The reply

Observer

Alright, I didn't see a topic for this, and in the event that there isn't one, I think we still need an official place to discuss this.Starting at Chapter 59, "Fleet", the epigraphs become the reply to the letter written by Hoid, shown in the WoK epigraphs. The whole letter is here:

I'll address this letter to my "old friend," as I have no idea what name you're using currently.

Have you given up the gemstone, now that it is dead? And do you no longer hide behind the name of your old master? I am told that in your current incarnation you've taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues.

This is, I suspect, a little like a skunk naming itself for its stench.

Now, look what you made me say. You've always been able to bring out the most extreme in me, old friend. And I do still name you a friend, for all that you weary me.

Yes, I'm disappointed. Perpetually, as you put it.

Is not the destruction we have wrought enough? The worlds you now trad bear the touch and design of Adonalsium. Our interference so far has brought nothing but pain.

My path has been chosen very deliberately. Yes, I agree with everything you have said about Rayse, including the severe danger he presents.

However, it seems to me that all things have been set up for a purpose, and if we--as infants--stumble thought the workshop, we risk exacerbating, not preventing, a problem.

Rayse is captive. He cannot leave the system he now inhabits. His destructing potential is, therefore, inhibited.

Whether this was Tanavant's design or not, millenia have passed without Rayse taking the life of another of the sixteen, I do not believe we could hope for a better outcome than this.He bears the weight of God's own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context. He is what we made him to be, old friend. And that is what he, unfortunately, wished to become.

I suspect that he is more a force than an individual now, despite you insistence to the contrary. That force is contained, and an equilibrium reached.

You, however, have never been a force for equilibrium. You tow chaos behind you like a corpse dragged by one leg through the snow. Please, hearken to my plea. Leave that place and join me in my oath of nonintervention.
The cosmere itself may depend upon our restraint.

Also, for convenient reference, I have posted the original letter below as well.

Old friend, I hope this missive finds you well. Though, as you are now essentially immortal, I would guess that wellness on your part is something of a given. I realize that you are probably still angry. That is pleasant to know. Much as your perpetual health, I have come to rely upon your dissatisfaction with me. It is one of the cosmere’s great constants, I should think.

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say. You do not agree with my quest. I understand that, so much as it is possible to understand someone with whom I disagree so completely. Might I be quite frank? Before, you asked why I was so concerned. It is for the following reason: Ati was once a kind and generous man, and you saw what became of him. Rayse, on the other hand, was among the most loathsome, crafty, and dangerous individuals I had ever met. He holds the most frightening and terrible of all of the Shards. Ponder on that for a time, you old reptile, and tell me if your insistence on nonintervention holds firm. Because I assure you, Rayse will not be similarly inhibited. One need only look at the aftermath of his brief visit to Sel to see proof of what I say. In case you have turned a blind eye to that disaster, know that Aona and Skai are both dead, and that which they held has been Splintered. Presumably to prevent anyone from rising up to challenge Rayse.

You have accused me of arrogance in my quest. You have accused me of perpetuating my grudge against Rayse and Bavadin. Both accusations are true. Neither point makes the things I have written to you here untrue. I am being chased. Your friends of the Seventeenth Shard, I suspect. I believe they’re still lost, following a false trail I left for them. They’ll be happier that way. I doubt they have any inkling what to do with me should they actually catch me. If anything I have said makes a glimmer of sense to you, I trust that you’ll call them off. Or maybe you could astound me and ask them to do something productive for once. For I have never been dedicated to a more important purpose, and the very pillars of the sky will shake with the results of our war here. I ask again. Support me. Do not stand aside and let disaster consume more lives. I’ve never begged you for something before, old friend. I do so now. 

Edited by Observer

I'm assuming the "old reptile" is a dragon, and that his name is Khryss. Does anyone else find it pretty scary that this individual, who is supposedly far more Cosmere-aware than Hoid, thinks that what Hoid is doing is very, very dangerous?

Also, note the over-text of the letter exchange: Hoid is arguing for intervention on Roshar in order to save lives there. Khryss is arguing for non-intervention on the grounds that whatever disasters might take place on Roshar, they will not spread to the rest of the Cosmere....unless he and Hoid meddle. Anyone else see a parallel to Journey before Destination?

I've always found Hoid to be on the wrong end of the first ideal. He mentions to Dalinar that he'll gladly burn down Roshar and everyone on it to get what he wants, regardless of how he feels about it. Actually, he reminds me of Vargo in that respect.

Hum, well Khriss is definitely a human woman (from White Sand) and not a shardholder so far as I know. Although, she doesn't exhibit much Cosmere awareness in that book, so something must change about her. She is something of a scholar.

I doubt that she is the writer of the reply as I can't imagine how she is an "old friend" of Hoid's. She is not Yolish.

What I find interesting is the mention of Rayse being "what we made him":

"He is what we made him to be, old friend. And that is what he, unfortunately, wished to become." - The Reply

Does this imply that the shardholders/Hoid were to blame for the shattering of Adonalsium? That it wasn't a mistake but rather that they chose it and the specific shards they now hold?

---

The writer of the reply certainly implies that he believes there to be a grand plan to the direction of the Cosmere. I wonder what makes him believe so?

"The worlds you now tread bear the touch and design of Adonalsium. Our interference so far has brought nothing but pain."

"However, it seems to me that all things have been set up for a purpose, and if we--as infants--stumble thought the workshop, we risk exacerbating, not preventing, a problem."

Why "design of Adonalsium"? If it is shattered, how can it be designing anything?

---

Also, any thoughts on what "the gemstone" is and how it can be "dead"? Argent, I believe, asked if it was the sphere Gavilar gives to Szeth and got a RAFO. My mind is crazily imagining it to be the cognitive aspect of something that is "dead" and has somehow been pulled into the physical realm (in a way opposite to Jasnah elsecalling her physical body into Shadesmar).

*Edited for weird spacing

Edited by EnaMai

• 4 weeks later...

Yolen holds the prototype magic systems for just about every planet. There were these pink gem things (Mraize has one in his room) that are built similarly to Seons and Spren, so I imagine that if there's a gemstone that is "dead", it'd be that one. I've never actually taken time to wonder what Adonalsium did when it was in one piece. We know from WoB that it was shattered intentionally, but what it was doing beforehand is a mystery. 

Yolen holds the prototype magic systems for just about every planet. There were these pink gem things (Mraize has one in his room) that are built similarly to Seons and Spren, so I imagine that if there's a gemstone that is "dead", it'd be that one. I've never actually taken time to wonder what Adonalsium did when it was in one piece. We know from WoB that it was shattered intentionally, but what it was doing beforehand is a mystery. 

OK, where do we see/get this complete Yolen story?      I found an opening chapter thing but not the whole thing, like people are referencing here.     Could someone post a link or something?

• Chaos locked this topic