WoB from a Reddit PM: Warbreaker is currently "a few generations" before Stormlight (but this is not final)

There was a discussion in the Discord about the time gap between Warbreaker and Stormlight, so I decided to PM Brandon about it. The messages:

Screenshot_20200805-115502_Slide.thumb.png.fc0cdb5adaf69ba5e6e570a4e3a7a0d7.png

Or as copy-pasted text:

Spoiler

beewall

How long after Warbreaker does Way of Kings take place? I know you usually don't finalize timeline details until they actually are stated in-book, but are you willing to say how far apart the books are, in the current plans?

Brandon Sanderson

I have Warbreaker happening a few generations before, right now.  However, I'm very likely to move Elantris up in time, so it's a little in the air at the moment.

Not sure if this was already known or not, but I didn't find anything on the Arcanum about it, so I figured I'd ask him.

Not sure why Elantris affects this. Unless he just means it as an example of timeline things being subject to change.

2 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Willing to bet the 5 Scholars somehow went to Sel and that's why it's important.

I actually ended up asking in a response after posting this here, forgot to post his answer.

His answer:

Screenshot_20200805-171202_Slide.thumb.png.5397220de0a886ad9d0c59714547c93a.png

Copy-pasted:

Spoiler

beewall

Thanks! I assume asking why Elantris being moved affects how far apart Warbreaker and Way of Kings are is a behind-the-scenes thing and/or RAFO?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, it does.  The big linchpin is going to be when I need Sel and Scadrial to align when big crossovers start happening.  We'll know in a few years; there are things I intend to write that I could imagine needing to change, after they're finished, that will influence the timeline structure.

So I think it's mainly behind-the-scenes things. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Five Scholars did visit Sel.

Just now, beewall said:

I actually ended up asking in a response after posting this here, forgot to post his answer.

His answer:

Screenshot_20200805-171202_Slide.thumb.png.5397220de0a886ad9d0c59714547c93a.png

Copy-pasted:

Reveal hidden contents

beewall

Thanks! I assume asking why Elantris being moved affects how far apart Warbreaker and Way of Kings are is a behind-the-scenes thing and/or RAFO?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, it does.  The big linchpin is going to be when I need Sel and Scadrial to align when big crossovers start happening.  We'll know in a few years; there are things I intend to write that I could imagine needing to change, after they're finished, that will influence the timeline structure.

So I think it's mainly behind-the-scenes things. But it wouldn't surprise me if the Five Scholars did visit Sel.

Ah so probably stuff like the Ire then. Among other crossovers, probably Khriss and Nazh for one.

Nice ones there!

We had a vague notion of where Warbreaker was in the timeline vis a vis Stormlight, since Brandon mentioned that Nigthblood and The Way of Kings were planned to have no book set between them. Since the former is intended as a direct sequel to Warbreaker we could reasonably assume that both books take place pretty close to the start of Stormlight Archive, but being told it's (tentatively) 'a few generations' is a lot more specific. I think @RShara's favorite timeline tentatively put Nightblood and WoK as happening about a hundred and twenty years apart, as opposed to, what would a few generations be, fifty or sixty years tops? So that's cut the margin down by about half.

Edited by Weltall

5 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Nice ones there!

We had a vague notion of where Warbreaker was in the timeline vis a vis Stormlight, since Brandon mentioned that Nigthblood and The Way of Kings were planned to have no book set between them. Since the former is intended as a direct sequel to Warbreaker we could reasonably assume that both books take place pretty close to the start of Stormlight Archive, but being told it's (tentatively) 'a few generations' is a lot more specific. I think @RShara's favorite timeline tentatively put Nightblood and WoK as happening about a hundred and twenty years apart, as opposed to, what would a few generations be, fifty or sixty years tops?

Depending on lifespan a generation can be 20-30 years apart. So "a few" is probably 60-90 years.

On 05/08/2020 at 7:06 PM, beewall said:

Not sure why Elantris affects this. Unless he just means it as an example of timeline things being subject to change.

We have Elantrians in Oathbringer. I doubt Brandon wants even more people who are thousands of years old. And it becomes improbable that they haven't figured out how to do some arcane stuff off Sel.

The Ire being in Secret History means that Elantris has to be before that. Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell has to be after Secret History as well. If Alloy of Law is still supposed to be between SA5 and SA6, the time starts getting crowded. An awful lot of things happen in an improbably short time.