Three new novellas

Wintersu

Yesterday Sanderson was quite active over on Reddit, and answered many questions on a variety of topics. Including the amount of Shin spread throughout Roshar (more than I thought)

But, one bit of news I am excited about is this bit on new Novellas in the Stormlight Archive 

First, what Sanderson said he was writing on his Germany trip, and the question afterward:

Sanderson: 

“I suppose I shouldn't be coy, as there aren't many stories this could be. Yes, it's a sequel to Sixth of the Dusk. I've spoken about wanting to do one. 

Unfortunately, I only had time to get a little ways into it. I suspect I'll pick it back up on the flight to Spain in July. And if I don't finish it then, I have another long haul flight in October to visit France then Israel. 

It's generally hard to do Stormlight on flights like that; the books are too intricate, and the distractions too multitudinous. But novellas tend to work, so we'll see if I can get this one done on these trips.”

The question from ArgentSun: 

“Huh, it (sic) had assumed Rock's or Rysn's novella would be your airplane project. I guess taking a break from Stormlight by doing more Stormlight doesn't really work. Can you share your current plan for these two too?”

And the response:

“Still hoping to do both of them sometime this year, but we'll see. I would hate for Edgedancer to be the only X.5 novella for Stormlight. Feels more right if I can get those, and the Lopen one happening between books one and two, done some day soon. 

The Rock one kind of needs to happen, so we'll see. I need to get back on schedule with the main book first, though. That takes precedence over all of these smaller projects.”

A question from Hermit:

“This may be too much to ask.

For Rock's, is this a prequel in his homeland? Post Oathbringer, coming to terms with his actions? Something different all together maybe..

I find either very exciting.”

And the response:

It is post Oathbringer, involving him returning to his homeland.”

So! Three new novellas at some point.

1. Lopen, between WoK and WoR.

2. Rock, after Oathbringer but before Rhythm ( Super hype!!!)

3. Rysn, no more info on this one. I would love it to be between Oathbringer and Rhythm as well

Also, it sounded to me like the first one written will be Rock’s novella. King Rock?

This might be the first we've heard about this particular Lopen story. Brandon has talked about a short story between WoR and OB, with Lopen and Elhokar laying low during the exodus to Urithiru and Lopen legally becoming King of Alethkar for a brief period of time. 

But unless he misspoke here, this would be something else, set between WoK and WoR. But there's not too much of a gap there, not really room for anything exciting to happen with Lopen. I'm curious what such a story could possibly be about.

6 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

But unless he misspoke here, this would be something else, set between WoK and WoR. But there's not too much of a gap there, not really room for anything exciting to happen with Lopen. I'm curious what such a story could possibly be about.

This would be right after Dalinar brings Lopen (and all the other Bridgemen) into his camp. It’s also when Lopen starts really gathering Herdazians if I remember correctly.

It could be a look inside Herdazian culture that we haven’t had before. Obviously a lot of conjecture on my part 

45 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

This might be the first we've heard about this particular Lopen story. Brandon has talked about a short story between WoR and OB, with Lopen and Elhokar laying low during the exodus to Urithiru and Lopen legally becoming King of Alethkar for a brief period of time. 

Yeah I'm thinking he misspoke, but if we get a Lopen novella between pretty much every book (or alternate between Lopen and Lift) I'll be a happy dude!

I hope he doesn't overdo it ... Stormlight books are already insanely long and take up a good part of his time. I'm not sure it's necessary to add novellas between every two books. I'd rather see that time spent on other Cosmere works. Considering word count, Stormlight is already far more than a third of the whole thing. Of course it's the right thing if this is what he's eager to do.

Mostly looking forward to the Sixth of the Dusk sequel, since that would mean more (albeit probably very vague) information about sci-fi era cosmere.

1 hour ago, Elegy said:

Mostly looking forward to the Sixth of the Dusk sequel, since that would mean more (albeit probably very vague) information about sci-fi era cosmere.

I do love 6th of the Dusk but then Stormlight errrg.  Can't he produce at least some bad writing!

Also who left Brandon unattended?  You know when we do that excellent novellas pop up.  I am looking at you Peter.

Edited by Karger

Sometime this year he says. That's a lot of writing to do for a single year. When does he sleep? I'm mostly excited about the ones for Rock and Rysn. Especially Rysn. I've spent three books wishing she had more page time. But by the look of things, by the time this series is finished I'll need an entire bookshelf exclusively for Stormlight.

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

Yeah I'm thinking he misspoke, but if we get a Lopen novella between pretty much every book (or alternate between Lopen and Lift) I'll be a happy dude!

I, obviously, have no way of knowing if you’re wrong. 

I will say this, though, it is possible that he’s changed his mind on where the Lopen novella takes place.

21 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

Sometime this year he says. That's a lot of writing to do for a single year. When does he sleep? I'm mostly excited about the ones for Rock and Rysn. Especially Rysn. I've spent three books wishing she had more page time. But by the look of things, by the time this series is finished I'll need an entire bookshelf exclusively for Stormlight.

I want Rysn to become a Willshaper. I think it fits her personality perfectly, and I’d like to see Singers and Humans both bonding each type of Spren.

My hope would be to to see her start the Journey somehow. Even if it’s just meeting a spren

I definitely would rather have a Stormlight novella. Just my opinion 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 0:21 PM, Wintersu said:

I, obviously, have no way of knowing if you’re wrong. 

I will say this, though, it is possible that he’s changed his mind on where the Lopen novella takes place.

I want Rysn to become a Willshaper. I think it fits her personality perfectly, and I’d like to see Singers and Humans both bonding each type of Spren.

My hope would be to to see her start the Journey somehow. Even if it’s just meeting a spren

I definitely would rather have a Stormlight novella. Just my opinion 

I agree with you on Rysn as a Willshaper. 

I really hope Rock becomes a Stoneward. He hasn't spoken the second Windrunner oath yet so it's not too late!!! 

Edited by Watchcry

Off-topic: @Winds Alight Your picture is great. I love that cat. Reminds me on our old family cat. My sister cares for him now and I don't get to see him much...

On-topic: I don't care much for Rysn either. But I didn't care for Lift - until I read Edgedancer. So I am looking forward to all the novellas :D.

I like Rysn but I'm more interested in Rock going home, as that promises to have interesting implications both for him as a character and the larger plot due to the fact that it will probably involve Cultivation's Perpendicularity and the Fused.

Not to say Rysn's story won't end up having something to do with the larger plot, but it's less obvious how.

8 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I am still holding out hope for Rysn larceryn dragon rider lol. She could be radiant or not, but riding her larkin all grown up into battle is a must for me lol

Yes please!

Horneater culture has always fascinated me but I can't wait for 6th's story.:D:D

• Chaos locked this topic