Things about Voidbringers I found interesting (spoilers)

Arin

During a re-listen to WoR, I found two things of interest so far. I need to find the quotes and post them. First, Kal said something about the dead becoming Voidbringers. The second was in the interlude on the Reshi Island. When they saw the blue Aimian and accused him of being a Voidbringer because of his shadow going the wrong way.

The first made me wonder if some of the dead could be used by the Voidbringers and I hope, if that is true, that Sadeas will become one. Oh wouldn't that be great fun.

The first and second items above made me think that Voidbringers are actually from the cognitive or spiritual realms and cast shadows based on the sun in their normal realm.

During the entire re-listen so far, I don't thing the Parshendi are actually Voidbringers. I think they are being used by them just like the other beasts or rocks on Roshar will be used. It seems as if the Spren are the actual Voidbringers or a certain group of Spren are.

The last point on this is from the vision Dalinar had in chapter 4 where he was fighting along side a squad and a Knight Radiant and they fought a thunderclast. During the vision Sja-anat was mentioned and said to change Spren on touch. Is Sja-anat an Unmade? Does he create Voidbringers? (do we know if Unmade are Odium's champions?)

Any thoughts on Voidbringers?

During the entire re-listen so far, I don't thing the Parshendi are actually Voidbringers. I think they are being used by them just like the other beasts or rocks on Roshar will be used. It seems as if the Spren are the actual Voidbringers or a certain group of Spren are.

Pattern might agree with you. When one of the scholars assigned to Shallan during the march to Narak voices her suspicion that Pattern might be a Voidbringer, he gets offended and claims that Voidbringers "have no symmetry". Considering his own perfect symmetry, the statement could imply that the Voidbringers are spren (the way Cryptics are), but unnatural ones (i.e. of Odium).

Edited by Eerongal
Removed off-topic statement.

The Voidbringers brought on the desolations and fought the KR and the Heralds.. If Kal, Adolin with basic plate and blade so effectively devasted so much of the Parshendi army I doubt they could have been voidbringers. Perhaps just a small incarnation of the power of the spren you are referring to. But I do believe it very likely that this is not the end of the voidbringers and we have only seen an incling of thier power. A special spren that will match the KR with thier own champions does sound plausible.. Many Parshendi only reached the first bond of the anti-KR or something like that??

The Voidbringers brought on the desolations and fought the KR and the Heralds.. If Kal, Adolin with basic plate and blade so effectively devasted so much of the Parshendi army I doubt they could have been voidbringers. Perhaps just a small incarnation of the power of the spren you are referring to. But I do believe it very likely that this is not the end of the voidbringers and we have only seen an incling of thier power. A special spren that will match the KR with thier own champions does sound plausible.. Many Parshendi only reached the first bond of the anti-KR or something like that??

I like this idea in theory, but the thought of Odiumspren forming tight, mutually beneficial bonds with their hosts seems out of character. I would assume the relationship to be more parasitic, with the host unable to willingly deepen the bond, but rather being overtaken by the corruption of Odium.

Furthermore, don't forget that we are starting to see "squires" to the Knights Radiant- Lopen, etc. It could be that the Parshendi in Stormform are roughly analogous to this. Although now that I say that, I realize that the KR squires do not (as of yet) seem to have any spren bonds, while the Stormform Parshendi very definitely have been taken by the red lightning-like spren.

Do note that Kaladin wasn't particularly strong just after bonding with Syl. During the majority of his time as a Bridgeman, most of what he could do was unwittingly use it to heal and strengthen himself as well as redirecting some arrows. Once a Stormform Parshendi gets more used to his/her powers, I predict that they will be able to do more fearsome things that chanting and shooting randomly directed lightning.

I think even if we agree that the Voidbringers are just voidspren (spren from Odium), the fact that they need a vessel to affect the physical world, and that the listeners are such a good vessel makes the difference mostly a semantic one. Because the people who came up with the term "Voidbringer" probably never had to deal with the real Voidbringers, the voidspren, directly - they encountered them mostly in the symbiotic form, and interacted with them only through that form. So while "a listener vessel inhabited by a voidspren" might be a less accurate definition, it is the one people (on Roshar) would be familiar with.

Yes it is very likely and your description makes perfect sense.. but my speculation is to the origin of voidbringers, were they really these the same creatures from the first WOK prolouge just a different incarnation.. or are they different beings all together and we have not even seen what voidbringers could really be?

Speaking of visions, why wouldn't Honour show him a Desolation? Honour crafted them primarily to help Roshar avoid another Desolation, true, but even if he thought all would be lost if the Everstorm arrived and didn't bother to give any knowledge about fighting a Desolation, it would at least be helpful to know what to look for. As in

"Hey, the Listeners might transform into precursor-Voidbringers, so either make peace with them or go kill them all."

Edited by Aether

Speaking of visions, why wouldn't Honour show him a Desolation? Honour crafted them primarily to help Roshar avoid another Desolation, true, but even if he thought all would be lost if the Everstorm arrived and didn't bother to give any knowledge about fighting a Desolation

I disagree that Honor was trying to avoid another Desolation. Ignoring the strong possibility that he's probably responsible for them in the first place, he would have known one was inevitable, which is why he told Dalinar how to fight Odium (pick a champion, make him scared and believe that he can lose, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, all,

We have decided to move this to the WoR subforum. The purpose of the WoR subforum is to protect people from spoilers who haven't had a chance to read WoR yet. After a period of time (usually about 6 months or so) we may remove the subforum and move all the topics back to the stormlight archive main forum.

Please try to remain polite and on-topic during discussions, and I would ask if members would please refrain from corrective action on their own, and if you feel any moderator action should be performed to use the "report" link to bring it to our attention. I am going to remove the off-topic discussion from this thread.

Hey, all,

We have decided to move this to the WoR subforum. The purpose of the WoR subforum is to protect people from spoilers who haven't had a chance to read WoR yet. After a period of time (usually about 6 months or so) we may remove the subforum and move all the topics back to the stormlight archive main forum.

Please try to remain polite and on-topic during discussions, and I would ask if members would please refrain from corrective action on their own, and if you feel any moderator action should be performed to use the "report" link to bring it to our attention. I am going to remove the off-topic discussion from this thread.

You removed my feedback, the downvotes I posted and then moved this thread because why? I responded to Argents comment to move this thread. Which, by the way, his post is still in this thread even though it is off topic. This thread does not violate the rules for posting in the SA forum. It should not have been moved. Why did you remove my feedback? In my opinion certain posters on this forum deserved downvotes and you decided to remove them for no reason. This is supposed to be an official Brandon Sanderson fansite, not Argents fansite. Try following your own rules.

You removed my feedback, the downvotes I posted and then moved this thread because why? I responded to Argents comment to move this thread. Which, by the way, his post is still in this thread even though it is off topic. This thread does not violate the rules for posting in the SA forum. It should not have been moved. Why did you remove my feedback? In my opinion certain posters on this forum deserved downvotes and you decided to remove them for no reason. This is supposed to be an official Brandon Sanderson fansite, not Argents fansite. Try following your own rules.

I would direct you to a write up of our spolier policy as to why this was moved.

Specifically governing where things are posted:

All Words of Radiance spoilers belong in the Words of Radiance spoiler board. There, you will be able to freely talk about the publicly released sample chapters, and when the book comes out, obviously the book itself.

if you must post a Words of Radiance spoiler elsewhere (such as in the Stormlight board or General Brandon Discussion), they must, without exception be marked as such. That said, feel free to request a moderator to move the topic to the Words of Radiance board. To mark spoilers, use this:

Any WoR spoilers NOT in the WoR forum MUST BE MARKED with a spoiler tag. Not in the topic title, but in the post itself. Because of this, this topic would mostly be spoiler tags if this policy was followed, so it was deemed to be moved to the WoR subforum. If you disagree with this policy, you are free to bring it up to one of the admins.

So you move every topic that doesnt use a spoiler tag in the a post? And what about removing someone's feedback? Is that normal too? To restate a comment you removed, this topic is SA content, not Only WoR and putting it in this forum confuses the point.

So you move every topic that doesnt use a spoiler tag in the a post? And what about removing someone's feedback? Is that normal too? To restate a comment you removed, this topic is SA content, not Only WoR and putting it in this forum confuses the point.

The WoR subfolder isn't for WoR specific content/posts. It's for threads that contain large amounts of WoR specific spoilers, which this thread qualifies. After some 6 months, this restriction will be removed and this subforum will be merged with the Stormlight Archive forum at large.

As for removing the off-topic posts, I have removed them because they are off-topic and argumentative. If you wish to provide feedback on our policies, you may do so directly to the admins of the site, or start a topic in the "site feedback" forum. Being posted in this topic is outrageously off-topic. I have already arbitrated on this matter, but I have left the issue open for review by the admins. Any further posts on this subject in this topic will be removed without prejudice.

Ok, so I rushed to the bottom of this thread cause I just had an idea. What if the comment about the dead becoming voidbringers refers to HOW the parshendi are killed? Like if they are killed by regular arrows, swords they would just rise again (which would explain why they step over their dead. Maybe it is ingrained in their culture that the dead would rise back up?). This would also explain why shardblades sever the SOUL from the body, instead of cutting flesh. I don't have anything else to support my theory, and is probably a stretch but maybe there is something to it?

Scrapingtons,

Eventually, the topics in the Words of Radiance subforums will be moved out of there in a few months. There is just a mandatory period where Words of Radiance content will go there. From there, the general Stormlight Archive board will be able to cover both books. This just preserves some amount of spoilers for people who are perhaps slow readers. This is not a big deal and there is absolutely no reason to be so argumentative about it.

This would also explain why shardblades sever the SOUL from the body, instead of cutting flesh. I don't have anything else to support my theory, and is probably a stretch but maybe there is something to it?

That part, at least, I am pretty sure has to do with the nature of the Shardblades - namely, the fact that they are (dead) spren.

Wouldn't a Shardblade not kill a voidspren, because they aren't/don't have souls, but are cognitive creatures? it would make more sense to kill the spren that caused the parshman to turn into voidbringers, otherwise it's like treating the symptom and not the cause. Or are spren in the spiritual realm as well? 

I mean if voidspren are the only reason behind the creation of a voidbringer, Blades cutting souls suddenly doesn't seem the most effective way to deal with the issue.