happen if a Fused without sufficient Voidlight to heal themselves was touched by a Threnodite Shade?

Would they still return as a Cognitive Shadow that could possess Singer bodies? Or would they become more like a standard Shade, unable to think or do much aside from infecting others?

If they could still be reborn as a functioning Fused normally would, would they gain a kind of withering touch, or other qualities?

That's a... really good question actually

I would guess that not much would happen since they're already cognitive shadows?

having said that i have no idea

Just now, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

they could be consumed by the shade and merge the consciences.

Shades dont absorb the consciousness of the person they kill

although there is a possibility that the shade created by the fused would be conscious

shades arent sentient right? i personally think thats because they dont have enough investiture each, which also sorta explains why its easier to make more shades

fused are already cognitive shadows and already have a lot of investiture, so maybe it would be a sentient shade with a fused's mind

Its possible that the shades would find it difficult to affect the Fused, even when they're low on voidlight, since being cognitive shadows, the Fused are inherently infused with investiture (made of investiture? They're investiture fossils. Whatever, my point stands) and thus they have a decent level of resistance to outside investiture. Now, I'm not saying they'd be immune to shades, just that the process would probably be more violent that what normally happens. It would, quite probably, be similar to what Raboniel was trying to do to the Sibling. Basically, the shades would probably unmake the Fused. Now what exactly that means, I'm not sure. But I doubt the results would be pleasant.

Investiture-interference resistance might well make the Fused immune. Or it might kill the singer body, but the Fused Cognitive Shadow would go on to be reborn as normal (IMO the likeliest result... the Fused is already a Shadow).

I kind of doubt shades are strong enough to overcome/transform the Fused Shadow (Zahel/Vasher considers them very strong Cognitive Shadows), but if so .. it might depend on why shades are mindless.

If they are just pulled into the Physical Realm "wrong" like Syl before she established a full bond with Kaladin (my guess), then the Fused might be restored as soon as it found a new singer body (if it retained enough mind to try).

If the Cognitive Aspect itself is actually damaged, though, it would presumably remain mindless.