Other world shardblades

garlick

I was just thinking about how alot of the cosmere magic can be duplicated on other worlds. We've seen shardblades from 2 worlds so far. Nightblood+shardblades. 

How do you guys think this could be done in other worlds. 

I was thinking Mistborn is taking early steps to making them. Band of morning spoilers below.

Spoiler

I'm torn on how this could happen. On one hand Nicrosil store investiture. In my head I feel its a more pure form almost like stormlight. Make a Nicrosil blade compound ivestiture and store inside. I don't feel this would be enough. It wouldn't matter how much is stored if you don't have the intent to "awaken" the blade. 

But then I get to thinking it only takes a large amount of ivestiture to gather to be able to gain saipeince. Why would it have to be nicrosil. Say could a steel compounder with the right intent fill a sword with enough speed and finally awaken it. 

To take it one step farther. Useing the medallion method could you combine them and make something akin to a steelrunners honorblade granting the ability to burn steel.

I know alot of what a shardblade can do would simply work just but making a medallion style sword. Filled to the hilt could block a shardblade(at least thats my belief). But as you tap in to use the power it would become drained so in a drawn out battle that could hurt. "Awakening" the blade would give it shardblade bonuses. 

Spoiler

Elantris spoilers

Spoiler

Again I see a few ways this can or already has happened. I would not be surprised that seons have this ability. If not already it would just some knowledge to take that step. 

I think seons aside the simplest way would be the correct aons on a sword. Might take a god metal to become a true shardblade but I could see this sword bursting alight with the dor. 

Could possibly use soulstamps I just don't feel it has the power output to ascend a blade. But who knows what trickery it could hide. 

As far as any other cosmere stories I cant figure out anything that would work. 

Would love your ideas or feed back.

53 minutes ago, garlick said:

Elantris spoilers

We actually have confirmation that this would theoretically work, since seons are pretty much just spren, only they'd need something to anchor themselves more firmly in the Physical Realm.

56 minutes ago, garlick said:

able to gain saipeince

That would take a very, very, very long time.

4 hours ago, Chromium Compounder said:

I feel certain that Seons and Skaze are technically capable of this, but they don’t know how.  The spren learned it by copying the Honorblades, but there haven’t been any Honorblades or Shardblades on Sel for the Seons and Skaze to copy.

It would also require something to pull the more into the physical, like the bond itself does for Spren. 

Sir Jerric

Could a Seon or a Skaze turn into some sort of Shardblade on their home planet?

Brandon Sanderson

That is theoretically possible.  They work under the same fundamentals but they would need to have something to pull them more into the physical realm.  

Words of Radiance Omaha signing (March 13, 2014)

An Elantrian could probably just create a Shardblade with Aon Dor if they where so inclined. Personally I don't see the advantage for them since they can probably already remove someones soul without even touching them. Why bother with a big dumb sword at all?

For the Metallic Arts I'm unsure. A lot would depend on how some of the powers work. For example, if A-zinc and A-brass are able to be used on an objects Cognitive reflection, could you use that to convince the object that it is something else? What if A-steel and A-iron  are actually pushing on the objects Cognitive reflection? Could you use that to rip someones soul out of their physical body with a high enough Investiture level? I don't feel like we have enough behind the scenes (Cognitive/Spiritual) knowledge of the Metallic Arts to say for sure what exactly can be done with them. I suppose you could just get yourself a Hemalurgic spike and ask Sazed to make you a blade. That would probably be the easiest.

Edit: You might be able to do something to a Shade on Threnody to get it into blade form. Seems pretty thin though.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

2 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

An Elantrian could probably just create a Shardblade with Aon Dor if they where so inclined. Personally I don't see the advantage for them since they can probably already remove someones soul without even touching them. Why bother with a big dumb sword at all?

For the Metallic Arts I'm unsure. A lot would depend on how some of the powers work. For example, if A-zinc and A-brass are able to be used on an objects Cognitive reflection, could you use that to convince the object that it is something else? What if A-steel and A-iron  are actually pushing on the objects Cognitive reflection? Could you use that to rip someones soul out of their physical body with a high enough Investiture level? I don't feel like we have enough behind the scenes (Cognitive/Spiritual) knowledge of the Metallic Arts to say for sure what exactly can be done with them. I suppose you could just get yourself a Hemalurgic spike and ask Sazed to make you a blade. That would probably be the easiest.

Edit: You might be able to do something to a Shade on Threnody to get it into blade form. Seems pretty thin though.

An advanced enough Aon chain/group that allows the Seon to be pulled out of the Cognitive realm by the Elantrian (kept within easy reach as a tattoo on the elantrian's hand to start the process?

I imagine that using Compounding (perhaps via Nicrosil) to just jam pack a sword with Feruchemy would at least be a fun way of making a push/pull resistant metal sword (make metal swords great again)! Maybe if you had a sword with Copper inlays (or Zinc) and stuffed those full, it would start doing some funky stuff Cognitively. Or MAYBE, harmonium-based technology could allow the blade to have the power we're looking for. Something like how the Primer cube can use Feruchemy (or something like it; which makes the airships store their weight in Iron) could be done with other metals.

...Say, wait a minute. Aren't Rosharan shardblades surprisingly light for their size? And maybe having a "Primer" object burning Pewter would make it more durable as well? Hmmmm...

Edit: Here's my quick attempt at such a Scadrian Medallionblade, this one is Pewter. The pommel, 2 sides of the handle, and guard are all one Nicrosilmind with Feruchemical Pewter stored inside. The center of the handle, and middle of the blade, are one Pewtermind, and the cutting edge of the blade is a Steelmind (not intended for use, just to resist push/pulls and Rosharan Shardblades)

Metalmind Blade (colored).png

Edited by Halyo_Alex
Drew the theoretical Scadrian "Medallionblade" (Pewter version)

Yeah it kinda depends on what qualities of shardblades you desire, the physical aspects ( blocking other blades, damaging plate, lower weight, and preventing investiture interference) are easy enough to replicate, barring that lower weight. The cognitive aspects, where the blade can actually speak to you, or change shape are the more difficult parts.

On a side note, some worlds would just function better with weapons other than swords. Scadrial in particular would do better with projectile-based weapons.

16 minutes ago, Kramerfarve said:

On a side note, some worlds would just function better with weapons other than swords. Scadrial in particular would do better with projectile-based weapons.

Well, that depends. Sure, they have their uses, but with coinshots and lurchers around, they're not as clear-cut as on Earth. (cough aluminum bullets cough) But, say, a steelrunner, could actually be quite lethal with a sharp blade. Running or swinging at that much speed would put a lot of cutting power behind their strikes, and they could probably cut through a lot of stuff a normal person couldn't.

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

Agreed.  I see few advantages to a Scadrailinian shardblade for anyone except steelrunners and they can do almost as much with just a katana.

Well that's the thing: with Medallion tech, anyone could be a Steelrunner with the right blade. That's part of the magicalness of a (theoretical) scadrian shardblade.

25 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Well, that depends. Sure, they have their uses, but with coinshots and lurchers around, they're not as clear-cut as on Earth. (cough aluminum bullets cough) But, say, a steelrunner, could actually be quite lethal with a sharp blade. Running or swinging at that much speed would put a lot of cutting power behind their strikes, and they could probably cut through a lot of stuff a normal person couldn't.

Unfortunately, by what we've seen, the physics of F-steel apply to a steel runner as if they are moving normally. They don't break things apart. They shouldn't cut any better. 

To be honest, I think a steel knife to use as a metalmind that stab normally is more than good enough here. 

Shardblades and plate are... Fantastic weapons at the tech levels we see them used in. They will fall to firepower and range just like real sword and armor did. 

Just look at this WoB. 

Questioner

How many shots would it take for Wax using his gun to break a section of Shardplate?

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on the gun... Okay, so Vindication. He could probably... depends on the bullet, cause he's got several styles. But let's just say two or three. There's an argument he could do it with one, with the right shot, the right bullet, in the right moment.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

Other than a freak occurance like Nightblood... Which has plenty of detrimental aspects, I don't think shardblades are actually a worthwhile goal. 

10 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Other than a freak occurance like Nightblood... Which has plenty of detrimental aspects, I don't think shardblades are actually a worthwhile goal. 

On Roshar they have a lot of utilitarian purposes and they are not a bad weapon for some situations.  I also think that it will be a loooong time before plate becomes obsolete. 

37 minutes ago, Karger said:

On Roshar they have a lot of utilitarian purposes and they are not a bad weapon for some situations.  I also think that it will be a loooong time before plate becomes obsolete. 

Depends completely on how you want to use them and what type. 

Dead blades and plate I absolutely think will be obsolete for combat relatively quickly. For utilitarian uses, of course not. The enhanced strength alone is fantastic. 

Living blades that change shape and Radiant plate thats summonable and dismissable on demand? Those have a lot more practical combat uses that could be retained, but then you also have to be a Radiant to have them. 

Regardless, all of the benefits could be gained easily, save the shape shifting weapon, via means that aren't limited to a blade. 

Guns that are metalminds. Fabrials. Awakening. You name it. The focus on "shardblades" is limiting. 

Edited by Calderis

Something tells me that it would take Hemalurgy to make Scadrian-shardblades (and can we all pause for a second and agree that Scadrian-shardblades should be called Mistblades?). I mean, people have filled metalminds to full with Feruchemy before, but as far as we know none of them have become Sentient and started manifesting other-worldly powers (Unless of course, that's what Khriss and Nazh's ad about talking tools in the New Ascendancy broadsheet is talking about and Brandon is just being coy with us...)

• Chaos locked this topic