When did the broadsheet stories happen?

Oltux72

Allomancer Jak is roughly contemporary to Wax and Wayne. Nicelle Sauvage was only mentioned in the broadsheets. But when exactly did those events happen? I think we can conclude from Jak's story that it and Bands of Mourning cannot coincide. Any clues about the timing?

On 7/7/2021 at 9:26 AM, Oltux72 said:

Allomancer Jak is roughly contemporary to Wax and Wayne. Nicelle Sauvage was only mentioned in the broadsheets. But when exactly did those events happen? I think we can conclude from Jak's story that it and Bands of Mourning cannot coincide. Any clues about the timing?

Nikki’s happened during BoM, I believe. The book’s map is the one Nazh stole.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:26 AM, Oltux72 said:

We now know that

TLM reading:

Spoiler

Jak was around and famous when Wayne was a child, about 20 years before AoL. 

I have questions...

9 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

What’s wrong with it?

Spoiler

Wayne’s Ma says the story happened when Jak was young (implying he no longer is) and she tells it about 20 odd years before AoL. Assuming Jak was 30ish when Ma tells the story, he’s 50ish during AoL.

Except that he doesn’t ever seem to act that way or show the effects of age, and Wax acts like they’re the same age, even though it seems that Jak is about a decade older. And Jak was mistaken for Wax, which seems unlikely if he’s a full decade older.

Basically, there’s something off about Jak.

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:
  Hide contents

Wayne’s Ma says the story happened when Jak was young (implying he no longer is) and she tells it about 20 odd years before AoL. Assuming Jak was 30ish when Ma tells the story, he’s 50ish during AoL.

Except that he doesn’t ever seem to act that way or show the effects of age, and Wax acts like they’re the same age, even though it seems that Jak is about a decade older. And Jak was mistaken for Wax, which seems unlikely if he’s a full decade older.

Basically, there’s something off about Jak.

Spoiler

2 Questions: Do we ever see Jak onscreen outside of AU

2: Does this mean Jak is an Atium ferring and he’s using the “lost metal” :ph34r:

Ive got to admit I’ve never paid attention to him so I know next to nothing about Jak 

1 hour ago, Bejardin1250 said:
  Hide contents

2 Questions: Do we ever see Jak onscreen outside of AU

2: Does this mean Jak is an Atium ferring and he’s using the “lost metal” :ph34r:

Ive got to admit I’ve never paid attention to him so I know next to nothing about Jak 

Jak is a tineye. We’ve only seen him in the short story and the broadsheets.

8 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Then when did someone mistake him for Wax?

In one of the broadsheet stories in SoS.

“Gentleman Jak,” I said with humility. “Surely you have heard of me.”

“So you ain’t that Waxillium Ladrian fellow?”

“By the Survivor, no!”

“A drink,” I roared. “A drink for my friend! For I too would pull a gun on Waxillium Ladrian were I to meet him in person!”

2 minutes ago, mathiau said:

To be fair Wax was a legend so I doubt most people who knew of him in the rough also knew his age

True enough, but I'll be honest. I don't even know what y'all are going back and forth on here, I just saw a question I could answer and figured I might as well go for it haha.

I agree that the broadsheet stories must be contemporary with the events of the novels they are in, and I'm also very curious about Gentleman Jak, Handerwym, Elizandra, and Nicole Sauvage.  I hope we see more of them in tLM!

Reading this topic reminded me about the French inspiration of Northern Scadrial character and place names.  Anyone else saying "Gentleman Jacques" in their heads now?  How is the name pronounced in the audiobooks?