Does Audible Spoil the Ending of Hero of Ages?

not an Evil Librarian

The ending of the Mistborn trilogy was absolutely amazing. I did not see it coming at all, despite the fact that all of the signs clearly point to Sazed being the Hero of Ages. However, I was recently listening to the series on audible, and while I think Michael Kramer, for the most part, does a good job with the series, the first thing that stood out to me on the third book was that he simply used Sazed's Voice at the introduction to each chapter. You can clearly hear Sazed claiming to be the Hero of Ages at the beginning, and you can clearly tell that it is him throughout the entire book. Am I the only one who feels as though this kind of ruins the amazing ending? 

A friend of mine listened to the audiobooks as their first read through. I asked if they thought the voice work gave away the ending, but they didn't catch it.

I think it's just another clue, much like the *way* the epigraphs are worded. Even when reading, if you had been paying close attention, it should be obvious that Sazed (or at least a Terrisman) is the one writing the epigraphs in the third book. (Of note: I was not paying close enough attention...)

Spoiler

I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages.

It is very clear who is reading those epigraphs in the audiobook. It's just a matter of will the listener forget about their significance? The first one is a huge spoiler after that they are not as spoilery.

Kind of like how both readers and listeners were immediately told in WoA "I write these words in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted." But most of us forgot about it as we read the rest of the book. 

17 hours ago, not an Evil Librarian said:

Am I the only one who feels as though this kind of ruins the amazing ending? 

I can see how the Sazed voice would be a give-away, but personally I found it obvious anyways. My first time reading HoA I had it figured out at:

"I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages."

The structure of the speech screamed Sazed at me right away, so... 

tenor.gif

@Govir you beat me to it mate.

Edited by The Sovereign
Credit where it is due and whatnot.

I noticed the Well of Ascension one myself (since you can see the inscription get altered subtly with words changing as Sazed rereads it over the course of the book) but I missed the significance of the phrasing at the start of Hero of Ages, so it wasn't until the epigraphs started talking about Vin in the third person that it clicked and that was still most of the way through the book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic