Odium’s perpendicularly

Atium

Question

20 answers to this question

Assuming Odium has only a single Perpendicularity (which is probably the case since he avoids Investing any power in a world that he doesn't need to) then his is probably located on Braize since it's the Physical/Cognitive 'nexus' of his power right now and one would have formed there naturally over the course of his many thousands of years stuck in the Rosharan System.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

I always assumed that it was the everstorm as it is what summons the voidspren and it allows the fused to come back from Braize. This would be an excellent question to ask Brandon.

The issue with that is that the Everstorm is something that didn't happen (at least not in the same way) during past Desolations.

7 hours ago, Invocation said:

The issue with that is that the Everstorm is something that didn't happen (at least not in the same way) during past Desolations.

In the past when the Fused Died they went back to Braize (just like the Heralds) but this time around they pop back with the Everstorm.  My money is on it previously being stuck on Braize but now it rides the Everstorm the way Honor's rides the Highstorm. I see it as an escalation of the conflict.  It also makes me think there's an Everstorm spren, perhaps a whole new Unmade.  Among other things the everstorm did take a big ol' sacrifice of Singer lives.

11 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I think he means you shouldn't classify the Everstormspren as an Unmade because it was never unmade in the same way as the rest of them are, it was just created.

Which is weird, because no one actually was doing that...

Just now, RShara said:

Which is weird, because no one actually was doing that...

I have no idea, honestly. He could have just been trying to prevent someone from doing so or it's a misunderstanding. That was just my best guess at what he meant, and I have literally nothing to back that up.

If the Everstorm's spren (which admittedly is still itself theoretical) where just a pure Created Spren, that would be highly odd to me because it would be the first time we know of that Odium created a spren whole.  So far he has always used raw materials and modified the Investiture involved for his own purposes: he used Singer Souls to create the Fused, he Corrupted existing spren for the Forms of Power and other Voidspren, and by all implication he Unmade something pre-existing to create the Unmade.  I always thought he was specifically trying to avoid using too much of his own Investiture which would further Bind him to Roshar, so doing so now and especially doing so on the scale of a Stormfather-esk Godspren would be a hell of a change of M.O.

Personally, I think it more likely that he used the souls of all those singers that took on Stormform and subsequently died in the Everstorm's creation as the raw materials for his new godspren.  Hell, there are also displaced souls in each Everstorm when a Fused is reborn that could be adding to it's pool of Power.  

20 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I always thought that the voidspren were made by Odium, not corrupted from H/C spren.  

I was under the impression that they all were to corrupted/enlightened  "children" of Sja-Anat.  Though the term is admittedly very broadly used, including being applied to the Fused. 

55 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I was under the impression that they all were to corrupted/enlightened  "children" of Sja-Anat.  Though the term is admittedly very broadly used, including being applied to the Fused. 

I think the Spren he made himself are like the female one that talked to Kaladin. White/Gold or yellow humanoid spren with Shin eyes. The "screamers" in Kholinar were also yellow.  I would lump Ulim in as well, but I guess he is red, at least when he is in lightning form. 

The human form Odium uses has Shin eyes and wears white & gold. Vyre's white gold knife, when Odium recreates the diagram and shows how much more he sees, the letters are golden. White/Gold power streams behind him when he brings the spren, Fused and  Thrill to Thaylen City from the cognitive realm. 

I think his real color is dark violet, like voidlight and the fire at the core of his being that Dalinar and Venli see, but he likes white/gold when he makes things. 

Everstorm is possibly a perpendicularity. Usually a Shard perpendicularity forms only when a Shard is "in residence" on a planet (but it's not always necessary) https://wob.coppermind.net/events/315/#e9385

Shard location is a matter of where they're making things and where their attention is focused. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/36/#e1551

There has to be so much investiture in the Everstorm and he's been crafting it for a while. It is his way around the Oathpact, Kalak fretted about Odium coming up with something "a way around this" and he did. 

Odium did not manifest on Roshar in the books before the Everstorm came. He can appear in person but only when the storm is near. Mr. T had to open the window before Odium could manifest to him. Venli was told to keep the windows open during the storm when he chastised her. Odium manifests outside Thaylen City and brings the Everstorm to a complete stop outside the city. According to a Fused Odium "rides the very winds as the enemy once did"

In WoR Ch. 89, the chapter after the Everstorm arrives the epigraphs mentions needing to stop the Parshendi otherwise a bridge will form. Some think this means bridge between KR and Parshendi, but I think it means the Everstorm is a bridge. 

Odium can directly impact Roshar now, I don't know if he's mostly vacated Braize or if this is like reaching a hand out a window, one foot in one room one in another. Not sure if he is enough "in residence" on Roshar to form a perpendicularity, but he may be. 

1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

I think the Spren he made himself are like the female one that talked to Kaladin. White/Gold or yellow humanoid spren with Shin eyes. The "screamers" in Kholinar were also yellow.  I would lump Ulim in as well, but I guess he is red, at least when he is in lightning form.

I dont remember which one you are talking about, unless it was Sja-Anat herself? Or was this something while they were in Shadesmar?  Can you tell me which chapter?

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

I dont remember which one you are talking about, unless it was Sja-Anat herself?

While he's with the rogue parshmen, moving across Alethkar. There was a spren travelling with the group, a yellow-ish, white-ish spren lady that talks to him towards the end of the journey asking him what he was doing. It was also how he got discovered.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

I dont remember which one you are talking about, unless it was Sja-Anat herself? Or was this something while they were in Shadesmar?  Can you tell me which chapter?

Sorry, it was when he was with the newly restored Singers early on. The one that catches him hiding in the bushes. Later she appears before him in the storm bunker and questions why he is helping the Singers. 

"The Spren beside him was glowing yellow, no blue-white. The tiny woman stood on a translucent pillar of golden stone" ... "with large, childlike eyes. Like someone from Shinovar." -OB Ch. 23

Edited by Child of Hodor

Ah, rightright, the one guiding them to the Fused mustering point.  I thought (but have no actual proof, admittedly) that those were also corrupted spren, and would be in the same class as Glys, the Oathgate spren, and Ulim the "Envoy" spren that was manipulating Venli into creating the Everstorm early on.

Odium would not have to be in residence on Roshar to form the everstrom his attention is definitely focused their though.  I also remember an offhand comment that the more powerful voidbringers still had not arrived.  Maybe the everstrom is somehow to narrow?