Hollow Knight Discussion Topic (+ Memes for funsies)

Here are my tips for Delicate Flower and Mantis Lord:

Delicate Flower- Go for charms that increase your attack range. Stuff like Grubberfly's Elegy, Longnail, Mark of Pride, and anything that reduces spell cost/increases spell damage. Try out different routes and note which ones get you farther. For me, the big killer was the Mantis Nymphs (that's what they are called, right? The ones that fly and throw things). For the Nymphs, get into a good position to blast one with spells and shoot at it until it dies, then continue forward, only fighting one at a time.

Mantis Lord- My main advice is that for all of Mantis Lord's attacks, he always hesitates for two beats and then attacks on the third beat. If you notice him winding up, don't dash through him immediately- wait for the third beat then dash through him with the shade cloak. Sharp shadow is good for this, because in addition to the damage it deals it also increases your dash length.

As for Grimm, I went through with the ritual rather than banishing the Troupe. I don't think that the final-level Grimmchild was really worth it, though- I barely ever use it, and the boss fight to get it with NK Grimm is insane. Way harder than beating Hollow Knight's final boss. It seriously took me two weeks.

Has anyone tried Steel Soul mode? I got a lot farther than I expected before I got too cocky and died in Deepnest.

Edited by ElectrumSavant

22 minutes ago, ElectrumSavant said:

Mantis Nymphs (that's what they are called, right? The ones that fly and throw things).

I think they're called mantis petra. 

I only got to soul master in my steel soul run. I did my first steel soul file immediately after beating the Hollow Knight for the first time, and I have gotten better. Maybe I will try again...

also, has anyone noticed that Xero was totally a mistborn? 

download.jpeg I mean, that's obviously a mistcloak, and he could be using allomantic iron and steel to throw those swords at you.

Edited by Kings_way

Confession time: There's a bit of a trick that you can do in Steel Soul. I don't consider it cheating, but some might. If you exit to the menu while doing Steel Soul, when you return to the game you respawn with full health at the last bench. This can be done during boss fights at no penalty.

21 minutes ago, Kings_way said:

also, has anyone noticed that Xero was totally a mistborn? 

I mean, that's obviously a mistcloak, and he could be using allomantic iron and steel to throw those swords at you.

I can totally see it!

3 hours ago, ElectrumSavant said:

Confession time: There's a bit of a trick that you can do in Steel Soul. I don't consider it cheating, but some might. If you exit to the menu while doing Steel Soul, when you return to the game you respawn with full health at the last bench. This can be done during boss fights at no penalty.

I've used that trick to teleport in normal mode, but I didn't think to do it that way. 

Sadly, you can't use it for the delicate flower quest, as the game saves you to the bench outside grey mourner's house. It is helpful for getting back though.

21 hours ago, ElectrumSavant said:

Here are my tips for Delicate Flower and Mantis Lord:

Delicate Flower- Go for charms that increase your attack range. Stuff like Grubberfly's Elegy, Longnail, Mark of Pride, and anything that reduces spell cost/increases spell damage. Try out different routes and note which ones get you farther. For me, the big killer was the Mantis Nymphs (that's what they are called, right? The ones that fly and throw things). For the Nymphs, get into a good position to blast one with spells and shoot at it until it dies, then continue forward, only fighting one at a time.

Mantis Lord- My main advice is that for all of Mantis Lord's attacks, he always hesitates for two beats and then attacks on the third beat. If you notice him winding up, don't dash through him immediately- wait for the third beat then dash through him with the shade cloak. Sharp shadow is good for this, because in addition to the damage it deals it also increases your dash length.

As for Grimm, I went through with the ritual rather than banishing the Troupe. I don't think that the final-level Grimmchild was really worth it, though- I barely ever use it, and the boss fight to get it with NK Grimm is insane. Way harder than beating Hollow Knight's final boss. It seriously took me two weeks.

Has anyone tried Steel Soul mode? I got a lot farther than I expected before I got too cocky and died in Deepnest.

Yeah but NMK Grimm is SO FREAKIN FUN. Like for real, it might be my favorite boss fights in the game just because of how satisfying it is to finally beat him.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:22 AM, ElectrumSavant said:

I did that during my first Steel Soul run, until a few mis-clicks allowed the watcher knights to end me

Well, I got Hollow Knight. I've played through the first boss and gotten the first spell. So far, I am liking the game, the visuals are good and the controls feel intuitive, although I did mix up the jump and attack buttons a few* times.

*Quite a lot, actually.

Okay, I've now played through Greenpath, the mushroom place, gotten to The City of Tears, talked to Hornet, upgraded my nail, fought the Soul Master and died miserably, tried to do something at the black egg and failed, explored a bunch and found the Fog Valley, the bank, and the the Howling cliffs. I have a few questions. Am I supposed to fight Soul Master next? If so, do you have any tips? Is there a closer bench than the mapmaker room? I keep dying on the way there and losing all my geo. Also, Should I worry about upgrading my sword right now?

Edited by Nameless

16 hours ago, Nameless said:

Am I supposed to fight Soul Master next? If so, do you have any tips?

You will be wanting to go to Crystal peak next. The main way to get there is with the desolate dive spell, which does require beating Soul Master. There is a second way that requires the Lumafly lantern, bought at sly's shop for 1800 geo. I'm pretty sure you will need Desolate dive eventually, so I recommend fighting soul master now, but you don't need to. I think the one near where Cornifer was is the closest bench, unfortunately. You can probably get the first nail upgrade, but I don't know if you can get any pieces of pale ore at that point.

8 minutes ago, Kings_way said:

You will be wanting to go to Crystal peak next. The main way to get there is with the desolate dive spell, which does require beating Soul Master. There is a second way that requires the Lumafly lantern, bought at sly's shop for 1800 geo. I'm pretty sure you will need Desolate dive eventually, so I recommend fighting soul master now, but you don't need to. I think the one near where Cornifer was is the closest bench, unfortunately. You can probably get the first nail upgrade, but I don't know if you can get any pieces of pale ore at that point.

Okay. I tried again, and got to the second phase. I think I was just trying to rush too much.

2 hours ago, Nameless said:

Okay. I tried again, and got to the second phase. I think I was just trying to rush too much.

Patience is definitely key in Hollow Knight. All the bosses are about waiting for the right time to attack, that moment where you’re absolutely sure that you can land a hit and not get damaged.

OH MY GOSH I HATE NIGHTMARE KING GRIMM

AGAHAGHAGAHAGAHHAGAHAGAHAGAHAGAHAHAGAHGAHAGAHAGAHAGAGAGAH

need I say more.

edit, 22 minutes later:

AGAHAGAYAGATYATAYAAHGAGAGA I BEAT IT

FINALLYYYYYYYYY

venting on the shard is key to success apparently 

Edited by Danex

Just wait for

Spoiler

The pantheons

Spoiler

I've nohit nightmare king Grimm

Spoiler

And the pure vessel

Spoiler

I spent way to long trying for pure vessel

Spoiler

Nightmare King Grimm was easier 

Spoiler

Though I still can't get to absolute radiance in the final pantheon

Spoiler

I should start playing again 

Spoiler

Also I did the path of pain that is a real nightmare 

Edited by Darkfinder

12 minutes ago, Darkfinder said:

Just wait for

Hide contents

The pantheons

Hide contents

I've nohit nightmare king Grimm

Hide contents

And the pure vessel

Hide contents

I spent way to long trying for pure vessel

Hide contents

Nightmare King Grimm was easier 

Hide contents

Though I still can't get to absolute radiance in the final pantheon

Hide contents

I should start playing again 

Hide contents

Also I did the path of pain that is a real nightmare 

Ugh the pantheons sound horrible. I think Path of Pain won’t be super horrible, I tend to like hard platforming. 

Also, anyone know which bosses have dream forms? I’ve done Soul Tyrant and Lost Kin but I can’t find any others. (Oh and NKG obviously.)

Also also, is it possible to kill the dude that protects the resting grounds? Does he give you essence?

Edited by Danex

Just now, Danex said:

Ugh the pantheons sound horrible. I think Path of Pain won’t be super horrible, I tend to like hard platforming. 

Also, anyone know which bosses have dream forms? I’ve done Soul Tyrant and Lost Kin but I can’t find any others. (Oh and NKG obviously.)

The False Knight has one

The pantheons are quite fun imo (the last one is ridiculously hard to me and I need to get back to attempting to beat it) though I quite like boss fights and the pantheons have some of the best bosses in the game imo.

The path of pain took ages but I eventually completed it.

Spoiler

NKG and PV are the best bosses and some of the funnest parts of the game imo

6 minutes ago, Darkfinder said:

The False Knight has one

The false knight is the dude at the very beginning right? The white slug thing in the fat armor? Above and to the left of the Forgotten Crossroads Stag Station? I went there and didn’t see a dream thing. Found the empty armor, no dream thing. 

10 minutes ago, Danex said:

The false knight is the dude at the very beginning right? The white slug thing in the fat armor? Above and to the left of the Forgotten Crossroads Stag Station? I went there and didn’t see a dream thing. Found the empty armor, no dream thing. 

Yeah

There is a breakable wall in that room above the place were he died (and in between the place you fight him in) that has the maggot corpse that you need