does adanolsium have a metal?

Stormlit-man

We look to Scadrial and see that both ruin and preservation have metals that embody them, Odium also has a metal that appears on Roshar. If Odium can have a metal while not on Scadrial then one could conclude that all of the shards have their own metals that either haven't yet or won't be revealed. My question then comes to could you create a metal for Adonalsium by mixing equal parts of all of the shards metals together and also what properties might Adonalsium's metal posses, I think that It might posses way to reshape the cosmere in some way as we know it.

I think that Adonalsium does have a metal. However, a WoB says that Harmonium is not an Atium Lerasium alloy, but would still produce the same effect. So, you could theoretically create a metal that does the same thing as Adonalsiumium (what I'm calling it), but it wouldn't technically be that metal.

There was a WoB that said as a general rule a Shard being destroyed or split or combined into another doesn't affect reserves of already existing pieces of its God Metal in the world. So I'm pretty confident that there's a bunch of Adonalsiumium around. I also have a feeling a lot of it is on Yolen.

For the longest time I thought Adonalsium's god metal was aluminum, but then Brando said that soulcasting can't produce god metals (but can produce aluminum) so that hypothesis is dead haha.

On 1/12/2022 at 0:07 PM, Mazman said:

I think that Adonalsium does have a metal. However, a WoB says that Harmonium is not an Atium Lerasium alloy, but would still produce the same effect. So, you could theoretically create a metal that does the same thing as Adonalsiumium (what I'm calling it), but it wouldn't technically be that metal.

No, that WoB says that an Atium-Lerasium alloy would produce the same effect post-Harmony as it did pre-Harmony. Not that it would have the same effect as Harmonium.

@apepi I feel like that doesn't work with this:

Volratho

What happens to god metals when a Shard is Splintered?

Brandon Sanderson

God metals are unaffected.

Volratho

And atium and lerasium stayed unaffected when they merged?

Brandon Sanderson

Lerasium and atium that existed before were unaffected.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

6 minutes ago, CryoZenith said:

@apepi I feel like that doesn't work with this:

I mean maybe? But Adanolsium splintering is unlike the other splinterings that I think we have seen(with the dawnshards?), so that doesn't mean that much to me. Also the metal could have been like this before hand.

2 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

HOLD UP...

What if Adonalsium IS the name of the metal....

atIUM lerasIUM raiseIUM AdonalsIUM....

:huh:

Yeah, I saw that too when I was writing my post, so I just called it Adonalsium's metal. It's probably just a funny little coincidence though, but it's possible I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Humble_Knight said:

Does anyone know what a hypothetical nal glyph means? If I take it as some synonym of "order", based on Nale's cultural context, Adonalsium could be roughly translated as Metal of Light's Order, which would be a cool way to think of God. 

Oooh, this is a very cool idea, especially if we operate on the assumption that rosharan humans are descendents of Yolen humans (through Ashyn) all the Glyphs would need to have held their meanings for a lonnnnng time though.

3 hours ago, Humble_Knight said:

Does anyone know what a hypothetical nal glyph means? If I take it as some synonym of "order", based on Nale's cultural context, Adonalsium could be roughly translated as Metal of Light's Order, which would be a cool way to think of God. 

Or maybe Adonalsium's name doesn't have any mechanically relevant meaning for the Cosmere, but is rather just inspired from the name Adonai (which is one of the names by which God goes in the Old Testament).

6 hours ago, CryoZenith said:

Or maybe Adonalsium's name doesn't have any mechanically relevant meaning for the Cosmere, but is rather just inspired from the name Adonai (which is one of the names by which God goes in the Old Testament).

It certainly has some meaning, given Ado is both the glyph for light and the Aon for light. If you read the foreword for the anniversary Elantris edition, Ado has been in Brandon's head a long time

1 hour ago, ShardlessVessel said:

Aon Ashe is light, not Ado. There isn't an Aon Ado in the book.

This is why I should look things up before talking. The fact that Ado is a glyph is still a fact, and Elantris was still originally named Adonis, before writing group got really confused.

Looking up the Aons did show that the Aon for metal or gold is Deo, which supports the idea of metal as god. Deo means "to God" in latin. 

Koravellium is also what we would probably call her god-metal, which is an interesting side point to this. We see her referred to as Koravelli some places too. It could be that some dragons are identified by their steel, and so Adonalsium is a draconic way to refer to god.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:39 PM, CryoZenith said:

I always took it as inspired by Adonai + Elysium (one of the ancient Greek paradises).