Shadows of Self - Title Thoughts

leester1478

Didn't see any speculation about the significance of the title of the next Mistborn book, so I figured I would throw this out. "Shadow of self" is mentioned verbatim by a kandra in the First Generation while talking to Sazed about how Preservation imprisoned Ruin with his mind.

"Preservation's power remains, for power cannot be destroyed. His mind, however, was all but destroyed - for this was the sacrifice he made to imprison Ruin"

"The sliver remains," another reminded, "The shadow of self."

Any thoughts on this? No shards were harmed in the making of this book, I suspect, so I doubt it could refer to a similar cognitive "ghost" like what happened in the original Mistborn trilogy.

Brandon has actually been asked about this:

Questioner

My other question is about the phrase "Shadows of Self". It's mentioned in the last Mistborn book [...] so are we ever going to see the shadows in Shadows of Self?

Brandon Sanderson

We are not going-- Well yes and no. What it is referencing in this book is the different roles that each person plays in their life. That is the core meaning of "Shadows of Self". But there is also, there is a kandra involved, which they change shape and become different people, so "who are you?" and identity is a big thing.

(source)

"The sliver remains" is the interesting part of that quote to me. For TLR was called and officially termed by team Brandon as a Sliver. 

Is the Kandra discussing TLR as the Sliver of Preservation or the Cognitive Shadow left of Leras' mind post imprisonment? Could there possibly be 2 Slivers of the same Shard at the same time? 

• 2 weeks later...

I always assumed that Leras died when he created Ruin's prison. The mist ghost that remained was just a pale shadow of Leras' personality. Similar to the Stormfather I think. In any case, I don't think it can be termed a Sliver in the same way the Lord Ruler could be.

I always assumed that Leras died when he created Ruin's prison. The mist ghost that remained was just a pale shadow of Leras' personality. Similar to the Stormfather I think. In any case, I don't think it can be termed a Sliver in the same way the Lord Ruler could be.

If he was completely dead his body would've been dumped out ages ago. He'd be mostly dead at best.

Which sadly means we couldn't have checked the Mist Spirit's pockets for loose change :(

• Chaos locked this topic