Sharding the shardic burden

Oltux72

14 hours ago, GoWibble said:

Would Odium really want to drop their Shard? 

I think the idea is not so much to get Rayse to drop his Shard but to answer the question of "okay, how do we deal with this now-Vesselless Shard of Odium" once you kill him.  Having a single person pick it up would be a big problem in the long term, because eventually the Shard will twist the vessel (as we know happened with Ati, who per Hoid was very nice originally).  Neither is having it just sit unattended, waiting for someone to come pick it up a good idea, and splintering it (and having as a result a massive number of splinters of Odium running around) isn't ideal either.  But with a large group of people you could potentially stretch out the corruption out a long time.  Perhaps indefinitely if the ex-Vessels have a chance to heal up in the interim between releasing the Shard and picking it up again.

Actually, I could see such a situation functioning rather like the Oathpact: a group of like-minded individuals coming together to solve the Odium problem, each sworn to bear the burden indefinitely, one suffering while the others recover.  Unfortunately I also see it ending like the Oathpact: as a bandage on a gaping wound, delaying the inevitable but not fixing the problem.  Because any solution that says "we'll just keep this going indefinitely" is eventually bound to fail.

On 25.05.2020 at 2:35 PM, GoWibble said:

Would Odium really want to drop their Shard? 

I'm fairly sure he wouldn't. Besides the WoB you cited, we have this line from Frost's letter in WoR:

He bears the weight of God's own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context. He is what we made him to be, old friend. And that is what he, unfortunately, wished to become.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:50 AM, Oltux72 said:

So, as a Shard's basic Intent becomes stronger with time, can that be used to resist Odium? If the timer is reset when you drop the Shard, can they form a group and hand the Shard over in a set order?

MB spoilers

Spoiler

That is basically what Preservation did. I think this should be in Cosmere discussion as well. 

I suppose you could do what you propose but all it would take was one misstep and you are finished.

Edited by Karger