My guess on the excisors

Trusk'our

I’m not 100% certain as to what they are and so I could be entirely wrong, but I’d venture to assume that they are merely unsealed metalminds that contain the necessary powers to compound, thus allowing one to use them to create more unsealed metalminds by manipulating Identity and Investiture Feruchemically. I would also not be surprised to find out that when the Sovereign gave these to the Southern Scadrians, he deliberately gave them multiple metalminds, but that each only had access to a few abilities in them, limiting their potential to create more powerful and dangerous medallions, similar to the Bands of Mourning.

2 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

IMO, excisors are Hemalurgic spikes, or some technological derivation of Hemalurgy (possibly a non-fatal one).

"Excise" means "to cut out", which fits Hemalurgy "cutting out" powers/abilities/Investiture from others. Compounding doesn't cut anything out.

That would make sense if that were the case. I, personally, am quite exited to see what they really are when The Lost Metal finally comes out.

14 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

IMO, excisors are Hemalurgic spikes, or some technological derivation of Hemalurgy (possibly a non-fatal one).

"Excise" means "to cut out", which fits Hemalurgy "cutting out" powers/abilities/Investiture from others. Compounding doesn't cut anything out.

Yep, thats was also my first thought. That they are Hemalurgic Spikes with Allomantic Nicrosil, Feruchemical Nicrosil and Feruchemical Duralumin, and place for Nicrosil metalmind, placed on specific stationary "stative" to allow proper placement of spikes.

• 2 weeks later...

These WOB's makes me think the issue is needing a combination of Allomantic and Feruchemical abilities within the same person for some Compounding trick required, where it would take Hemalurgy or a convoluted series of step with spiritual Feruchemy to make it work.

That makes me think an Excisor is what they call any such person that has the right combination of Powers.  Id say the "the right Twinborn" except I think it takes more than 2 powers, making it not a naturally occuring possibility, which is why it would have been so hard in Era 1 unless they used Hemalurgy, even with full Mistborn and Feruchemist running around.  

Yata

If you have 32 Misting and Ferring, every kind possible, without using Hemalurgy, you can craft a medallion? Without the aftermath of the--

Brandon Sanderson

So could you craft a medallion... without-- oh. That should be possible, but this is one of the things where I have to dig out the notes and double-check myself. But this should be possible.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Mojonero

Back before the Final Ascension, if you had a full Feruchemist and a Mistborn, both with access and knowledge of all 16 metals, could they make medallions without the use of Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

If they knew what to do maybe. Much easier with Hemalurgy - but it would be possible.

Dragonsteel Mini-Con 2021 (Nov. 22, 2021)

Pod

*Written* How many people are intentionally killed in the process of creating a typical medallion? 

Brandon Sanderson

*Written* Not as many as you think. 

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

5 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Can you prime a primer cube with hemalurgy instead of allomancy/feruchemy? :huh:

I have no idea. I'd tend to think not as you don't actively "use" Hemalurgy in any way equivalent to burning/tapping, but who knows... maybe if you hold a primer cube next to a koloss or a kandra with the Blessing of Potency while it's exercising (actively using its enhanced strength), it would charge up with Hemalurgic strength?

I was more thinking something like a precise, technologically-assisted version of hemalurgy that allows you to remove only the power-granting bit of spiritweb without piercing the heart (thus not killing the original power donor) and possibly then healing up the power donor with a medallion granting f-Gold.

Although, on further thought, what about this?

- Start with one natural power (say f-Brass)

- Use hemalurgic spikes (the Excisors) to gain f-Nicrosil, a-Nicrosil, and f-Aluminum

- Store your natural f-Brass power in a Nicrosilmind, then burn it to Compound, so you now have multiple times normal Investiture in f-Brass; store that in a new Nicrosilmind

- Blank your Identity with f-Aluminum then tap the now over-charged f-Brass Investiture, then store it in multiple Identity-blank Nicrosilminds, each containing the equivalent Investiture of one normal Brass Ferring

- Pass the spikes to the next person with a different power...

That way it took 3 deaths* to get the process started, but not new deaths per medallion, explaining the "Not as many as you think" WoB.

*maybe, perhaps there is another way to "fake" a Hemalurgic charge - there wouldn't have been Feruchemists available, I wouldn't think.