What the Cosmere makes me feel - An essay, of sorts.

Elf

Ok, so I don't know whether this goes here or in "General Brandon Discussion" But, lets take a chance shall we? Because I needed to say this to people who would understand.

The Cosmere has affected me in a way that no other book series has or ever will. I can truthfully say that who I am today is mostly because of Vin, and Kelsier, and Kaladin and so many others. Sometimes I'll be doing nothing and a tragic scene from one of the books will come in my head, and I'll want to cry. Or I'll remember something hilarious and burst out laughing in the middle of the street. (All my friends think I'm crazy). (I don't really mind).

Oh, storms the Cosmere. How can I even describe these books? I'll probably have a heart attack someday because of them, but it will be so worth it. I love books to levels that could be called extreme or obssesive. (As I am sure everyone on this site does). (People say it like its a bad thing to be obsessed with books).( But those people will never know the joy of realising that the protagonist isn't defeated yet. Or the pain when a dear character dies). (Both joy and misery are important). (Because its the pain that makes the good times all the more better).

So all books feel like home to me, (and us), but the Cosmere, it feels like something...more. It feels like warming yourself with hot chocolate on a cool winter day, while wearing your favourite sweater. It feels like curling up in your favorite chair with an amazing book, knowing you have no other work to do. It feels like cozying up in a clean, freshly made bed after a tiring day.

I am old enough to know that magic doesn't exist. But when I think about the Cosmere, I feel almost certain that it does. (For what could those books be, but magic?)

Thank you, Brandon Sanderson, for creating this truly unique universe, and for bringing together this truly wonderful community of booknerds from all over the world. I will be forever grateful.

Edited by Elf

• 4 weeks later...

That was almost poetry. I have to say that I feel the same way, boy I could never put it was beautifully as you! My friends all laugh at me and call me crazy when I try to tell them about the book I'm currently reading, especially if it's a Cosmere one, because they can't understand what it's like to be that invested in a book.

The characters become your friends and it is truly heartbreaking when one is them dies. Even though the magic doesn't fade during a re-read (one of the best parts of the Cosmere), it's never the same after you know one of the characters dies. 

In this sense, I can say that I am proud to be a book nerd because it allows me to experience something so wonderful.

Edited by Ookla the Theoretical
I had more to say

Oh, thank you! I honestly thought no one would reply to this so I haven't checked for replies since I posted it. But thank you so much for your words :D 

And yes nobody except a fellow book nerd will understand the connection you form with a book.  How that world becomes your everything. You are absolutely right; the magic will never fade. But experiencing some a second time (no matter how wonderful that thing) is never as potent as the first time. I am proud too to be a book nerd becuase of exactly that you said.

Franz Kafka once said- We only ought to read the kind of books that stab and wound you.

I agree because those are among the best kinds of books. But there's more than that. Some books don't just stab and wound you. Some shatter your heart into a million little pieces and then put it back together all differently. And then your heart is never the same as it was before.

But that's a good thing. It allows you to think different, see different, feel different. Colors become brighter. Ideas that were closed off before become more approachable, Understanding, empathy, becomes sharper. It makes you into the best possible version of yourself; it makes you the you that you were always meant to be. 

What do you think @Ookla the Theoretical? Am I being overdramatic or do you agree? 

Edited by Elf

No, not overdramatic! Three things:

One, that is an amazing quote. I relate to it on so many levels. I absolutely refuse to read any book that doesn't have compelling characters, or an interesting plot, or some kind of evil twist by the author. Books aren't worth it if they don't make you feel simultaneously horrified and elated as something happens. What you said is so true; you are never the same after reading a good book. 

Two, I could never live without a book. It's true that a fellow book nerd will be the only one that can truly understand you, but I think that it goes further that. When you read a good book series, are really invested in it, probably reread it, and then spend the next few weeks thinking about nothing else, you get to know the characters better than any of your real friends (at least in my case, but I hate talking to most real people). When you spend time in a character's head like that, you really start to understand them. Especially if they are well written enough that they seem like real people. 

Three, I think that books actually make me a better person. 

7 hours ago, Elf said:

Understanding, empathy, becomes sharper. It makes you into the best possible version of yourself; it makes you the you that you were always meant to be. 

This is so true! I can't be the only person that tested as an Elsecaller for the Knights Radiant test and instantly started thinking what my ideals of self improvement would be! Book characters are often larger than life, at least when their arcs are finished, so reading those books inspires me to be better. People get very confused when they ask who my role models are and I respond with Vin, Navani, Adolin, Raoden, or other characters from books. And not always Sanderson characters! Those book characters become your heroes and your inspiration. I can't (and don't really want to) imagine who I would be without the love that I have for books. 

This is beautiful, I almost started crying

On 12/15/2021 at 4:22 AM, Elf said:

So all books feel like home to me, (and us), but the Cosmere, it feels like something...more. It feels like warming yourself with hot chocolate on a cool winter day, while wearing your favourite sweater. It feels like curling up in your favorite chair with an amazing book, knowing you have no other work to do. It feels like cozying up in a clean, freshly made bed after a tiring day.

^^^ this part really got to me. I have a map of roshar on the wall by my reading nook (which has a beanbag and a small bookshelf) and it's right at eye level when I'm sitting down. A lot of times when i'm having a really rough time, looking at it and thinking of all the cosmere characters really cheers me up in a way other things don't. I'll take out bands of mourning and read an amusing wayne scene, or find an exiting part of WoR, and i'll just be happier. It works better than anything else. Even when i'm not sad, reading has the same affect as if i'd just had a super relaxing bath or something. It makes everything better :D

I am old enough to know that magic doesn't exist. But when I think about the Cosmere, I feel almost certain that it does. (For what could those books be, but magic?)

The cosmere may not be a physical place that we can reach by travel, but it's so real to me (and us!). I wholeheartedly agree that being able to open a book and have an entire universe come exploding out (figuratively, of course) is definitely a kind of magic. 

This is so beautiful, it's inspiring me to make my own hah. Would you be ok if i maybe copied you (just the idea, of course, i won't just copy and paste this in a new topic lmao)?

Spoiler

Crap now i'm actually crying ;-;

Oh yeah sure! Go ahead! It's always nice to inspire people. 

I agree with everything you said. Reading is a kind of magic that can't be replicated by anything else. And the Cosmere is something extra special. I am so so glad that I read this book series.

You have a map of Roshar? So lucky :lol:

Edited by Elf

I really did enjoy and identify with what you (both) said, this part most of all:

... all books feel like home to me, (and us), but the Cosmere, it feels like something...more.

Every time a new Cosmere story comes out, I get a feeling of anticipation, as if "oh, I finally get to go HOME again for a while!"  Brandon's worlds feel more like home to me than any place in this crappy so-called "real" world.  How can we be homesick for a place we've never been, and doesn't even really exist?

Books ARE magic.

8 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

I really did enjoy and identify with what you (both) said, this part most of all:

Every time a new Cosmere story comes out, I get a feeling of anticipation, as if "oh, I finally get to go HOME again for a while!"  Brandon's worlds feel more like home to me than any place in this crappy so-called "real" world.  How can we be homesick for a place we've never been, and doesn't even really exist?

Books ARE magic.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought something along the lines of "I hate my life, it's so boring, why can't it be like [insert fantasy novel here]"

I agree with all of this. nearly got me crying too. @Elf thankyou for this topic!!! the sad thing is that the cosmere will eventually end. luckily it will end in 39 years or so, which both scares me and excites me, I will get to read them as they come out into my fifties or sixties, which is kind of insane. 

On 12/15/2021 at 2:22 AM, Elf said:

The Cosmere has affected me in a way that no other book series has or ever will.

This is among one of the truest things ever said. 

It has impacted me on a spiritual level. 

Before I read Brandon Sanderson, I had a very low vocabulary, I was slow of speaking and I wasn't really passionate about anything. My words still come slowly but I actually have words to use! And now, I actually like words. I think its fun learning new and interesting words. And the Cosmere has been a burning passion of mine ever since.

I remember Reckoners was the first Brando Sando I read, and upon finishing it, It made me cry. No other author has ever pulled such a raw emotion out of me before. I knew he was different. And a year-ish later I had read all of his books. Stormlight 4 made me cry the hardest though.

Spoiler

This was a really simplified version of this story. 

21 hours ago, Frustration said:

I can't tell you how many times I've thought something along the lines of "I hate my life, it's so boring, why can't it be like [insert fantasy novel here]"

So true. My parents consistently get annoyed at me for getting lost in fantasies about books or living in books. They are just so much more interesting!

• 4 weeks later...