Neon Reads The Wheel of Time

aneonfoxtribute

I've started Fires of Heaven, probably just gonna read the prologue today. Gonna spoiler mark my comment for the sake of Eluvianni, in case he hasn't read beyond Shadow Rising yet.

Spoiler

Gotta love that Elaida hypocrisy. Talking about how people aren't consulting her and "usurping her authority" and calling it a slight despite the fact that she rose to Amyrlin without a fair meeting about it.

1 hour ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

I've started Fires of Heaven, probably just gonna read the prologue today. Gonna spoiler mark my comment for the sake of Eluvianni, in case he hasn't read beyond Shadow Rising yet.

Hide contents

Gotta love that Elaida hypocrisy. Talking about how people aren't consulting her and "usurping her authority" and calling it a slight despite the fact that she rose to Amyrlin without a fair meeting about it.

she is the worst.

4 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

The Forsaken's interactions with each other are very interesting

yea, their meetings with each other are always interesting.  I'm not sure how much of this you've gotten yet, but i really like how much Jordan humanizes the forsaken.  I think it makes them into more interesting villains.

I don't really see that in the Forsaken yet. That will likely change but at the moment, they seem like the least human villains other than Padan Fain (and probably the Dark One himself, but we haven't seen him). The other villains or groups are all doing what they think is right so far. Elaida did what she thought was right, she doesn't like that Siuan was letting Rand run free. The Whitecloaks are doing what they thing right, they are dedicated to the Light and, as delusional, wrong, and trigger happy as they are, they still think they're serving the light and doing good for the world by ridding it of Darkfriends. Bernhard specifically thinks he genuinely will avenge his father by killing Perrin, because he really doesn't know the situation any better. The Seanchan, loath as I am to admit it, think they're right, they were raised to believe that channelers should be leashed and they were raised to believe that their blood is the true blood. The Forsaken so far don't really have any principles, unity, or motivation other than power. This is realistic and human in its own right, mind (thats why Fain is less human than them to me, he's just insane and corrupted by a crazy ghost dude), but I think its the least human of the lot. Religious zealots persecuting people because they think it right and people acting according to their cultural traditions seem more human to me than people chasing power and backstabbing their supposed allies for more power. But these are just my impressions right now. The Whitecloaks and Seanchan will probably remain faceless groups with only a handful of individual characters, while the Forsaken who DON'T die immediately will likely have far more fleshed out motivations. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't anticipate reading a whole lot for a while. What with Cold Steel 4 coming out next week, Dawnshard presumably coming next week, and Rhythm of War coming next month, I'm unsure how much I'll be able to read. I might still try for a chapter a day starting tomorrow but it will likely be a lot less of a daily thing with all these new releases coming so soon after one another. 

Reading chapter 1. What happened to Gareth, I wonder. He seems to have been completely dismissed from duty. I wonder how that came about.

Well if it wasn't already obvious that Gaebril was a Forsaken, it definitely is now. He straight up has Morgase under mind control

theres your answer

4 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Yeah, I figured that Gaebril was a Forsaken from the first time he was on screen, but I didn't think about her being under mind control at all

basically from Mat's chapters in book 3 when he is in Caemlyn, right?  Yea, its a lot less obvious then

Yeah. Honestly, though, I was suspicious of him when they said "Morgase has a new lover", because I think that was soon after learning that one of the Forsaken was in a position of power in.... I want to say Illian? I don't remember where specifically, but I remember learning about Gaebril not long after that and it was very clear to me that he is also probably a Forsaken. 

9 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Yeah. Honestly, though, I was suspicious of him when they said "Morgase has a new lover", because I think that was soon after learning that one of the Forsaken was in a position of power in.... I want to say Illian? I don't remember where specifically, but I remember learning about Gaebril not long after that and it was very clear to me that he is also probably a Forsaken. 

probably Sammael in Illian.  Perrin and Moiraine are there and flee in the middle of the night to avoid staying there after maybe attracting his notice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh interesting. Moiraine saw all of her potential futures when she went to Rhuidean. I wonder if that means that the three different rings DO do something different, with the one Moiraine went through showing the future and the one Rand went through showing memories of ancestors, or if men and women see different things stepping through them. If the former is true, I wonder what the third ring shows? I would think the present, since one shows the past and one the future, but that would seem odd.

Oh interesting. Moiraine saw all of her potential futures when she went to Rhuidean. I wonder if that means that the three different rings DO do something different, with the one Moiraine went through showing the future and the one Rand went through showing memories of ancestors, or if men and women see different things stepping through them. If the former is true, I wonder what the third ring shows? I would think the present, since one shows the past and one the future, but that would seem odd.

Rand didn't go through the rings.  he saw them but they weren't what he was there for.  the Ter'angreal he walked through is described as "a small forest of tall glass columns"

9 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

On Chapter 13, and oh my god Nynaeve. Why the hell do you make yourself so unlikable for zero reason. Elayne is literally blameless to you being forced to pretend to be a servant, and yet you still give her crap because of it. Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yea the Nynaeve/Elayne dynamic is....very frustrating