Adolin will head down a much darker path than expected (Theory)

Necromancer

My main reasoning is a bit meta based. When an author of Brandon Sanderson's skill gives a man a gun, the man shoots the gun at some point. 

WoK spoilers below.

Now think back to WoK when Dalinar was half-convinced that he was suffering delusions. He made up a document that he signed allowing Adolin to take control of the house of Kholin at any time he sees fit. Now that Dalinar is going to be the head honcho of Roshar's saviors, imagine the damage that could be caused by Adolin invoking the contract.

WoR spoilers below.

The only story based evidence I have it that Adolin is the only man of the Kholin family to not be a KR and he may get jealous or something. Also, of course, the whole Sadeas thing.

Edited by Necromancer

There is absolutely no reason to use spoiler tags in your post. You are in the WoR forum, and anybody in here who hasn't read WoR deserves to be spoiled.

That being said, I disagree with you, at least for now. Brandon has mentioned that there are a number of orders that would be greatly pleased with Adolin's actions, so the odds of him attracting a spren are actually not all that bad. Instead of being annoyed with Kaladin and Shallan being radiants, he seemed to be fine with it.  While he might be made to feel inferior to the Radiants around him, he doesn't seem like the jealous type from what we've seen of him. If anything, it would spur him to try and become a Radiant, or at the very least to improve himself. I highly doubt he would move to depose his father, who he's fought tooth and nail for over the course of several years now. Adolin loves his father, and I see no reason at all, even consuming jealousy, that would make him heartless and stupid enough to try invoking the contract.

There is absolutely no reason to use spoiler tags in your post. You are in the WoR forum, and anybody in here who hasn't read WoR deserves to be spoiled.

That being said, I disagree with you, at least for now. Brandon has mentioned that there are a number of orders that would be greatly pleased with Adolin's actions, so the odds of him attracting a spren are actually not all that bad. Instead of being annoyed with Kaladin and Shallan being radiants, he seemed to be fine with it.  While he might be made to feel inferior to the Radiants around him, he doesn't seem like the jealous type from what we've seen of him. If anything, it would spur him to try and become a Radiant, or at the very least to improve himself. I highly doubt he would move to depose his father, who he's fought tooth and nail for over the course of several years now. Adolin loves his father, and I see no reason at all, even consuming jealousy, that would make him heartless and stupid enough to try invoking the contract.

I agree. Adolin is not the jealous type. He does not react negatively to Kaladin being a more proeficient warrior than he is, on the contrary: he wants him to fight side by side with him and he tries to get him to become his pal. Alright we could argue that Adolin is running short on friends, but still by the end of WoR, the only thing ressembling a frienship for Adolin is Kaladin.

I really, really do not see Adolin trying to overtake his father! He loves his father and his family. Dalinar is his role model, his idiol, he worships him throughout both books. Even when he thinks his father has come mad, he tries to find a way to help him, not undermine him.If Adolin ever invoke the contract it will be because he was broken down by others and brainwashed.

Great Chekhov's gun to remind us of! 

The other posters bring up good points - Brandon's words suggest that Adolin too may be a Radiant, and Adolin loves his father. There's also that moment where it seems like he could get jealous of Kaladin+Shalan and instead he says something like "I knew there was something up with that man" and "not another one lol". 

The gun is  too good though. I'm guessing there will be another reason why he feels compelled to use it at some point. Maybe it will relate to inter Radiant order politics, or Herald politics. A random idea just came to me - maybe he would use it to try and compel Dalinar to become king? Probably not but thought I'd mention it. 

I have a nagging (and perhaps unreasonable) suspicion that Adolin will turn out like Amaram did. Both of them are (were in Amaram's case) always being praised for being so loyal, brave, etc. Dalinar is always saying how Adolin will be a much better high prince than he was, but I feel that that might be too perfect to be true. Also, remember how Adolin was acting toward Kaladin at the beginning of WOR, he was acting in quite a petty and childish manner; he was jealous and angry with Kal when he had no right to be. Kaladin had to save his and his father's lives many times before he got anything but Adolin's scorn, and remember, it was saving their lives that started the whole behavior (okay, it was also bossing him around on the Tower plateau, but still, the point stands as Kaladin only told him to go away in order to save his life).

• 3 months later...

Was thinking about this again the other day and just wanted to give a quick bump.

Adolin loves his father, and I see no reason at all, even consuming jealousy, that would make him heartless and stupid enough to try invoking the contract.

True, but doesn't the big bad actually cause Hatred (capitol H)? If so, he may get to Adolin.

If Adolin ever invoke the contract it will be because he was broken down by others and brainwashed.

Agreed, brainwashed by Odium. 

Edited by Necromancer

Agreed, brainwashed by Odium. 

It would take a lot for Adolin to go against Dalinar. Even if he feels his father's disapproval over is actions, even if he goes as far as to believe Dalinar wants to execute him, it would still not be sufficient for him to break hard enough to try to undermine Dalinar is such way.

Adolin is not after power.

Perhaps if he gets physically tortured while thinking his entire family actually rejects him to the point of wanting him dead, then yeah perhaps he could crack down enough to try to invoke the letter. But I doubt Brandon would go as far.

By the end of WoR, Dalinar's visions have been proven to be right. The circumstances of that mentioned contract is different now and Dalinar himself can surely revoke it if necessary. Adolin killed Sadeas for his family, makes no sense to betray his family after. 

I believe if Adolin is getting jealous, he would have shown it when he learned of Kaladin. The rest of the KR are also his loved ones. Hard to speculate since he might be revealed to be a KR sooner or later. 

Adolin killing Sadeas is about as serious as Shallan killing her father imho. Threat to family and the act of murder, Shallan would even find it as something they share in common now.

By the end of WoR, Dalinar's visions have been proven to be right. The circumstances of that mentioned contract is different now and Dalinar himself can surely revoke it if necessary. Adolin killed Sadeas for his family, makes no sense to betray his family after.

I think the terms of the letter specifies Adolin can disposed of Dalinar is he proves insane. Dalinar wrote it as a safeguard for himself, fearing he may go crazy enough to not see to reason and thus destroy the family. He wanted Adolin to have a mean to remove him providing Dalinar is actually wrong about the visions. I do not think the letter allows Dalinar much ways to wriggle out of it. Adolin could still invoke the letter on the terms Dalinar has gone crazy by calling himself a Radiant, but really I just cannot see him doing that. Adolin going against Dalinar would be something major and completely out-of-character unless something dramatic happens to him.

I believe if Adolin is getting jealous, he would have shown it when he learned of Kaladin. The rest of the KR are also his loved ones. Hard to speculate since he might be revealed to be a KR sooner or later.

He is not the jealous type, I agree. He's had many chances to express jealousy in WoR and he chose to behave differently. On the other hand, he has shown tendency to depreciate his own self, which is probably how he'll react to the KR. He'll never go against them. As you pointed out, he loves every single one of them. They are his family, his wife to be, his only friend. Adolin is fiercely loyal to those he loves. He'll stand by them, he'll do everything to help them even if it tears him apart.

Adolin killing Sadeas is about as serious as Shallan killing her father imho. Threat to family and the act of murder, Shallan would even find it as something they share in common now.

Actually, I believe killing your father is worst due to the emotional attachment one is supposed to feel towards family.

We have had many discussions has to how Shallan would feel upon learning what Adolin did. No clear consensus have been reached. Some of us think she will be able to understand and may even grow protective of Adolin against his father's rage and other attacks he may suffer. Others think she will be repealed by it as she will be reminded of her father aggressivity and it will prompt her to end the relationship.

Yea I meant that the terms of the contract are invalid as of current events. Everyone knows by now that he is not mad with what happened on the Shattered Plains. So I think Dalinar certainly has the authority to challenge or revoke it, or perhaps get the King to overrule it if necessary. Mainly, Adolin wouldn't and couldn't prove the conditions of the contract to be valid. Dalinar's credibility is strong now or perhaps more so as a KR. 

Yea patricide is worse but her circumstances were more dire. She would be able to empathize and she admitted as much to Pattern that she considers herself a murderer. The other speculation is rather unlikely but hey, our imagination knows no bounds and maybe no logic! :ph34r:

I've wondered the same thing about Adolin as the original post.  I don't see that we really have evidence that he will, but I think the things we've seen would fit into supporting evidence if Brandon decides to go that way.  

I wonder if he would be willing to go that direction though.  I think a whole lot of people would hate it and be left with a lot of negative feelings toward the series in general, and that makes me think Brandon would also hate going that direction (not because of other people's concerns but because he himself wouldn't like that story).  It also sounds gimmicky (although my faith in Brandon is that he would make it believable).

I've wondered the same thing about Adolin as the original post.  I don't see that we really have evidence that he will, but I think the things we've seen would fit into supporting evidence if Brandon decides to go that way.  

I wonder if he would be willing to go that direction though.  I think a whole lot of people would hate it and be left with a lot of negative feelings toward the series in general, and that makes me think Brandon would also hate going that direction (not because of other people's concerns but because he himself wouldn't like that story).  It also sounds gimmicky (although my faith in Brandon is that he would make it believable).

I would be a bad plot twist, in my opinion, because it would be out-of-character for Adolin to invoke the letter. Besides, even if he gets possessed or brainwashed by some evil entity, the rest of his family would never led him go this far: they'll stop him. Besides, the letter authorizes Adolin to take over the Kohlin's princedom. Dalinar would still remain a Radiant and a Bondsmith, ie someone with much more authority than a Highprince. There is no purpose.

I could see Adolin being compelled into attempting to invoke the contract somehow, and then some resolution being reached in which Adolin is defeated and found not to be responsible. 

A lot depends upon how well (if at all) Odium can compel people to act.

I could see Adolin being compelled into attempting to invoke the contract somehow, and then some resolution being reached in which Adolin is defeated and found not to be responsible. 

A lot depends upon how well (if at all) Odium can compel people to act.

I guess he could be manipulated into trying it, but I do not see him going forward with it. He'll wake up out his trance before just like Kal did not go forward with the plan to assassinate Elhokar.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the contract as something that will be forgotten by all the main characters, and then something will happen ( Im thinking Adolin learns something from either the Diagram and Mr.T or from Naln) that causes him to have a twisted viewpoint about the Radiants and makes him decide he needs to take charge in order to "end the threat". And that's only if anything is really going to happen involving the contract.

personally I see it as much more likely that Dalinar is going to end up giving over control of the House to Adolin anyway.

I see the contract as something that will be forgotten by all the main characters, and then something will happen ( Im thinking Adolin learns something from either the Diagram and Mr.T or from Naln) that causes him to have a twisted viewpoint about the Radiants and makes him decide he needs to take charge in order to "end the threat". And that's only if anything is really going to happen involving the contract.

personally I see it as much more likely that Dalinar is going to end up giving over control of the House to Adolin anyway.

Will Dalinar still want to give control to house Kohlin to Adolin once he learns about the murder? That is the big question...

I agree to the title of thread, Adolin will be threading a darker path now, mostly with his conscience being destroyed, I think there's a 0 chance that he'll become a radiant, no spren will be attracted to a cowardly murderer. And in some parts in words of radiance, there's a hint that Kaladin has a little affection to Shallan, that's just what on my mind so. Yeah.

I agree to the title of thread, Adolin will be threading a darker path now, mostly with his conscience being destroyed, I think there's a 0 chance that he'll become a radiant, no spren will be attracted to a cowardly murderer. And in some parts in words of radiance, there's a hint that Kaladin has a little affection to Shallan, that's just what on my mind so. Yeah.

Adolin is everything but a coward! Murdering Sadeas the way he did was not cowardly. He did it in a fight, Sadeas had the chance to defend himself and for him to do such a thing is terrible. Lighteyes engage assassins, design plots to get rid of rivals, but they never put blood on their own hands. Taking the matter into his own hands and looking into the eyes of his victim as he killed it was courageous, especially since he will have to suffer the consequences of his actions.

No spren would attached themselves to him? How about Jasnah? How about Shallan? Murdering those thugs was an act of courage perhaps? Murdering your parents was admirable perhaps even if it was in self-defense? How about Dalinar? How many people did the Blackthorn cowardly murdered? Hundreds? Thousands? Kaladin never made any mistakes perhaps? He tried to commit suicide, he tried to have the king assassinated and yet Syl remained with him! Adolin has been nothing but a paragon of virtue up until the poor boy cracks under the pressure and commits one mistake. It's not like if he's turned into a serial killer... He killed one criminal responsible for the death of 6000 of his men who kept on taunting and taunting him. Plenty of sprens would admire his quality of always managing to do what is right no matter the consequences, sprens such as Dustbringers and Willshapers, both confirmed by Brandon.

As for Kaladin, well the worst way to resolve a love triangle is to uselessly kill one member... or to make one go plain evil... Getting rid of Adolin just so Shallan could explore a relationship with Kaladin would be a horrible plot and unbelievable shortcut. I have faith Brandon is a good enough writer that if Shalladin must happened, then he will find a convincing way to do it else than turning Adolin into a despicable pawn of Odium.

What I mean about my post Maxal is, that no spren will be attracted to Adolin, you see, in that part of the story,

After that, he had the presence of mind to cut off his cuffs, remove his chalkmark on the wall by scraping it free with his own Blade, and walk as far away as he could before finding one of his scoutingparties and pretending he’d been in that area all along.

That I think is a coward. I think that I should remove the murderer in my post, since it's irrelevant. Sorry about that. By Kaladin, he really did not do anything except when promising Moash blabla does resulting Syl to vanish, but at the end of the day, the intentions are not meet. Tracking back to Adolin, why would he not want to be known for killing Sadeas? Yeah, I agree with you, getting rid of Adolin just for a possible relationship for Shallan and Kaladin is pretty weak. Btw I don't recall reading any willshapers in the book. Maybe I skipped some of the pages :S. 

What I mean about my post Maxal is, that no spren will be attracted to Adolin, you see, in that part of the story,

That I think is a coward. I think that I should remove the murderer in my post, since it's irrelevant. Sorry about that. By Kaladin, he really did not do anything except when promising Moash blabla does resulting Syl to vanish, but at the end of the day, the intentions are not meet. Tracking back to Adolin, why would he not want to be known for killing Sadeas? Yeah, I agree with you, getting rid of Adolin just for a possible relationship for Shallan and Kaladin is pretty weak. Btw I don't recall reading any willshapers in the book. Maybe I skipped some of the pages :S. 

We have had several discussions about Adolin and his murder of Sadeas...

You asked why he would not want to be known for his killing? Because the repercussions would be huge, both to himself and to his father whom he adores. It would undermine all the authority Dalinar has painfully managed to extract. It would put him in the position of a criminal to be trialed for murdering a highprince, a crime for which the lawful punishment is either death or banishment. Knowing all this, of course, Adolin does not want to be known for the said murder!

But if Adolin is such a nice boy, why doesn't he just accept what he has done and come clean to Dalinar? Why hiding everything and behaving like a criminal? Why not pretend it was self-defense? After all, traces of a struggle are quite obvious.... Because he is in shock. He snapped, he momentarily lost it and once he comes back to himself, his initial reaction is one of utter shock. After such events, the natural impulse usually is to try to make the mistake disappear. It is a quite normal reaction: he realized what he has done, he refused to accept it, he tries to hide it. He does not behave rationally. He does not think it through, he just acts out of impulse and yeah, it'll come back to bite his tail.

If you look back at the scenes starting at the battle on the plains, you see that every single events were designed to mentally unhinged Adolin to the point where he looses his self-control.

Kaladin has a few bad things based on impulse throughout the book: refusing to denounce Moash, taking part in Moash's plan, giving sahrds to a known traitor and nearly letting the traitor get their way... Well you know, these were not very brave actions on Kaladin's part. He took the easy way out and at the very last minute he got a flash of reality check and says his oaths again. He is lucky Syl decided to come back.... Adolin did one mistake, just one.

The Willshapers comments was made by Brandon. Someone asked him if any orders would accept Adolin, he said many would. Someone asked about the WIllshapers and the Dustbringers and he said they would take him in despite his murder of Sadeas. So yeah, he is still is proto-Radiant material, depending on how he chooses to deal with his actions.

BS has already stated that there is some KR orders that would be very happy with what Adolin did to Sadeas (dustbringers for an example).

I would be very surprised if Adolin doesnt turn out to be a Radiant as well at the end of the next book. 

But, i was wondering about this heading in chapter 86 in WoR:

One is almost certainly a traitor to the others. —From the Diagram, Book of the 2nd Ceiling Rotation: paragraph 27

I think that it may refer to the KR orders, and one order will have a trator. How cool would it be if the traitor turn out to be Adolin ? I think that the fact that Adolin doesnt have any scheduled flashback book may support this theory i litle bit.

BS ...

I think that it may refer to the KR orders, and one order will have a trator. How cool would it be if the traitor turn out to be Adolin ? I think that the fact that Adolin doesnt have any scheduled flashback book may support this theory i litle bit.

Nice catch.  What an intriguing quote.

Certainly possible for a Knight to be a traitor.  I'm more inclined to think there could be a Herald traitor (cough, cough, Nale).  The use of the present tense seems wrong to be referring to knights, as they are not necessarily knights yet and are not working together.  Less likely to me is the possibility that one of the Unmade is a traitor to the others.