Were all the Heralds at Gavilars Assassination night? (WoR Spoilers)

Releaser

We have WoB that we will see the Prologue chapter in all the first 5 books but from a different POV.

so far we have seen, Nalan, Jezrien, and confirmed WoB that Shallash destroyed her statue the night of the assassination. There is also speculation that Nalan was talking to Kalak in the Prologue. 

So with the exception of Taln (or the man Brandon wants us all to think is not Taln) being the only herald that couldn't be there. 

Am I crazy?  Thoughts?

Question
Is Baxil's Mistress destroying statues of the Herald Shalash?
Brandon Sanderson
Yes. Actually in the prologue her statue is missing because Baxil's mistress came through.

This is assuming Baxil's mistress is Shalash. BS seems to be extremely careful not to confirm any character is a Herald (people focus on Taln, but AFAIK not a single 'Herald' has been confirmed to really be the Herald).

The statue was gone not replaced and that implies that she had been there in the past, the staff and noticed the broken statue and had taken it to be either replaced or repaired.  That implies that some time has paced and she was not there that night.  A treaty signing with the listeners, who are somehow related to voidbringers/binders and the desolations, would be the type of event that would draw the attention of the Heralds though.

Green Hoody, a lot of people are convinced that the drunk at the beggars feast was Jesrien but I'm not convinced.

Edited by thejopen27

We have WoB that Ash/Shalash destroyed her statue that night? Really? 

Q: Did the mistress from the interlude in book 1 destroy the Shalash statue on the night of Gavilar's death?

A: Yes, and also all the other ones that we've seen, including the one in Shallan's vision in Words of Radiance.

Q: Is the mistress Shalash?

A: RAFO.

from Lexington signing

Edited by Releaser

Where was Jezrien? So far the only ones I know about being "confirmed" are by theory that nalan was talking to kalak that night... 

Baxil's mistress (surmised to be Shalash) had been through, but it doesn't say she did it that night. 

Current theory is that Jezrien was the beggar who says "Have you seen me?" to Szeth.

I think we saw all of the male heralds except Ishar.  Does anyone else recall having seen Ishar?

That apparently doesn't read the same to both of us... 

I read that as "did the mistress destroy the statue (that we see missing on the night of Gavilar's death)? 

"yes, and she also destroyed every other messed up statue you've seen"

I don't read that as him confirming it happened that night, but that she is the one that did it. 

I believe that the evidence of Nalan being there comes from WoK, page 21

"Elhokar, the king's son and heir, sat at a high table, ruling the feast in his father's absence. He was in conversation with two men, a dark skinned Azish man who had an odd patch of pale skin on his cheek, and a thinner, Alethi looking man who kept glancing over his shoulder."

At least that is how it struck me, based upon this:

-"A man stood before him, wearing a crisp black and silver uniform. He had dark brown skin like a man from the Makabaki region, but had a pale mark on his right cheek in the shape of a small hooked crescent" WoR pg 1062

-the stormlight archive wiki says that the Azish are one of the tribes of Makabaki

ALSO:

both of these quotes are from Szeth's PoV. The first from the night of the assassination of Gavilar, and the second from when Szeth gets raised from the dead. Immediately after Nalan tucks away the glowing fabrial, Szeth and he have the following little tidbit of conversation:

"I recognize you," Szeth realized. "I've seen you somewhere before."

"You have." 

(those page numbers come from the kindle ap on my pc, so I dont know how they translate to the print version)

Edited by GeoMancer

A bit off-topic: Has someone ever asked Brandon if the Heralds = Ten Fools ? The person talking to Nalan in the Prologue said something about him getting worse ? What if the Heralds turn slowly into the 10 Fools if the don't go back to Damnation.

Back to the topic: It's possible that they were all present, but I tend to doubt it. 4500 Years are a long time and I don't think that their immortality is confirmed .. so some of them could even have died ( stormlight does not heal everything ). Even if we ignore such worst case scenarios.. everyone knows how hard it is to get a dozen close friends to attend a party - some of them already have plans, they could be sick and so on. I think it's likely that some of them just couldn't spare the time. But I could be to realistic here, it's a book after all.

Current theory is that Jezrien was the beggar who says "Have you seen me?" to Szeth.

I think we saw all of the male heralds except Ishar.  Does anyone else recall having seen Ishar?

There is another line of thought which has Ishar as the beggar.  That would leave Jezrien and some of the female heralds unaccounted for.

4500 Years are a long time and I don't think that their immortality is confirmed .. so some of them could even have died ( stormlight does not heal everything ). Even if we ignore such worst case scenarios.. everyone knows how hard it is to get a dozen close friends to attend a party - some of them already have plans, they could be sick and so on. I think it's likely that some of them just couldn't spare the time. But I could be to realistic here, it's a book after all.

Given just how important this party would be, given that it could start a new desolation, I would say that it might be a tad bit easier to get everybody there than a random night out with friends.  I mean, what else would the Herald's do if they heard about such a thing?  They aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing, which probably leaves their schedule's kind of open when something they really care about comes up.

I mean, when you just invite friends over, sure, they can have a dentist's appointment which interferes.  But when your mother dies?  Dentist appointment cancelled, new plans, the whole family makes it unless they are physically/financially constrained, and sometime even then.  If the Herald's deliberately attended, it would be the same thing.

As for them dying, I seriously doubt it.  First of all, my best guess is that if they die, they go back to Damnation.  So, big motivator there for them not to.  Many people wonder if there is life after death.  They don't wonder; they know and would seriously rather not.  Secondly, they are apparently pretty powerful in their own right.  This is just a guess, of course, but it seems likely.

I have a pet theory, that Liss/the weaper is Vedeledev So here is a copy/paste from that thread.

Herald_Vev.png

Evidence:

1) her accent. considering the herald inate language abilities, he skill with changing her accent seems perfectly reasonable.

2) gouging out the eyes. Vedeledev's body focus in the eyes. the weeper gouges them out. but gouging out the eyes seems a bit extreme, even if you do kill with a shardblade. why? because in a world dominated by shardblade and plate, gouging out the eyes would be a dead giveaway if someone bothered to put two and two together.

2b) there is no evidence that she has light eyes. infact, the maid's outfit she appears in seems evidence to the contrary. now how would she have a shard blade and still have dark eyes, unless she is a herald? rember szeth's eyes only changed color when he had summoned his blade (I think, I don't have the quote though)

3)I am a believer in the idea that after the heralds broke the oathpact, they lived based on a corrupted version of the attributes. Vedeledev's divine attributes are loving and healing. A hired assassin is about as for from that as you can get.

As for the number of honorblades, she might have been the herald to reclaim theirs, or brandon/the stone shamans might have mislead us.

I thought that Liss might be a Herald too, but the fact that she found Szeth to be a creepy servant dissuaded me. The Heralds should have enough experience to not be creeped out by a Truthless - plus I have a gut feeling that a Herald would've been able to figure out that he has an Honorblade somehow.

• Chaos locked this topic