Lerasium Boost?

Prettycooolguy

Welcome to the Shard!

So Nicrosil and Duralumin don't actually increase the amount of power but instead compress all the power that is present into one instant. How strongly Lerasium makes you is solely dependent on the amount of Lerasium you are burning. So unless the Alomancer burning Lerasium knows how to use its true power, it probably wouldn't have an effect at all except turning the person into a Lerasium Mistborn

I wanted to answer this question the same as StanLemon did however I believe my understanding of exactly what lerasium does may be a bit muddied.  We are told a lerasium mistborn is more powerful than those mistborn who have had that genetic decay.  Even with all of the tricks we see Wax use with steel he still has less raw power than a coinshot from Vin's time.  Overtime would we see allomancy become more of a supportive role offering no truly gigantic boosts of power simply because it is being diluted so much?

The way I picture investiture (right or wrong and happy to have my mind changed) is as a row of water tanks with a lock over the tap.  People with abilities have the tanks associated with those abilities unlocked.  A thug only has the ability to tap the pewter tank.  A mistborn can tap all of them.  Each tank also has a different sized tap, and the ability to control how much that tap will let out at once.  Breeze demonstrated the importance of learning to control the amount of water from the tap to Vin when explaining how a subtle touch is often better for emotional allomancy.  Duralumin and Nicrosil take any tank that is currently being tapped and make it and the tap totally vanish and the water all escapes at once (though I believe a WoB described it more as an instant infinite loop that happens causing everything to be released at once).  Aluminum and chromium on the other hand appear to make the water disappear from every tank no matter if they are currently being tapped or not.  

Lerasium is simply the key that unlocks all of taps so you may use those tanks.  As for the amount of water in each tank (or the amount of investiture given by each molecule of a metal) is different for a lerasium mistborn.  I am myself a little bit confused by if your strength in allomancy is tied to the tap on the tank or the amount of water in said tank.  If a gram of pewter for Vin is providing a liter of water and that waters maximum flow rate is a L/min then 5 grams of pewter could be used in 5 minutes.  For Elend post lerasium does each gram of pewter provide the same liter that it does for vin but his tap is capable of doubling the flow rate allowing him to access all 5 grams of pewter in 2.5 minutes instead?  Perhaps Lerasium works from both ends both allowing for each gram of metal to be more water and allow for a larger tap.  In that case we could see Elend with those same 5 grams of pewter be able to produce 10liters in the 5 minutes at a 2l/min flow from the tank?  

Lerasium therefore only increases power based on how large the chunk of metal is.  The tank is filled based on the amount of lersium you have and the amount of lerasium you burn directly impacts how the other tanks operate (size of tap).  

I would say stormlight would work in the same analogy only that the tank has a few leaks making it impossible to be as efficient.  

Feruchemy has perfect control over the tap but doesn't use water and instead uses sweat... they have to make it and store it but the tank can be emptied at whatever rate they so choose once it has any sweat in it at all.  

First, eww to that last line.

Second, I think different people can get more/less from the same amount of a metal.  A Laresium Mistborn can take the same amount of metal as a Genetic Mistborn and get more power, longer.  They can pewterdrag longer on the same amount of pewter, running faster and with less side effects.  

The Metal used is just a catalyst, allowing the Allomancer to tap into Preservation's Power, filtered through the type of Metal used.  

To use your tank analogy, a Genetic Mistborn can access all the tanks, but nozzles have leaks that spray water in random directions when it's turned on, so less of the water gets into the cup.  The water pressure is lower because so much is being lost, and the tank will run dry pretty quick.  A Laresium Mistborn has fewer, if any, leaks in the nozzle, and so more of the water gets into the cup.  The water pressure is higher, and since there are no more leaks, it actually drains slower.  More efficient, lest waste.  Not only do they get more water, it also lasts longer because there's less waste.  

Edited by Tglassy

On 12/11/2021 at 6:15 PM, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

I wanted to answer this question the same as StanLemon did however I believe my understanding of exactly what lerasium does may be a bit muddied.  We are told a lerasium mistborn is more powerful than those mistborn who have had that genetic decay.  Even with all of the tricks we see Wax use with steel he still has less raw power than a coinshot from Vin's time.  Overtime would we see allomancy become more of a supportive role offering no truly gigantic boosts of power simply because it is being diluted so much?

The way I picture investiture (right or wrong and happy to have my mind changed) is as a row of water tanks with a lock over the tap.  People with abilities have the tanks associated with those abilities unlocked.  A thug only has the ability to tap the pewter tank.  A mistborn can tap all of them.  Each tank also has a different sized tap, and the ability to control how much that tap will let out at once.  Breeze demonstrated the importance of learning to control the amount of water from the tap to Vin when explaining how a subtle touch is often better for emotional allomancy.  Duralumin and Nicrosil take any tank that is currently being tapped and make it and the tap totally vanish and the water all escapes at once (though I believe a WoB described it more as an instant infinite loop that happens causing everything to be released at once).  Aluminum and chromium on the other hand appear to make the water disappear from every tank no matter if they are currently being tapped or not.  

Lerasium is simply the key that unlocks all of taps so you may use those tanks.  As for the amount of water in each tank (or the amount of investiture given by each molecule of a metal) is different for a lerasium mistborn.  I am myself a little bit confused by if your strength in allomancy is tied to the tap on the tank or the amount of water in said tank.  If a gram of pewter for Vin is providing a liter of water and that waters maximum flow rate is a L/min then 5 grams of pewter could be used in 5 minutes.  For Elend post lerasium does each gram of pewter provide the same liter that it does for vin but his tap is capable of doubling the flow rate allowing him to access all 5 grams of pewter in 2.5 minutes instead?  Perhaps Lerasium works from both ends both allowing for each gram of metal to be more water and allow for a larger tap.  In that case we could see Elend with those same 5 grams of pewter be able to produce 10liters in the 5 minutes at a 2l/min flow from the tank?  

Lerasium therefore only increases power based on how large the chunk of metal is.  The tank is filled based on the amount of lersium you have and the amount of lerasium you burn directly impacts how the other tanks operate (size of tap).  

I would say stormlight would work in the same analogy only that the tank has a few leaks making it impossible to be as efficient.  

Feruchemy has perfect control over the tap but doesn't use water and instead uses sweat... they have to make it and store it but the tank can be emptied at whatever rate they so choose once it has any sweat in it at all.  

Loved your explanation of the metallic arts :) 

By the way, how would you use this water tank visualization to explain how hemalurgy fits in? Or maybe awakening?

On 12/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Era 2 is as diluted as the genes will get.