Whose Investiture do airships store?

Oltux72

On a related note, let's call on the great theoretician @Argent on the question of Identity. Feruchemical iron is used differently in Southern Scadrian technology in that Investiture isn't tapped but stored. That raises a questions. Whose Identity is Investiture equivalent to the stored mass*time keyed to, if a machine stores it? Obvious possibilities

• the Feruchemist who made the machine
  • the Feruchemist who started it for the first time
  • it changes on every restart
  • nobody, it is anonymous

What do you think?

51 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

On a related note, let's call on the great theoretician @Argent on the question of Identity. Feruchemical iron is used differently in Southern Scadrian technology in that Investiture isn't tapped but stored. That raises a questions. Whose Identity is Investiture equivalent to the stored mass*time keyed to, if a machine stores it? Obvious possibilities

• the Feruchemist who made the machine
  • the Feruchemist who started it for the first time
  • it changes on every restart
  • nobody, it is anonymous

What do you think?

I think its Investiture of SailorFeruchemistEngeneer who switch Ship's F-Iron on (we know it is needet), but Identity is blanked when charging.

4 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

I think its Investiture of SailorFeruchemistEngeneer who switch Ship's F-Iron on (we know it is needet), but Identity is blanked when charging.

Do we actually? I would interpret the launch of the escape pod in Bands of Mourning as the Feruchemy always being enabled and only the Allomancy needing a starter cube.

Would it not be the Identity of the ship itself? We kind of learn from Stormlight that objects have their own view of themselves (I am a stick). Now clearly they aren't quite the same as a living being but the whole reason Shallan couldn't Soulcast Stick is because she couldn't change sticks identity of itself to anything else. 

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Do we actually? I would interpret the launch of the escape pod in Bands of Mourning as the Feruchemy always being enabled and only the Allomancy needing a starter cube.

I remember someone was making raport to Suit, and he was talking about Feruchemist (it was a name, and he was a Skimmer) who finaly figured out how to charge Ship's machinery with his Feruchemy. Im not at home now, so cant use books to find it. Someone help?

6 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

I remember someone was making raport to Suit, and he was talking about Feruchemist (it was a name, and he was a Skimmer) who finaly figured out how to charge Ship's machinery with his Feruchemy. Im not at home now, so cant use books to find it. Someone help?

I think this is what you’re looking for, from BoM chapter 29:

“My lord,” the man said, proffering one of the medallions. “You’ll need this.”

Suit took it and rolled up his sleeve to strap it to his upper arm. “Is this ship operational?”

The man’s eyes lit up. “Yes, sir! The machinery is operational, sheltered as it was from the weather. Sir … it’s amazing. You can feel the energy pulsing off that metal. We did have to send men out to unclog the fans—a few of the Coinshots helped—and we have them moving now. Fed is down below, priming the weight-changing machinery with her Feruchemy, to lighten the ship. That should be the last step!”

Edited by mdross81