428 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Zaria shook her head. "Orb and I were talking... I think we figured out how my memories come back. The memory loss isn't induced by the seizures, it brings memories back!" She grinned. "It reminds me of how people used to go out into the mists on Scadrial, and it would bring out their allomantic powers!" She smiled. "But yes. If I can help, I will."

The seizures brought the memories back? Presevation's wings this girl's boons and banes were odd

Just now, Rushu42 said:

Aln looked quickly back and forth between people, trying to follow a conversation where someone was out of her line of sight at all times. She had jumped and summoned her Shardshield when Zaria had shown up, half-expecting an attack, but at this point it was clear the listener was an ally. Poller's question, thankfully, gave her something to focus on and she jumped to answer. "Perhaps you were a compounder? Although that still wouldn't give you a particular skill in combat. A different type of Twinborn could be the answer, or even another system of Investiture entirely - it's hard to say without more to go on."

"This was my idea too, not many people know it but it's possible for a Compounders to become a Savant, for a Bronze Compounder the side effect would probably be to be extremely sleepy whenever they're not tapping bronze"

9 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Zaria attuned confusion. "Forgery? What is that?" She shook her head. "No. I lost my memory in Scadrial a few months back."

"In Scadrial? I thought that was a side effect of your Nightwatcher bane?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

Zaria attuned confusion. "Forgery? What is that?" She shook her head. "No. I lost my memory in Scadrial a few months back."

"Oh. Well... good to hear it's getting better, but... we seem to have found that most of the Alleyverse is similarly afflicted. Aln and I," he said, gesturing, "seem to have memories of a different Alleyverse, or glimpses, or something... from something called a Forgery... and something attacked Aln when she figured it out... and..."

He took a deep breath. "I... don't really know what's going on. But we're going to the hospital to try and figure it out. They might have some others with wrong memories, or some clue as to what's happening... it sounds like Folorian and I are going through the normal way while Aln's trying to sneak around. Or something."

He looked sheepishly at Aln. "Er... Aln, you could probably explain it better. I still have barely a clue what a normal Forgery is."

Just now, Rushu42 said:

Aln looked quickly back and forth between people, trying to follow a conversation where someone was out of her line of sight at all times. She had jumped and summoned her Shardshield when Zaria had shown up, half-expecting an attack, but at this point it was clear the listener was an ally. Poller's question, thankfully, gave her something to focus on and she jumped to answer. "Perhaps you were a compounder? Although that still wouldn't give you a particular skill in combat. A different type of Twinborn could be the answer, or even another system of Investiture entirely - it's hard to say without more to go on."

"I don't really know... Compounding would explain why I'm so dependent on it. But I don't think I did that... I feel like I wasn't supposed to run into that thing. Like some kind of battlefield support instead of a soldier... like a battle engineer? Is that a thing?"

"And... what's a savant?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aln put up a hand. "Please, I'm losing track of this conversation. Perhaps we may discuss one subject at a time? Zaria, why don't you explain everything you remember, and then we can fill you in on what we know?"

@mathiau @Ashbringer @Random Bystander

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mathiau said:

The seizures brought the memories back? Presevation's wings this girl's boons and banes were odd

"This was my idea too, not many people know it but it's possible for a Compounders to become a Savant, for a Bronze Compounder the side effect would probably be to be extremely sleepy whenever they're not tapping bronze"

"In Scadrial? I thought that was a side effect of your Nightwatcher bane?"

She sighed. "I don't even know. Orb said my boon was adventure. I was very bored on Roshar, apparently."

3 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln put up a hand. "Please, I'm losing track of this conversation. Perhaps we may discuss one subject at a time? Zaria, why don't you explain everything you remember, and then we can fill you in on what we know?"

@mathiau @Ashbringer @Random Bystander

"Okay. So I remember waking up on Scadrial. The only things I remembered was my name, Orb's name, how I'm a Radiant and a Slider, and the Rhythms. I don't actually know much, but I can speak most languages for some reason. Rusts! I didn't even know what being a Radiant or a Slider was until last month! I know about the 3 metallic arts, the 10 orders of radiants, the surges, and now my nightwatcher boon and bane. That's just about it."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

She sighed. "I don't even know. Orb said my boon was adventure. I was very bored on Roshar, apparently."

"Okay. So I remember waking up on Scadrial. The only things I remembered was my name, Orb's name, how I'm a Radiant and a Slider, and the Rhythms. I don't actually know much, but I can speak most languages for some reason. Rusts! I didn't even know what being a Radiant or a Slider was until last month! I know about the 3 metallic arts, the 10 orders of radiants, the surges, and now my nightwatcher boon and bane. That's just about it."

To be fair, it was more than most people of the Cosmere knew about investiture

"You mentioned the Rhythms? As in, the Rhythms of Roshar?" That was surprising, right now Folorian could only see her as a blur but he remember how she looked at the Traders Heaven and she was definitely not a Singer

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mathiau said:

To be fair, it was more than most people of the Cosmere knew about investiture

"You mentioned the Rhythms? As in, the Rhythms of Roshar?" That was surprising, right now Folorian could only see her as a blur but he remember how she looked at the Traders Heaven and she was definitely not a Singer

"Yes?" She turned to Orb. "That's what I hear, right?"

"Yes. You are different from most people... I don't remember why, but you are."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Random Bystander said:

"Yes?" She turned to Orb. "That's what I hear, right?"

"Yes. You are different from most people... I don't remember why, but you are."

Folorian switched his focus to Zaria's Reacher in emergency when he realized she was talking to them, he still missed part of what Orb said

"different from people... I don't remember why, but you are."

"Er... I have one of the weirdest Nightwacher bane and it made me miss whether your sentence started with a 'yes' or a 'no'."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mathiau said:

Folorian switched his focus to Zaria's Reacher in emergency when he realized she was talking to them, he still missed part of what Orb said

"different from people... I don't remember why, but you are."

"Er... I have one of the weirdest Nightwacher bane and it made me miss whether your sentence started with a 'yes' or a 'no'."

"Wait, really? That is strange. Anyway, the answer is yes. Apparently, I am different from most people, and Orb doesn't remember why."

"It is quite frustrating to not remember the past." Orb agreed.

Quote

The hilarious thing is that neither of them currently know about the existence of shardblades, beyond the one they saw earlier. I think I need to fix that.

"Oh! I've been meaning to ask people. What are the magic swords that people keep summoning? I don't remember seeing anything like them before this."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

"Wait, really? That is strange. Anyway, the answer is yes. Apparently, I am different from most people, and Orb doesn't remember why."

"It is quite frustrating to not remember the past." Orb agreed.

"Oh! I've been meaning to ask people. What are the magic swords that people keep summoning? I don't remember seeing anything like them before this."

Indeed, strange was what his curse was.

"Normally humans cannot hear the Rhythms, unless they're Seekers but I assume that's not your case?" It was the Alleyverse so there was way to become a Seeker in addition to being a Slider, Folorian could think of three though two of them were quite unlikely. "The magical swords are known as Shardblades, they're weapon able to cut through anything that's neither alive not aluminium and able to cut the soul of anything alive. Orb will be able to transform into one when you swear more oaths, with orders you obtain this power with the 3rd oath"

Quote

Note, NullBlade did not summon his blade when he helped Zaria, he is immune to the process of bounding a blade so he wear it on his back (and his sword does have a gem for her to bound with people anyway)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mathiau said:

Indeed, strange was what his curse was.

"Normally humans cannot hear the Rhythms, unless they're Seekers but I assume that's not your case?" It was the Alleyverse so there was way to become a Seeker in addition to being a Slider, Folorian could think of three though two of them were quite unlikely. "The magical swords are known as Shardblades, they're weapon able to cut through anything that's neither alive not aluminium and able to cut the soul of anything alive. Orb will be able to transform into one when you swear more oaths, with orders you obtain this power with the 3rd oath"

Quote

There was the soulcast "shardblade" as well. She probably would have seen some during her week in the Alleyverse. 

"Oaths?" She attuned Confusion. "What oaths? And how would Orb turn into one of those Shardblades."

"I would make a rather impressive looking sword, don't you think?" 

"Probably." 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Random Bystander said:

"Oaths?" She attuned Confusion. "What oaths? And how would Orb turn into one of those Shardblades."

"I would make a rather impressive looking sword, don't you think?" 

"Probably." 

She didn't remembered the ten orders but not the Oaths? That was surprising

"Does the words 'Life before death, power before weakness, journey before destination' remind you of anything" what was their second Oath again? "Maybe something like 'I will seek freedom'?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mathiau said:

She didn't remembered the ten orders but not the Oaths? That was surprising

"Does the words 'Life before death, power before weakness, journey before destination' remind you of anything" what was their second Oath again? "Maybe something like 'I will seek freedom'?"

"No." she looked at Orb.

"I'm as confused as you are."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Einladung Hospital, Triage Ward

"He's stable, but completely unresponsive," the orderly explained to the lead Edgedancer, pushing along a gurney. "Someone found him standing in the middle of the side street, like he'd just fallen asleep on his feet. Except nobody could get him to do... anything."

The Edgedancer looked up from his paper at her. "So he's dead? Heart attack? Then why in-"

"No, we can't get anything. He won't move, and he's perfectly rigid. It's like he's been petrified. I've never heard of anything that can do that."

"I see." The Edgedancer inhaled a sphere of Stormlight, then removed one of his gloves and tapped a finger on the frozen boy's forehead.

Nothing happened.

"Send a message to the Scholar's Guild, I suppose. They may know something. In the meantime, I see no reason that his condition would deteriorate, so put him on a low priority. Have someone check him regularly and see if Jaan can Seek any residual Investiture when he gets the chance."

The orderly nodded, and carted Byron away to the end of the wing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 2:28 PM, Random Bystander said:

"No." she looked at Orb.

"I'm as confused as you are."

"Your condition is fascinating, and I'd love to help you understand it. However, we are currently in the middle of a separate investigation. Perhaps we may delay this conversation somewhat? You've expressed interest in assisting us in our efforts. Allow me to explain what's going on, and then you may decide whether that's still the case."

Aln proceeded to lay out, as succinctly as she could, her memories of the Dark Alley, the theory of the WorldForgery, and what they hoped to discover within the building. "As you can see," she finished, "this is a rather dangerous situation. I do not ask you to put yourself in harm's way unless you agree with what we're attempting."

Quote

Ok, so it's a little lazy to just say "Aln explains everything", but I tried to write a succinct explanation several times, and was never satisfied with it. I figured that it's better to stop holding up the thread than to persist.

@mathiau @Ashbringer

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

"Your condition is fascinating, and I'd love to help you understand it. However, we are currently in the middle of a separate investigation. Perhaps we may delay this conversation somewhat? You've expressed interest in assisting us in our efforts. Allow me to explain what's going on, and then you may decide whether that's still the case."

Aln proceeded to lay out, as succinctly as she could, her memories of the Dark Alley, the theory of the WorldForgery, and what they hoped to discover within the building. "As you can see," she finished, "this is a rather dangerous situation. I do not ask you to put yourself in harm's way unless you agree with what we're attempting."

@mathiau @Ashbringer

"Yeah, I'm still good with joining." She then turned to Orb. "We're going to have to figure out this whole oath thing."

Quote

The good thing about her not knowing the oaths, is that she can't break the oaths. I mean, it's up to the Spren's interpretation, right? And if Orb doesn't know... :P (of course, she is going to have to learn about the oaths soon.)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

"Yeah, I'm still good with joining." She then turned to Orb. "We're going to have to figure out this whole oath thing."

Aln was right, they needed to go and did have time to help Zaria much, but Folorian couldn't decently let a Radiant go without tell her about the first Oath

"The Oaths are a set of sentences Radiants swear and live by, the first is always 'Life before Death, Power before Weakness, Journey before Destination', you'll figure out the rest yourself when you're ready."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Aln was right, they needed to go and did have time to help Zaria much, but Folorian couldn't decently let a Radiant go without tell her about the first Oath

"The Oaths are a set of sentences Radiants swear and live by, the first is always 'Life before Death, Power before Weakness, Journey before Destination', you'll figure out the rest yourself when you're ready."

"Huh. Well, I guess it's not surprising that I don't remember. I don't remember Roshar or my family or anything, so this I guess this is expected."

Quote

She's sworn the second oath.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I've returned to the Shard! Apologies for the long period of inactivity. It appears I didn't miss anything while I was gone, though... I hope the Alleyverse isn't dying.

Aln looked around at the group. "Well, I don't suppose we have much time to waste. Remember, we're primarily looking for people with unexplained memories, but anything that might give a clue to the Dark Alley's plan should be helpful."

She took a deep breath of stormlight and summoned Pel as a shield on her arm. "Everyone ready?"

@Ashbringer @mathiau @Random Bystander

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln looked around at the group. "Well, I don't suppose we have much time to waste. Remember, we're primarily looking for people with unexplained memories, but anything that might give a clue to the Dark Alley's plan should be helpful."

She took a deep breath of stormlight and summoned Pel as a shield on her arm. "Everyone ready?"

@Ashbringer @mathiau @Random Bystander

"Yeah. We are splitting up, right?" She attuned Determination.

"Hm, does everyone here have problems with memories?"

"I don't think so."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Random Bystander said:

"Yeah. We are splitting up, right?" She attuned Determination.

"Hm, does everyone here have problems with memories?"

"I don't think so."

"That's the plan. The two of us are to try and sneak in the back using some lightweaving, while Folorian takes Poller in the front under the pretense of wishing to submit him as a patient. That way they should be taken directly to the Cognitive Ward, while we have a better shot at seeing anything the hospital is attempting to hide."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rushu42 said:

"That's the plan. The two of us are to try and sneak in the back using some lightweaving, while Folorian takes Poller in the front under the pretense of wishing to submit him as a patient. That way they should be taken directly to the Cognitive Ward, while we have a better shot at seeing anything the hospital is attempting to hide."

"Okay." She said, still attuning Determination. 

"Should I stay here?" asked Orb.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

"Okay." She said, still attuning Determination. 

"Should I stay here?" asked Orb.

Quote

Is Orb speaking aloud, or mentally to Zaria?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

 

Quote

Orb is speaking out loud. They don't know how to speak to each other mentally yet.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"That's the plan. The two of us are to try and sneak in the back using some lightweaving, while Folorian takes Poller in the front under the pretense of wishing to submit him as a patient. That way they should be taken directly to the Cognitive Ward, while we have a better shot at seeing anything the hospital is attempting to hide."

Folorian was having serious trouble following what everyone was saying, he felt like he was missing half of what Zaria and Orb were saying

Hmm... normally what they're saying would be said by thought, did they forget how to do that too?

Maybe "Speaking with four persons is very hard for me and Poller genuinely needs to see a doctor so I suggest we go ahead while you two work the quirk of your part?"

@Ashbringer@Random Bystander

Edited by mathiau
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mathiau said:

Folorian was having serious trouble following what everyone was saying, he felt like he was missing half of what Zaria and Orb were saying

Hmm... normally what they're saying would be said by thought, did they forget how to do that too?

Maybe "Speaking with four persons is very hard for me and Poller genuinely needs to see a doctor so I suggest we go ahead while you two work the quirk of your part?"

@Ashbringer@Random Bystander

"Alright." She said simply. She turned to Orb. "I would prefer it if you stayed close by, but it's up to her." She nodded her head to Aln.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.