WOB Shardblade question

Lightblood

Questioner

So, if a person claims a new set of Shardplate, and there's a difference in size between the new wielder and the previous wielder, does it adjust to the size of the new wielder?

Brandon Sanderson

It does... And there are things they can do to size it and things like that. But it slowly changes over time, like a Blade sometimes does under certain circumstances.

So what?! 

I've personally never heard of anyones shardblade changing in anyway. The lengths are all meticulously measured and are literally stuff of legend. People would notice a change and comment on it for sure. So what did he mean by the blade sometimes does under circumstances. The only thing I can think of is the theory that Adolin is going to bond with Maya but that doesn't sound like what they're talking about. Plus this was back in 2017. Do we know answers? and if not I'm accepting of theories.

2 minutes ago, Lightblood said:

So what?! 

I've personally never heard of anyones shardblade changing in anyway. The lengths are all meticulously measured and are literally stuff of legend. People would notice a change and comment on it for sure. So what did he mean by the blade sometimes does under circumstances. The only thing I can think of is the theory that Adolin is going to bond with Maya but that doesn't sound like what they're talking about. Plus this was back in 2017. Do we know answers? and if not I'm accepting of theories.

Shardblades did change slightly over time to adapt to the gemstone on the pommel, for example, at least, according to Navani's research.

Edited by RShara

The Great American Read: Other Worlds with Brandon Sanderson (Oct. 25, 2018)
#3 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Snipexe

Is there one true Shardblade form for a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

"True" in this sense is mutable and it can change, based on perception. I would say yes, but it is not a kind of platonic truth, it is a momentary truth.

Snipexe

Will dead Shardblades change, when an owner has them for a long time will they slowly change or will they stay the same?

Brandon Sanderson

Shardblades have changed before that were considered dead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 1:10 PM, Ciridae said:

I wonder how much Plate can shrink or grow according to a person’s size. I mean there has to be an upper limit, right? I’m just imagining a koloss wearing Plate now.

This will be answered when we know how plate is made.  However it may be possible to make some extremely large plate.  However now I want my Radiant koloss fanfic.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:10 AM, Ciridae said:

I wonder how much Plate can shrink or grow according to a person’s size. I mean there has to be an upper limit, right? I’m just imagining a koloss wearing Plate now.

Or a Pewter Ferring with huge reserves of strength, to further enhance the boost that Plate confers. "Here, let me throw this wall at that Voidbringer"

21 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Or a Pewter Ferring with huge reserves of strength, to further enhance the boost that Plate confers. "Here, let me throw this wall at that Voidbringer"

I am now imagining buff-pewter-tapping-Sazed in Shardplate, throwing large chunks of stone around. Thank you. 

• Chaos locked this topic