Lost Metal Chapter 2 Spoilers: The what medallion?

Elsecaller_17.5

So in case you missed it (you probably didn't), Brandon dropped the Lost Metal chapter 1 and at least part of chapter 2. Here you go just in case. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/479/#e15385 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSMVG7agYjE

Brandon keeps talking about this *silver* medallion. Silver? What is that supposed to be? It could be a capital M Medallion with silvery nicrosil, but why wouldn't he just say nicrosil? Is it a badge of office? A heavy handed reminder that he's a coinshot?
Its important enough to be a "proof" that the bill shouldn't pass. Letters from the outer cities and proof of corruption of Senator Maelstrom (sp?) clearly serve that purpose, but what is the medallion, what is it prooving?

11 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

So in case you missed it (you probably didn't), Brandon dropped the Lost Metal chapter 1 and at least part of chapter 2. Here you go just in case. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/479/#e15385 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSMVG7agYjE

Brandon keeps talking about this *silver* medallion. Silver? What is that supposed to be? It could be a capital M Medallion with silvery nicrosil, but why wouldn't he just say nicrosil? Is it a badge of office? A heavy handed reminder that he's a coinshot?
Its important enough to be a "proof" that the bill shouldn't pass. Letters from the outer cities and proof of corruption of Senator Maelstrom (sp?) clearly serve that purpose, but what is the medallion, what is it prooving?

I think it's a reminder that he, Waxillium, brought them medallions and access to south Scadrial.

13 minutes ago, Nameless said:

I think it's a reminder that he, Waxillium, brought them medallions and access to south Scadrial.

But why not use an actual medallion then? It makes sense for himi to keep his coppermind from Hoid secret, but he was given (I believe) a ironmind and brassmind medallion at the end of BoM.

Just now, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

But why not use an actual medallion then? It makes sense for himi to keep his coppermind from Hoid secret, but he was given (I believe) a ironmind and brassmind medallion at the end of BoM.

Well, it could be an actual medallion. Brandon could've messed up and said silver instead of tin. Or it could be a silvery medallion, such as nircrosil. Or the medallion would have come into play later in the chapter, after the point at which Brandon stopped reading.

Well, what the extremely organized Steris goes over with Wax in sequence as "proof one, two, and three" are presumably the three things he physically produces during his speech: the silvery medallion he flips in the air, the thick sheaf of papers that are the letters from the leaders of the Outer Cities showing willing to peacefully work out a new,  more balanced political structure for the Basin, and the thinly folded two sheets of paper that are the incriminating payoff letters to the governor from Houses Hasting and Erikell.

Which means yes, the medallion is meant as his leadoff cue, to reinforce the memory of his role in the events from six years earlier - that he personally acquired the freaking Bands of Mourning, and introduced a kind of first contact between the Malwish and the Basin, while averting open conflict between the outer cities and Elendel. His bona fides of having the best interest of the Basin in mind, given his Roughs lawman background as well as House Lord in Elendel, and not being in it for his own gain, are beyond question.

The second is meant to persuade the senators that an invitation to work in common with the still unhappy outer cities is an open door, and a better way to achieve unity than a domination play...

And the third is to show the corrupt rationale for the governor's pushing the "domination play" (spank them like a parent spanks a child!).

Game, set, match.

What the nature of the medallion is - is that the Hoid coppermind coin? One of the other two medallions given to him by Jordis, for heat and Connection? - is not specified, but I assume it's Hoid's coin because the other two came with straps. The coppermind coin was thrown at his head at Lady Kelesina's gates :D.

Edited by robardin

34 minutes ago, robardin said:

What the nature of the medallion is - is that the Hoid coppermind coin? One of the other two medallions given to him by Jordis, for heat and Connection? - is not specified, but I assume it's Hoid's coin because the other two came with straps. The coppermind coin was thrown at his head at Lady Kelesina's gates :D.

Yeah, but is clearly and directly stated that this medalion is silver. Not copper, not nicrosil, not duralumin.

Wax made a very clear efford that medalion will be noticed by Malwian Ambassador. So this is message primarly to her, like "remember im on your side here". So I think this medalion is something from South. But dont need to be magical medalion. After all, nothing forces Southerners to make their Medalions as, well, medalions, and not braclets, chains, or even collars.So maybe medalions have cultural meaning for Southerners (equaly to masks) and they give one cultural, traditional one to Wax.

11 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Yeah, but is clearly and directly stated that this medalion is silver. Not copper, not nicrosil, not duralumin.

Wax made a very clear efford that medalion will be noticed by Malwian Ambassador. So this is message primarly to her, like "remember im on your side here". So I think this medalion is something from South. But dont need to be magical medalion. After all, nothing forces Southerners to make their Medalions as, well, medalions, and not braclets, chains, or even collars.So maybe medalions have cultural meaning for Southerners (equaly to masks) and they give one cultural, traditional one to Wax.

Fair enough, it could literally be a mundane silver medallion - made of silver, which is not of the Metallic Arts - rather then just silver in color. Denoting some kind of honor from either the Basin or the Malwish for his actions, most likely.

If it's a metalmind he got in BoM, though, it's the one from Hoid; I can't see him removing a Malwish one from the straps they come with and tossing it around like a lucky charm. And the nicrosil in it had been described as "silvery".

Either way, I'm wondering what he's done with the information from that medallion in the past six years, that the Sovereign revered in the Southern Hemisphere, who traveled there after the Catacendre, was the Survivor Kelsier predominantly worshipped in the Basin... It's the sort of theological bombshell he might have to be careful with, especially as a Pathian.

14 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

I guess it is a show piece made to be seen, hence it is made out of extra shiny silver. It does not need to be the genuine thing. It does its job even if some people see that it is a replica.

14 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

It does remind the other senators what is at stake in the sense of what an armed conflict within the Basin would mean now. His colleagues are selfish, shortsighted and corrupt, but not actually stupid. They wish to ignore reality. They are not incapable of understanding it.

14 hours ago, robardin said:

Either way, I'm wondering what he's done with the information from that medallion in the past six years, that the Sovereign revered in the Southern Hemisphere, who traveled there after the Catacendre, was the Survivor Kelsier predominantly worshipped in the Basin... It's the sort of theological bombshell he might have to be careful with, especially as a Pathian.

It raises one extremely big question. He must now suspect that Kelsier left more records or artifacts or may have survived to the present day.

So this suggest an obvious task: contact Kelsier

28 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

It raises one extremely big question. He must now suspect that Kelsier left more records or artifacts or may have survived to the present day.

So this suggest an obvious task: contact Kelsier

Does it, though? I mean, does it suggest to "contact The Survivor" (even as a Pathian he's probably not going to be on a first name basis, LOL)?

If Kelsier had returned to the world physically after the Catacendre... Why did he go to the Southern Hemisphere and not the Basin? Wouldn't he at least have popped in to see his old crew? We know he did appear, literally, to Spook, but Wax doesn't. So to him, that should seem like a big red flag that whatever he was up to, he didn't want the people in the Basin to know about it.

And what did Breeze, Ham, etc., know? Certainly that fact didn't creep into Survivorist doctrine, since saying "Kelsier will RETURN!" followed by "...and then he did, just 10-15 years after the Catacendre!" would be huge. And if Breeze did know, it must have been a very closely guarded secret not to be "in the family lore", as Wax doesn't know. (Or maybe it was, and Edwarn took steps to keep it to himself?)

11 minutes ago, robardin said:

Does it, though? I mean, does it suggest to "contact The Survivor" (even as a Pathian he's probably not going to be on a first name basis, LOL)?

Yes. The worst outcome is a failure without further consequences. Wax asked the question why the Lord Ruler would make the Bands and hence doubted their existence. As the Survivor made them, that question is wide open and, the Bands being usable as a potent weapon, potentially vital. 

If Kelsier had returned to the world physically after the Catacendre... Why did he go to the Southern Hemisphere and not the Basin? Wouldn't he at least have popped in to see his old crew? We know he did appear, literally, to Spook, but Wax doesn't.

We have no idea of the full content of the coin Wax got from Hoid, nor do we know what Wax determined about the reason he got it.

So to him, that should seem like a big red flag that whatever he was up to, he didn't want the people in the Basin to know about it.

That contains an assumption about Kelsier being free in his actions. Given the state of relations between Waxillium and Harmony I am not sure that Wax would make that assumption.

And what did Breeze, Ham, etc., know? Certainly that fact didn't creep into Survivorist doctrine, since saying "Kelsier will RETURN!" followed by "...and then he did, just 10-15 years after the Catacendre!" would be huge. And if Breeze did know, it must have been a very closely guarded secret not to be "in the family lore", as Wax doesn't know. (Or maybe it was, and Edwarn took steps to keep it to himself?)

That is a potential reason Harmony was not keen on the idea.

• Chaos locked this topic